StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
Hearing automated dispatch tests over ID 169 (new ID), along with ID 3999.

ID 169 aligns with old system ID 2704, which is CFD Voice Alerts.

smason

This system is getting to be like Calgary weather wait half and hour and it changes.

If I had $5.00 for every time I've done an "upload to scanner" from Proscan/Win500 lately...
And I only have 4 computer programmable scanners. Well 5, but the 15x doesn't do P25.

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
Had an hour wait in the parking lot at the airport. Brought my laptop and Unitrunker.
I'm pretty sure Site 16 is the airport. Have submitted the channel list.

Have not heard site 19 in a while.
If 16 is the Airport, it's very odd that I don't have any reception to that tower. I'm on the east side of Nose Hill with pretty much line of site to YYC.

smason

Have not heard site 19 in a while.

I put my 7 element Yagi on a camera tripod and plugged it into my SDR, finally found site 19 again on 852.1375
I have no guess as to the location. Its only peers are 11 13 and 15. A lot of the freqs correspond to the old site 9, but I seriously doubt I'm hearing Coventry Hills from McKenzie Lake on an indoor antenna :) Freqs submitted to the DB. Its only peers are 11 13 and 15.

smason

A lot of the freqs correspond to the old site 9, but I seriously doubt I'm hearing Coventry Hills from McKenzie Lake on an indoor antenna :)

After a very un-scientific game of "spin the Yagi" it definitely peaks in that general direction. This antenna is quite a performer (supposed to be 11DBi) so I guess it's possible.

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
ID 4014, hearing some YYC fire comms. Heard references on A6 YYC Ops to "Tac 1 and Tac 2". So I would assume 4014 is YYC Tac 1 or 2

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
ID 3997 - YYC Airport ATC giving details of an inbound emergency landing. Not sure if they were "paging" out YYC fire or communicating with Calgary dispatch. Sounded like a "page" out for YYC fire though. Also hearing comms on 3907, sounded like CFD talking to airport security.

Last edited:

smason

Are "we" ever going to determine the location of the sites on this system? I think it would be helpful for listeners, particularly new listeners.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm pretty sure 11 is Bankers, 16 is airport, 18 is South Health. etc. But I'm not quite confident enough to say for absolute sure.

smason

OK let me post what my findings are, and maybe we can reach a consensus on site locations.

First, based on old system vs. new system, I think the following are fairly obvious.

Old System New System
Site 1 Bankers Site 11 Same channel frequencies
Site 2 Broadcast Hill Site 12 Same channel freqs
Site 3 Spy Hill Site 13 Same channel freqs
Site 4 Fish Creek Site 14 Same channel freqs
Site 5 Forest Lawn Site 15 Same channel freqs
Site 6 Airport Site 16 Same channel freqs
Site 7 South Health Site 18 SOME of the same freqs.
Site 8 Anderson Site 18 SOME of the same freqs.
Site 9 (undefined) Coventry? Site 19 Same channel freqs.

Now based on my reception from home, and some limited unscientific direction finding:

Site 11, very likely Banker's strong signal in my office on a crap antenna. 90% sure
Site 12 very likely Broacast Hill based on pointing my 7 element Yagi at it from deep SE. 80% sure
Site 13 no additional observations.
Site 14 very likely works well in deep SE, and from pointing yagi at it
Site 15 fairly likely Forest Lawn based on pointing yagi at it from home. only 40% sure
Site 16 Very likely airport, based on portable scanner in the parking lot with no antenna and attenuator on. 90% sure
Site 18 Confusing, but very likely South Health. Very strong in parking lot 1 block away with no antenna and attenuator. Had heard a rumour of Anderson and SH merging when transit moved to the system. Also today, parked on Sun Vally Blvd. above Sikome, very strong. And parked on Sacremento Drive very near the Anderson site, barely receivable with antenna on and attenuator on.
Site 19 probably Coventry, no additional observations.

Would love some discussion on this.

StampedeCityStringer

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
I'm located up north along the east side of Nose Hill Park, right by 64th/14th intersection. I usually get full bars reception on sites 11, 15 & 19 and mid-bars for sites 16 & 18. No reception, or very low reception, for the rest of the sites from my location. This would align with your descriptions of tower locations.

beeperboy

OK let me post what my findings are, and maybe we can reach a consensus on site locations.

First, based on old system vs. new system, I think the following are fairly obvious.

Old System New System
Site 1 Bankers Site 11 Same channel frequencies
Site 2 Broadcast Hill Site 12 Same channel freqs
Site 3 Spy Hill Site 13 Same channel freqs
Site 4 Fish Creek Site 14 Same channel freqs
Site 5 Forest Lawn Site 15 Same channel freqs
Site 6 Airport Site 16 Same channel freqs
Site 7 South Health Site 18 SOME of the same freqs.
Site 8 Anderson Site 18 SOME of the same freqs.
Site 9 (undefined) Coventry? Site 19 Same channel freqs.

Now based on my reception from home, and some limited unscientific direction finding:

Site 11, very likely Banker's strong signal in my office on a crap antenna. 90% sure
Site 12 very likely Broacast Hill based on pointing my 7 element Yagi at it from deep SE. 80% sure
Site 13 no additional observations.
Site 14 very likely works well in deep SE, and from pointing yagi at it
Site 15 fairly likely Forest Lawn based on pointing yagi at it from home. only 40% sure
Site 16 Very likely airport, based on portable scanner in the parking lot with no antenna and attenuator on. 90% sure
Site 18 Confusing, but very likely South Health. Very strong in parking lot 1 block away with no antenna and attenuator. Had heard a rumour of Anderson and SH merging when transit moved to the system. Also today, parked on Sun Vally Blvd. above Sikome, very strong. And parked on Sacremento Drive very near the Anderson site, barely receivable with antenna on and attenuator on.
Site 19 probably Coventry, no additional observations.

Would love some discussion on this.

You observations are correct.

Site 11 - Banker's Hall
Site 12 - Transalta (Broadcast Hill)
Site 13 - Spyhill
Site 14 - Fish Creek (which isn't in Fish Creek any longer) It's west of Bridlewood
Site 15 - Forest Lawn
Site 16 - Airport
Site 18 - South Health Campus
Site 19 - Coventry

smason

Thanks for the confirmation. The old database entry for the Motorola system showed Site 14 (called Fish Creek) as Due West of the Bridlewood Sobey's 162 ave around 37th street.

smason

So do we name Site 14 Bridlewood? Or keep calling it Fish Creek?
I don't know if there are "official" names that the system insiders know, or if they are just name "we" use in the db.