BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok, When my scanner is on and it is is hooked up to a charging port, is it charging or does it only charge when it is off and you have to tell it to charge? Just a question I had, Thanks.

XTS3000

The one cool feature with USB charging of the 436HP is you can use one of those Li Ion backup charger packs. I've got a 10,000mah pack and it charges the 436 just fine. Also you can power the scanner with it too. I do get a bit of interference when I'm using the charger pack to run the scanner in VHF, but I expected that.

kb8rvp

BCD436HP Charging Question

Ok, When my scanner is on and it is is hooked up to a charging port, is it charging or does it only charge when it is off and you have to tell it to charge? Just a question I had, Thanks.

The scanner does not charge when it is turned on and scanning . It does charge when powered off and you plug in a power source and you press yes when asked to "start charging" . I think it will charge for 14 hours unless you go into the setting and change the charging time.

Mike

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Now another question... when my scanner is plugged in and I am scanning, is it using power from the wall socket or is it using battery power? Only reason I am asking is because my 396T would charge and scan at the same time. Is there any way that Uniden would be able to change this in a firmware update? I would like to just plug it in and let it charge.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The circuit was designed for USB 2.0 spec (only 0.5A available). Hardware can't support charging+operation at the same time.

The one cool feature with USB charging of the 436HP is you can use one of those Li Ion backup charger packs. I've got a 10,000mah pack and it charges the 436 just fine. Also you can power the scanner with it too. I do get a bit of interference when I'm using the charger pack to run the scanner in VHF, but I expected that.

thanks.. is amazon the best place to get one?

I use my scanner for work while in the car, So when I have my scanner plugged into my usb port of the car, will the scanner only be powered from the USB cord and the batteries are not being used at all? what would be my best option when using this all day in the car (10 hours) I noticed the battery life on this isnt that great. I keep mine on 240 secs recording and squelch light, I need both because I work at night..

whats is the average battery life on the stock batteries?

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
I use my scanner for work while in the car, So when I have my scanner plugged into my usb port of the car, will the scanner only be powered from the USB cord and the batteries are not being used at all? what would be my best option when using this all day in the car (10 hours) I noticed the battery life on this isnt that great. I keep mine on 240 secs recording and squelch light, I need both because I work at night..

That is exactly my question as well... is the scanner powered my the USB cord or the batteries when it is ploughed in and turned on?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber

I get 8 to 10 hours. That is no recording, scanning 1 digital P25 system, and 2 conventional systems. Led light flashes for about 10 channels only.

When you have the scanner plugged in and scanning, it is powered by the USB. Use a DC adapter and plug the scanner in while in the car. You won't use any battery power until you disconnect the USB cable.

dmonty83

So I leave my 436HP in my car. Is there anyway it can turn on with the car and automatically start scanning? As is is the scanner won't scsn until I press E.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. It's just the way the scanner is when it gets USB power.

BigEvil

So how about charging the internal battery that controls the clock. I use regular non rechargeable batteries so I'm not concerned with charging batteries, but I do want my internal clock to not reset. What is the proper procedure to keep that part of the scanner charged ?

XTS3000

So how about charging the internal battery that controls the clock. I use regular non rechargeable batteries so I'm not concerned with charging batteries, but I do want my internal clock to not reset. What is the proper procedure to keep that part of the scanner charged ?

Power on your scanner for a few hours once every week or so. That should retain and recharge the clock battery.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
DC adaptor for BCD436HP

Just to clarify so I don't burn out my unit ...

I have a USB adaptor I can plug into my 12v cigarette lighter ... Model: CU4906 PO Z11870

Ident Info = Input 12-24VDC Output=5.0V- - - 1000mA

Will this work for my BCD436HP for prolonged period of time without burning it out?
Should I remove the batteries or is it OK to leave them in?

Thanks

That is exactly my question as well... is the scanner powered my the USB cord or the batteries when it is ploughed in and turned on?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Any USB source will work, including the one you describe. If you take out the batteries, you lose all recording capabilities...and there is really no reason to take them out. If you don't want them to charge at all, just say no when prompted. If you want to minimize charge during each cycle, set a short charge duration (like 1 hour).

Analogrules

Will New Scanner Arrive With Batteries Already Fully Charged?

I just ordered mine supposedly brand new from Amazon over the weekend. Of course, it hasn't shipped yet, but I'm anxious to get it. I know 3 rechargeable batteries come with the scanner. My question is, are they already charged fully when buying the scanner brand new or will I need to charge it first? How long does it need to fully charge after the battery goes dead? (I read that you can actually set the scanner to charge fast or slow.....which is the best setting?) Finally, if I were to buy back-up rechargeable batteries for the unit (such as energizer brand), would they charge fine from a wall outlet while remaining in the unit. Note, I also purchased a Home Wall charger kit for the scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The batteries will not be fully charged upon arrival (even if they were fully charged at the factory, they self-discharge during storage).

You will need to charge the batteries, but you can operate the scanner from USB power by selecting Serial mode when prompted.

Using the scanner, it takes about 12-14 hours to fully charge fully discharged batteries.

The scanner has only one charge rate. It does not have fast or slow. You might be confusing this with the discussion of external chargers, which typically do offer such an option.

You can use an external charger to keep standby batteries ready to swap out. Not sure what you got as a "Home Wall Charger Kit" so can't really comment on that.

Analogrules

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, the scanner will arrive with at least some charge left in the batteries so I can start playing with it right away. The charging kit I purchased is the only one I saw available on Amazon. It is called "Home Wall Charger/Adapter for BCD436". Amazon.com: HOME WALL Charger/Adapter for Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP, BCD-436HP Handheld Scanner: Electronics

I assume it can charge any brand of rechargeable batteries while they are inside the scanner. I purchased it for $12 from Amazon. Ebay sells them for about 3 times the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.