Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2vvj

Premium Subscriber
A few questions that I know have been answered at least 100 times. I just need some definite answers and direction....

The research has been done and this is what I gathered about Disney World Florida's radio system

They still have some 2meter and 70cm analog and digi freqs that they use for random stuff.

Some of the other systems have become Nextel....

Is there any information out there specific to paramedic and security that people have that I have yet to find? Like something I can hear thats not 800mhz (2m or 440) thats still used?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Why do you doubt what has been posted to date? The database is usable and allows you to listen to whatever is going on, except for the iDEN/NEXTEL transmissions.

Also commercial organizations do not use 2 meters or 440. The majority use Part 90 150 and 450/460 MHz spectrum in addition to 800 and 900 MHz spectrum.

kc2vvj

Premium Subscriber
It's not a matter of what I trust but a matter of checking and cross checking research results. Also, excuse te incorrect usage of the bands, I was making a relativity to the specific freqs as related to ham use.

RF-Burns

Walt Disney World uses Nextel for all security comms. No comms what so ever are on UHF or VHF. As for Fire and EMS they utilize an 800Mhz Digital Encryption system. They use to have a UHF Freq that you would be able to hear the dispatch on but they no longer have that active. Hope this answers some of your questions.

A few questions that I know have been answered at least 100 times. I just need some definite answers and direction....

The research has been done and this is what I gathered about Disney World Florida's radio system

They still have some 2meter and 70cm analog and digi freqs that they use for random stuff.

Some of the other systems have become Nextel....

Is there any information out there specific to paramedic and security that people have that I have yet to find? Like something I can hear thats not 800mhz (2m or 440) thats still used?

KF4ZMB

Premium Subscriber
Walt Disney World uses Nextel for all security comms. No comms what so ever are on UHF or VHF. As for Fire and EMS they utilize an 800Mhz Digital Encryption system. They use to have a UHF Freq that you would be able to hear the dispatch on but they no longer have that active. Hope this answers some of your questions.

The only exception to the above is that due to issues with the Nextels working around the parade noise, parade float drivers still occasionally use the old UHF parade frequencies at Magic Kingdom. Other entities on Disney property use UHF radios (i.e. Rain Forest Cafe), but even at the Swan and Dolphin Resorts (which are not Disney owned/operated) the security has migrated to Nextels.

The only way to hear Reedy Creek Emergency Services "in the clear" is on the Orange County system if they are communicating with a hospital or if an Orange County Talkgroup is patched in with a Reedy Creek one.

That said there are still plenty of opportunities to monitor security and fire in the area if you are interested in such. All of the malls have security who use radios in the clear (Mall at Millenia is a very active frequency), Orange County Fire (at least at present) is still on an analog trunked system, Rural Metro still operates their conventional UHF system, and both Universal Studios and SeaWorld operate analog 900 MHz trunked systems with both security and health services transmitting "in the clear" among others.

I recently moved from Orlando and have experience using both Disney's Nextels and Reedy Creek's APCO-25 system. The Nextels don't always work the best in the parks, but be that as it may Disney has no plans (that I am aware of) to change back to their older 800 MHz system. Reedy Creek's radios come in very clear most of the time so there would be no reason for them to even consider changing.

Hope this helps,
Christian KF4ZMB

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound

KF4ZMB

Premium Subscriber
The only other interesting thing I was able to hear the last time I was there is the Orange County Sheriffs. The ones assigned to the Disney area still respond to incidents inside and around Disney.
System is here:
Orange County Public Services (FL) Trunking System, Orlando, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Orange County Sheriff Sector 5 & 6 Talkgroups are the ones to monitor.

Bob

Thanks. I knew I was forgetting something (truthfully I was trying to type that before leaving for lunch so my stomache might have had a little to do with my memory loss LOL).

Sector 6 is specifically Disney and Sector 5 is most of the International Drive and the other tourist areas in the county. As you mentioned this is really the best way to find out if Disney Security has anything big going on since they only call the Sheriff's Office for calls that they feel absolutely warrant law enforcement response.

Thanks again,
Christian KF4ZMB

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
with nextel going bye bye in 2013 has anyone heard what communication system Disney will be using?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The only other interesting thing I was able to hear the last time I was there is the Orange County Sheriffs. The ones assigned to the Disney area still respond to incidents inside and around Disney.
System is here:
Orange County Public Services (FL) Trunking System, Orlando, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Orange County Sheriff Sector 5 & 6 Talkgroups are the ones to monitor.

Bob

Update- now I understand that the Sheriffs are encrypted. Hope it wasn't my fault they encrypted by drawing attention to them on this forum. May as well leave the scanner home on my July trip to Disney, lol.
But I suppose I can always monitor the FRS freqs and get a few laughs here and there.
Bob

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Just to confirm, Reedy Creek Fire's APCO 25 system is actually encrypted and not just a P25 system?

kg9nn

Update- now I understand that the Sheriffs are encrypted. Hope it wasn't my fault they encrypted by drawing attention to them on this forum. May as well leave the scanner home on my July trip to Disney, lol.
But I suppose I can always monitor the FRS freqs and get a few laughs here and there.
Bob

The feds have asked TWDC, RCID, and OCSD to encrypt to guard against terrorist attack. The feds would also like TWDC to install full body scanners at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom, but with dogs, air sampling, and other low-key measures, that's (thankfully) just not going to happen. Although I did just a get a chuckle picturing the stick man figure at the TSA check point replaced with a Mickey with his feet spread and hands up.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Bummer. I was kind of hoping their move to the P25 system might have excluded encryption or maybe someone was mistaken (I know, wishful thinking). I'll probably still bring my scanner in August to listen to area counties fire departments and maybe a thing or two around the area. That and the airports/aviation as I'm flying. I didn't plan on having it inside the parks anyway. Oh well.

One other question. Does WDW use actual "Nextels" or are they on their own iden trunked system that is often called Nextel because of the trunking type?

kg9nn

One other question. Does WDW use actual "Nextels" or are they on their own iden trunked system that is often called Nextel because of the trunking type?

Good question. The senior leadership of Disney Parks has decided that anything which is NOT a core business ('entertainment') needs to be smart sourced. Since communications is not a core business, it's PRESENTLY smart sourced to Nextel. In the post IDEN era, I have no idea what's going to happen, other than TWDC prefers a smart sourced option, not an in-house option.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info. I did an FCC search and found a lot of UHF stuff. I'm assuming it is all pre-Nextel and they just kept the licenses. All but one of the licenses is still wide-band w/no modifications, so those will all be lost 1/1/13 anyway.

With the Smart Sourcing, unless WDW develops some standard for comms, anything could happen. And it doesn't sound like WDW is looking to develop something like that. I left Sprint a few years ago ending with a hybrid Sprint/Nextel. I understand Sprint has Direct Connect now off the Nextel system. But I don't know how it works. Verizon Wireless has something similar with some units.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
You all are not kidding about Nextel! I think every employee, vehicle and office has one. I can't imagine the number of talkgroups they must have on the system. A Monorail died in the Contemporary while I was in line waiting; so I got some monitoring time in while they fixed the unit. Seems they use some railroad terminology like "Dead Heading".

I noticed that several management staff have begun using smartphones as two-ways (and texting). From the back, they looked like Blackberries. All the other radios are probably the same as anyone here saw over the last decade. I also began wondering if they'll switch over to Sprint D/C phones.

Another thing I found; possibly along the "smart sourcing" concept is several of the restaurants are now using Motorola CLS1410's or similar portables. No frequencies yet, but hope to work on that.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They've been using Nextel Blackberries as long as I can remember. Supervisors seem to use them with an ear bud and they can be seen texting quite often.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
They've been using Nextel Blackberries as long as I can remember. Supervisors seem to use them with an ear bud and they can be seen texting quite often.

Same as well at Universal Studios, they use Motorola MTX9250 handheld radios with the ear bud and the shift leaders as they called them use a different kind of handheld radio I forgot what they used it's been forever since I worked at Universal Studios Islands Of Adventure.

Last edited:

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
i was at walt magic kingdom yesterday ( aug 6) and noticed every employee i saw (maintenance,parade route workers and some ride attendents) had small radios but i could not tell what type they were,some had 2 wires coming from them which obviously one would be a ear piece and the other would be a microphone.if they were still on a system that you could monitor with a scanner i do not know if they would allow you in the park with a scanner,the security checks your bags with a fine tooth comb and any fanny pack,unless you had it in your pocket out of sight-i would think they would not want you to listen to them for security reasons.it would be interesting if we could monitor them.

radiomanNJ1

Dear Mr. make up your own rules guy- Where and why would you post stuff like the Feds asked them to
do this stuff? Please do not make up what you think are rules. Disney simply sold off their stuff to Nextel and started using nextels for all parkwide communications. Body scanners? what a joke. Oh BTW if they were "requested" to do this what about the other entertainment parks both in the area and nationwide?

The mouse company only does what is profitable for them.

The feds have asked TWDC, RCID, and OCSD to encrypt to guard against terrorist attack. The feds would also like TWDC to install full body scanners at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom, but with dogs, air sampling, and other low-key measures, that's (thankfully) just not going to happen. Although I did just a get a chuckle picturing the stick man figure at the TSA check point replaced with a Mickey with his feet spread and hands up.

Status
Not open for further replies.