CTA Derailment in Southside of Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrick

FOX News just broke in with news that a CTA train has derailed. Since I don't live in Illinois obviously I can't listen via scanner, is there any online sources to listen to?

Rick

BTW I hear that the Southside of Chicago is the baddest part of town and if you go down there you better just beware of a man named a LeRoy Brown.
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist putting a Jim Croce reference in).

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it happened

The Office of Emergency Management and Communications transmitted a Still and Box Alarm and an EMS Plan 1 at 1013 Hrs. As with these incidents, numerous CFD and CPD ancillary apapratus responded. Total of 12 Ambulances responded, but not all transported. I heard one total of 31 patients transported, none life threatening. The incident was struck out and secured by 1056 Hrs,, which in itself, is impressive. Companies did remain on the scene for approximately an hour afterwards. Initial reports is possible "operator error". CTA Rail Control was a buzz of activity as expected. Some great listening, and sorry you didn't have a chance to hear some professional deprtments in action.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I caught part of the EMS command operations on 462.975 (EMS Command) as I was running an errand in my POV while at work. They were lining up ambulances and setting up triage locations, must have been pretty early on since I then turned on WGN and they were just breaking with the story, WBBM hadn't yet (They would a minute or two later, they must have heard it on WGN...)

One thing CFD does very good is keep radio traffic from individual units down to a minimum. They are masters of Incident Command, something the police can learn from. I have been pushing the police agencies I work with to adopt and embrace Incident Command with only modest success.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
N9JIG said:
I caught part of the EMS command operations on 462.975 (EMS Command) as I was running an errand in my POV while at work. They were lining up ambulances and setting up triage locations, must have been pretty early on since I then turned on WGN and they were just breaking with the story, WBBM hadn't yet (They would a minute or two later, they must have heard it on WGN...)

One thing CFD does very good is keep radio traffic from individual units down to a minimum. They are masters of Incident Command, something the police can learn from. I have been pushing the police agencies I work with to adopt and embrace Incident Command with only modest success.

Incident Command has been drilled in our heads since the disaster downtown some years back. On EMS plans, we are told just what you hear, to keep radio traffic down to absoloute minimum. For the most part, police do have a command structure, but it does get chaotic as new commanders and deputies arrive on the scene to "take control". The professionalism I was referring to was CPD/CFD wannabescanist.

Status
Not open for further replies.