Decoding software for sdr-rtl dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeKP

Hello all,
I am looking for software that will decode rtty and cw with a sdr-rtl (it can receive HF) dongle using the sound card and at this point have gotten no where. I use SDR# as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Keith.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is very little baudot RTTY anymore (apart from a few hams that still use it), but CW is still very prevalent. However not everyone uses the International alphabet.

However there are quite a number of things you can decode (apart from hams). Take a look at this article;

As for software, there's quite a list - many can be used by the RTL but you will need a virtual audio cable to make the audio connection between SDR# and whatever software you choose...

and for Virtual Audio cables, see that section here...

Now where to find recent logs? Easy - check the Utility DXers Forum (UDXF) reflector on groups.io...joining up is easy...

and finally...

The BIG List of RTL-SDR Supported Software

That oughta keep you busy for awhile....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
MultiPSK can directly interface with the RTL, but you need a couple of things to make this happen. The MultiPSK groups.io reflector is a good place to find out about this...

It covers a TON of modes. If you can get around the interface - which is very crowded - it's probably one of the most powerful hobby level software apps there is for decoding. Sorcerer is another one that some folks use.

However there are a lot of modes out there that software supports that are simply not used anymore. That's why you need something like the UDXF to focus on what has been heard and can be copied

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You use a sound card with an external radio like a desktop or a portable radio. SDRs use a virtual audio cable as mentioned above...Mike

Last edited:

DeKP

Thanks for the info, I've be from the audio out of SWL for years now. I've messed with VAC in the past using DSD. I guess I'll need to brush up on it. Back in the day I had a Sony ICF and some sort of box that could decode from the audio out. It worked great and I used it for years, then one day it just stopped decoding. So I'll give this a try. Thanks again!

GB46

Back in the day I had a Sony ICF and some sort of box that could decode from the audio out. It worked great and I used it for years, then one day it just stopped decoding.
I wonder if it looked like this device, which I found on Universal Radio's discontinued list:
MBA Reader.jpg

I bought one of these in the late 80s at a ham supply store in Ballard, Seattle. It worked fine, but even then I could find relatively few baudot RTTY stations, except for frequent English broadcasts from North Korea's news agency (KCNA). It was just above the 20m. ham band.

Decoding CW was a bit dicey depending on the sender's keying skills, but there was no trouble with messages from coastal stations. One example was VAI in Vancouver (it was decommissioned years ago). I always liked the code for VAI, because its rhythm was so musical that it could easily inspire a song: di-di-di dah di-dah di-dit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.