Deputy Seeking Advice on P25 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Does it have to be a 996XT ? I have a friend in the transport police and he has a Home Patrol mounted next to his console on a Pan-A-Vise mount. He has never had a problem. It is mounted in a 2011 Crown Vic PI. Although he rarely gets off road he does see some rough roads. Just a thought.

It does not have to be a Uniden BCD-996XT. That's why I was looking into the other brands at the top of this forum.

Thanks for the reply!

62Scout

I'm trying to figure out what you mean here. Are you saying it should be velcro to the dash or something where the sun could cook it or leave it loose to fly around on the floor board? I'm confused.

Thanks for the reply!

Something like this perhaps - Shock/Vibration Isolator Plate

I've used those in some of our primarily off road vehicles in the fleet for various pieces of equipment.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I've never understood why, but evidently no scanner manufacturer (not that there's many out there to begin with) even pretends to design their scanners based upon ANY comparative aspect of commercial radios. AFAIK, not one scanner manufacturer ever produced any marketing documents, specification sheets, product guides etc. remotely suggesting their radio was similar in durability, audio quality, simulcast performance, battery performance, tactile feel, sensitivity, co-channel rejection etc. as compared to a Motorola, Harris, Kenwood etc.

Instead, scanner manufacturers "compare" their newest products to (1) prior models made by themselves, or (2) similar products made by other scanner manufacturers - some might call it a "race to the bottom". RR forums are filled with book-length threads about this issue, but suffice it to say, it's not likely to change anytime soon:(

Status
Not open for further replies.