• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CP200d random beeping issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have a CP200d VHF that I had purchased used online a few months ago and it worked great up until a few weeks ago. When I was monitoring my local sheriff's office on the radio I noticed occasional low pitch beeps would be present throughout receiving a transmission. I filmed the phenomenon and uploaded it online (embedded below).
That was a week ago, and the unit has been off since then. I turned it on today and the Rx beeping is much worse.

Does anybody have a clue to what could be going on?
Thank you

K2NEC

Seems like you have a side button that is being pushed on and whatever button it is, doesn't have a function. Has that radio been re-cased at all?

K2NEC

Check the seal and buttons. Also make sure it's the right housing. Motorola has a "newer" CP200d housing and an "older" CP200d housing. The housings are NOT interchangable.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Check the seal and buttons. Also make sure it's the right housing. Motorola has a "newer" CP200d housing and an "older" CP200d housing. The housings are NOT interchangeable.
I took it apart and it seems like everything is where it should be, but when the radio is Rx-ing outside of its enclosure the problem is not present. I placed it back inside and tested Rx again and it does beep, but less frequently, and only on Rx, not idle, which confuses me. The CP200d only has 2 buttons so I am thinking maybe I should try to cut a small section off the rubber bumpers for those buttons but I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?

K2NEC

There are 2 versions of the CP200d housing. One that has round buttons and one that has oval buttons. Sounds like you have one and are using the housing for the other. Can you take a pic of the original housing you had and the one you put on? Specifically the PTT button side of the radio.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
There are 2 versions of the CP200d housing. One that has round buttons and one that has oval buttons. Sounds like you have one and are using the housing for the other. Can you take a pic of the original housing you had and the one you put on? Specifically the PTT button side of the radio.
I disposed of the old housing, unfortunately. I can send you pictures of the new housing and the body of the transceiver w/ model no. and tags if needed.

K2NEC

Ok, can you look at the buttons on the housing and put them side by side with the buttons on the housing? It will be obvious if they line up or not. I'll attach a picture of the different housings. The button sizes are slightly off and I'm thinking that you might have the wrong housing. I couldn't tell anything from the model number but I can't say for certain that it's the wrong one.
get_hangouts_attachment_url

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Ok, can you look at the buttons on the housing and put them side by side with the buttons on the housing? It will be obvious if they line up or not. I'll attach a picture of the different housings. The button sizes are slightly off and I'm thinking that you might have the wrong housing. I couldn't tell anything from the model number but I can't say for certain that it's the wrong one.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I can't get your image to load on my computer, but I do have a picture I took of the transceiver lined up with the case side-by-side and the buttons look to line up, but I will send it through anyway so you can take a look.

K2NEC

Ok I just compared your picture to my CP200d. It looks like that is the right housing for that radio, but I'm still wondering if there is something pressing up against those side buttons that's causing the radio to bonk at you like that. Is that an OEM housing or an aftermarket?

Attached is my CP200d with the newer housing. As you can see, the side buttons are closer together20210823_223023_1024x768.jpg

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
The casing is not OEM. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to shave off a bit of the rubber bumpers, or just cut my losses and get a Moto housing?

K2NEC

Where did you buy it from? Ebay? And depends how much you are going to use the side buttons. You could try it out. Worse case scenario is you need to spend another $20 on a housing.

K2NEC

Ah, ok, that kind of explains it. It could be a tight fit putting pressure on the buttons. Try trimming the rubber. If that doesn't help, try this housing:

It's not OEM but I've had good luck with the housing before and I know it works.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Ah, ok, that kind of explains it. It could be a tight fit putting pressure on the buttons. Try trimming the rubber. If that doesn't help, try this housing:

It's not OEM but I've had good luck with the housing before and I know it works.

Thank you for the help. I will order soon and see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.