County requires security clearance to operate ham radio Was: Dumb Question

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hello all, I have a dumb question, a guy who just moved onto my island, lol said he wanted to use his ham radios as he is licensed, but the county demands a security clearance to use it.

so the dumb question is why is the county, san juan demanding a security clearance?
For a split second I thought you were in another country. The county would have zero power to restrict his use of a ham license or radio, beyond the usual tower ordinances, that must accommodate ham radio per FCC.

Wait, your friend, is he named Alfonzo??

Golay

The last county I was a volunteer responder for required a background check, a credit check, and driving records for prior 7 years. It was basically the same as a job application. Even the RACES volunteers had to do it. I heard some guys said it was too much trouble. Anyone who works in a county EOC needs an ID card these days for the DHS.
I passed on joining our county's ARES/RACES for that reason. Went to about a dozen meetings, worked a few events, worked checkpoints during a couple marathons. Then they gave me an application. Wanted drivers license and social security number. I understand some may view it differently. Just didn't see why they needed all that for a entry level position in a volunteer organization. Now if later on I had some sort of authority, maybe.

To all those who are in ARES and RACES, have you done anything that you thought justified a background check? Not sure directing runners, or working in the SAG wagon warrants it. Which is all our county group does. Any actual emergency exercises, they don't find out until it's over, and see the story on TV.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
To all those who are in ARES and RACES, have you done anything that you thought justified a background check?
Yes. During Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis, I was assigned to a temporary amateur radio station inside the off-site public safety command post. Our role was to liaison between public safety and amateur radio should a catastrophic event happen at the Super Bowl. Our VHF/UHF antennas were set up on masts next to an unmarked black box truck staffed with FBI technicians who loaned us a length of coax when we discovered that ours had been damaged.

rescuecomm

It depends on what the agency that you're serving is doing. For the public service events, warm bodies are good. The county I used to volunteer for had a nuclear power station on the county line. There were major drills testing the ability of county and state agencies to act during various site area emergencies every three years. To enter any EOC, you had to have an picture ID. There were people from FEMA and the NRC monitoring the operation and would interject messages. Some were simulated telephone and county radio system failure. Then to send message to power station using other means. Can't do it - gig. FD works wreck downwind in the plume and doesn't do decontamination - gig. People in EOC without ID - gig.

Just the usual Fed stuff.

k6cpo

To all those who are in ARES and RACES, have you done anything that you thought justified a background check?.
The prime mission of the ARES group in San Diego, CA is to provide backup communications for the hospitals in the county system in the event of a major disaster or mass casualty event. To this end, we participate in twice yearly drills with the hospitals and the county. To be able to enter the hospital, a background check is required by the county and a county volunteer badge issued. Unfortunately, ours all expired during the pandemic and no steps have been take as yet to get the badges reissued.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Everyone is overthinking this. Some people don't know the difference between a background check and a security clearance. I think the person mentioned in the original post was confused.

Yes, that has been rather humorous for those knowing the difference. When I became a volunteer with a department, it was very funny that one of the county people doing the background check claimed it was more thorough than the DOD clearance. My former DOD clearance required re-investigation every 5 years which involved a national agency check, talked to my friends, neighbors, co-workers and others whose names came up when doing that. They also looked at my finances. And that is only what I know about. Even, after someone they talked to mentioned it, I was asked about my radio hobby and why I took photos of antennas which required me to write a double-space response to that and similar questions. As far as the county background check, I filled out some paperwork and never heard further about it.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

Years ago, one of the volunteer units in the county had a guy who moved in the area from the west coast. Very likeable fellow who ran a lot of calls and attended every training meeting. Unfortunately, one of the detectives thought he looked familiar. The unit's best volunteer ended up leaving town in the company of two FBI agents. After that, background checks were mandatory. Sounds like a movie script, but who wants a would-be Ted Bundy driving your wife to work at the hospital in a snowstorm?

k6cpo

Yes, that has been rather humorous for those knowing the difference. When I became a volunteer with a department, it was very funny that one of the county people doing the background check claimed it was more thorough than the DOD clearance. My former DOD clearance required re-investigation every 5 years which involved a national agency check, talked to my friends, neighbors, co-workers and others whose names came up when doing that. They also looked at my finances. And that is only what I know about. Even, after someone they talked to mentioned it, I was asked about my radio hobby and why I took photos of antennas which required me to write a double-space response to that and similar questions. As far as the county background check, I filled out some paperwork and never heard further about it.
In the Navy, I worked in Operations before becoming a diver and I was privy to secure communications. I had to jump through all the normal hoops to get my security clearance and it stayed with me until the day I retired. Now I'm not even cleared for rumor. Apparently, civilian background checks for volunteer work only go back seven years or so because I've never been asked about my military clearance.

talviar

As some one that works for a County Emergency Management office....Just to provide some factual info-

Rest assured- this is the process we follow:
Each person must meet these requirements as shown on the PA State EMA Office web site
  • ACS Volunteers must have a willingness to serve and be at least 18 years of age.
  • ACS Volunteers are expected to complete the team’s required training program.
  • During the first year of service, ACS Volunteers must have completed FEMA’s online Incident Command System courses ICS 100, ICS 200, IS 700, and IS 800.
  • During the first year of service, ACS Volunteers must obtain an Amateur Radio Operators license.
Additionally as required under our offices requirements-
Must Submit to PA State Police Criminal Background Check. This is the same for all fire personnel and EMS personnel in the State of PA. Basically a 1 page form supplying Legal Name, and DOB. In some cases a SS # may be required if there are more than one person with the same name and DOB. The PA State Police return back a confirmation that there is no criminal record in PA or if there is will list the specifics. Felony Convictions are the disqualifying items in most cases.

Must also submit to the PA Child Abuse History Certification. This is the same for all fire personnel and EMS Personnel in the State of PA.

In many cases folks refer to training certifications, and these above items as "Clearances" to hold the position.
As the volunteer must be cleared by our office to be a registered volunteer operating under our office.

Additionally if they are an Amateur Radio Operator providing commuications support under the realm of RACES or AUXCOM (which can in some cases include ARES) then these are the requirements in PA.

This is required for insurance coverage for when the person is operating as one of our volunteers in sanctioned responses and training.

The PA State Police check and the Child Abuse history certification are both requirements for many jobs anymore in PA. If there is a chance you will be alone with a "child" where their parent or guardian are not present, you must have these in place. As defined under PA State Law, a child is an individual under the 18 years of age.

Many do not realize that this also includes and applies to amateur radio clubs, and many other organization. Many organizations parent org require the Criminal Background check, and Child abuse history certification regardless of whether the parent or guardian is present for anyone working with children.

My philosophy as a volunteer in some of these groups has been, if another member doesn't want to submit to these and provide them, what are they trying to hide?