C Crane CCRANE SKYWAVE w/SSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

2-inch speaker - better than average

A small speaker on a palm-sized pocket radio is a given. It is what it is. Maybe there's more to it that doesn't show up as any specific marketing point...

Normally I use headphones / earbuds 90% of the time, but when I do use just the front speaker, I always admired the sound it *can* produce. Yep - don't expect big bass. :) Still, very clear and enjoyable to me for those 10% of the times I use it.

Maybe it is because the CCrane Skywave speakers more resemble large headphone diaphragms that just a cheap flat mylar cone.

Caught the glints in between the speaker holes and looked further. Sure looks like huge headphone drivers to me. With round radial creases in the diaphragm.

So I dug further, and see that these creases in the diaphragm, or more accurately the flexure, help prevent modal break up. (non pistonic resonant distortion across the surface).

I cheated and learned about model breakup and flexure creasing here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-headphone-dynamic-drivers-work

So yeah, I didn't buy the Skywave to rock the house. But it shows an attempt to provide the best fidelity no matter what band you are using, and perhaps make sure the SiLabs chips can be heard as best as possible in this dinky form factor.

I got my propeller-hat on for this one. :)

nanZor

Just to be honest - I haven't ripped the case apart. When shining a VERY bright light into it, I always see a directional radial pattern, BUT it could be a case of visual trickery. I'll have to waight until I drop the radio - someone else will have to do it if they want to verify. :)

KE0GXN

Would the Skywave SSB make for a good starter radio? I am interested in getting into shortwave listening, but have no idea where to start radio wise. I have read the reviews on the Skywave SSB and it seems to have everything I would like to start out with.

Boombox

I do not have one but aside from any learning curve in operating it (not sure there even is a learning curve) it would be a good one, from everything I've read.

KE0GXN

I do not have one but aside from any learning curve in operating it (not sure there even is a learning curve) it would be a good one, from everything I've read.

Well, looks like its going to have to be my starter SW radio, Santa, aka my wife had it under the tree for me this morning! :D

So far so good, tuned in WTWW for awhile and I am now listening to a QSO on 7.218 LSB/SSB.

dvendt

I had a hard decision to make between the CCrane SSB and the Tecsun PL-880. the only reason I went with the Tecsun was because of the "line Out" feature. If CCrane had it I would have bought it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.