DSD+ decoding issues

woobs420

So after some trial and error I have DSD+ non fastlane up and running and I am having major issues figuring out how to set it properly. First my signal is not great but it works ok using the simple apco plugin with SDR#. Very rarely can I get DSD+ to decode anything and when it does it's riddled with errors and barely understandable. I have tried all the simple stuff like playing with the gain, adjusting the output slider on SDR# as well as the one in the plugin to no avail for the most part. I have not messed with any of the decoder options nor the advanced decoder options. Any ideas what to try next? I know it can work as it does with Simple APCO. Thanks! Oh and for additional info I am using windows 10 with both an rtl-sdr v3 and nooelec v5 both with about the same results.

a417

...and stop using SDR# to feed it, if you go with FL. You don't need to see the signals, you want to...and FMP does a vastly better job at being a source if you use FL.

(it even shows you the signals, just not with the purty colours).

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
Pay for DSD=FL well worth it, no plug in, it just works.
Agreed. I tried what the OP tried (free version) first and had the same results. Frustration and no joy.
Paid my $25 for fast lane and, yes, it worked right out of the box and had a ton more useful features. Helping me learn so much about my local P25 systems!
Upgrade and you won't regret it!

woobs420

...and stop using SDR# to feed it, if you go with FL. You don't need to see the signals, you want to...and FMP does a vastly better job at being a source if you use FL.

(it even shows you the signals, just not with the purty colours).
Well I do like seeing them to hunt them. Found quite a few stations just by watching the waterfall I didn't know were there. Not even sure what FMP is right now. More reading to do:)

woobs420

Agreed. I tried what the OP tried (free version) first and had the same results. Frustration and no joy.
Paid my $25 for fast lane and, yes, it worked right out of the box and had a ton more useful features. Helping me learn so much about my local P25 systems!
Upgrade and you won't regret it!
Yes mostly p25 is what I am after but being ocd just knowing there is a digital signal I can't decode just drives me more to do so. I will get on getting fastlane today.

woobs420

Pay for DSD=FL well worth it, no plug in, it just works.
I will today if possible. I did get some better decoding last night though. Found there was a band pass filter running on SDR# by default that cleared up many of the errors. Still not quite where I want to be though.

Ubbe

I don't know if FL have a autotune function but for DSDPlus you'll have to set the decoding parameters correctly to get a usable decoding quality. Record 10 sec of the signal, press the R key to start recording and press again to end and rename the file to something short and simple, and then run dsdtune and it will test different settings until it finds the best ones. dsdtune.exe

/Ubbe

woobs420

I don't know if FL have a autotune function but for DSDPlus you'll have to set the decoding parameters correctly to get a usable decoding quality. Record 10 sec of the signal, press the R key to start recording and press again to end and rename the file to something short and simple, and then run dsdtune and it will test different settings until it finds the best ones. dsdtune.exe

/Ubbe
Thanks I had not heard of dsdtune. I will give it a shot later today. The two biggest things I have done that made a difference so far have been outside of DSD+ though. Removing the band pass filter 300-3500 and bumping up SDR#'s latency setting to 100ms rather than the default 50. Not sure why that made a difference however I think it is tied to sound card sharing or such. I am running Windows 10 in VMware on a Hackintosh which brings a few more challenges. I do have all this setup on a windows partition though so I can boot to it directly and troubleshoot if needed. Only been using VMware a week or so now but I really like the unity feature:)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Well I do like seeing them to hunt them. Found quite a few stations just by watching the waterfall I didn't know were there.
Fmp24 is a tuner the feeds DSDPlus. You can see a spectrum and either click signals of interest, or use your left and right arrows on your keyboard to move in what ever step size you have set.
I don't know if FL have a autotune function but for DSDPlus you'll have to set the decoding parameters correctly to get a usable decoding quality.
Not sure if its the same but Fmp24 has,
-a<num> Enable/disable auto center tuning (0-1) [-a1]

Removing the band pass filter 300-3500 and bumping up SDR#'s latency setting to 100ms rather than the default 50.
To many moving parts.
Fmpx (see below) tuners are made to work directly with DSDPLus where in Sdr#, you need to change and fiddle with a bunch of crap to get it to work.

FMPx X is a wildcard.

FMP24 program is used with RTL2832U based dongles
FMPA is used with Airspy devices.
FMPP program is used with SDRPlay

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks I had not heard of dsdtune. I will give it a shot later today. The two biggest things I have done that made a difference so far have been outside of DSD+ though. Removing the band pass filter 300-3500 and bumping up SDR#'s latency setting to 100ms rather than the default 50. Not sure why that made a difference however I think it is tied to sound card sharing or such. I am running Windows 10 in VMware on a Hackintosh which brings a few more challenges. I do have all this setup on a windows partition though so I can boot to it directly and troubleshoot if needed. Only been using VMware a week or so now but I really like the unity feature:)

make sure in the SDRSharp Audio section that "Filter Audio" is unchecked

woobs420

Fmp24 is a tuner the feeds DSDPlus. You can see a spectrum and either click signals of interest, or use your left and right arrows on your keyboard to move in what wver step size you have set.

Not sure if its the same but Fmp24 has,
-a<num> Enable/disable auto center tuning (0-1) [-a1]

To many moving parts.
Fmpx (see below) tuners are made to work directly with DSDPLus where in Sdr#, you need to change and fiddle with a bunch of crap to get it to work.

FMPx X is a wildcard.

FMP24 program is used with RTL2832U based dongles
FMPA is used with Airspy devices.
FMPP program is used with SDRPlay
Ok starting to get it now. I am also planning to get a new dongle or better. So many choices though but I do know the HackRF is out of my price range. Was thinking around 200 or so max. Still saving for a TRX-1 or something along those lines. Was actually gonna put a post in SDR section about recommendations after looking at the 20 some open tabs from the forums here.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok starting to get it now. I am also planning to get a new dongle or better. So many choices though but I do know the HackRF is out of my price range. Was thinking around 200 or so max. Still saving for a TRX-1 or something along those lines. Was actually gonna put a post in SDR section about recommendations after looking at the 20 some open tabs from the forums here.

HackRF won't work directly with DSDPlus - You'll need to use SDR software and pipe the audio in via VB cable. It'll work with OP25 though. I don't think a HackRF works with SDRTrunk either, but it may.

Either get something like a V3 dongle (or newer/) from rtl-sdr.com, or one of the Flightaware sticks (but only a certain one, and I can't remember which). Or an Airspy / Airspy mini or SDRPlay. At least all of those are supported on more software directly.

TRX-1 is only worth if it you don't want to monitor simulcast trunked systems. They are lousy on simulcast. And they don't actually do true trunk-tracking. If you are going to save for a scanner, you should save longer until you can buy an SDS-100/SDS-200. Just my personal opinion.

m

Ubbe

I am also planning to get a new dongle or better.
Your RTL-SDR are excellent for decoding purposes. My latency are set to 100mS as default. For audio samplerate it is set to 48000. Check the bandwidth setting in Radio. Look at the spectrum display and the light grey area around the signal, it should just cover the whole signal width.

In the cogwheel setting I use 1.024MSPS to keep the CPU load down and don't tick any of the boxes for AGC. Move the Gain slider to get the biggest signal in the spectrum without any interference spikes begin to pop up. I have 35dB as a good level for me but probably depends of how good antenna you have. Also check that the frequency are calibrated by looking at the spectrum and that grey area around the signal, it should be symetrical around the signal and if not then adjust that ppm value until it is. I have three V3 dongles and all have to be set to -2ppm.

/Ubbe

woobs420

HackRF won't work directly with DSDPlus - You'll need to use SDR software and pipe the audio in via VB cable. It'll work with OP25 though. I don't think a HackRF works with SDRTrunk either, but it may.

Either get something like a V3 dongle (or newer/) from rtl-sdr.com, or one of the Flightaware sticks (but only a certain one, and I can't remember which). Or an Airspy / Airspy mini or SDRPlay. At least all of those are supported on more software directly.

TRX-1 is only worth if it you don't want to monitor simulcast trunked systems. They are lousy on simulcast. And they don't actually do true trunk-tracking. If you are going to save for a scanner, you should save longer until you can buy an SDS-100/SDS-200. Just my personal opinion.

m
I have the rtl-sdrv3 and the newer nooelec v5 dongle. Quite frankly they seem about the same although the nooelec does not have bias-t power for my LNA also nooelec. HackRf is out anyways for high cost kinda leaning towards the Airspy R2 and while i like the RSP1A it seems to have issues with SDR# I know there is SDRuno avail it just seems the R2 is more compatible and simple apco is so easy to use. Willing to consider anything based on experience though. Not much for trunked systems out here it's almost all single channel from what I see so far. North East Vermont there is nothing up here really. Had also considered the ws1040 which can be had for 200 refurbed. The SDS's are nice but TBH I just can't do it at that price. Hundreds more for the upgrades no thanks for what you have to pay for the thing it should be included. Maybe used with em already installed. Again though I am open to whatever recommendations anyone here has.

woobs420

Your RTL-SDR are excellent for decoding purposes. My latency are set to 100mS as default. For audio samplerate it is set to 48000. Check the bandwidth setting in Radio. Look at the spectrum display and the light grey area around the signal, it should just cover the whole signal width.

In the cogwheel setting I use 1.024MSPS to keep the CPU load down and don't tick any of the boxes for AGC. Move the Gain slider to get the biggest signal in the spectrum without any interference spikes begin to pop up. I have 35dB as a good level for me but probably depends of how good antenna you have. Also check that the frequency are calibrated by looking at the spectrum and that grey area around the signal, it should be symetrical around the signal and if not then adjust that ppm value until it is. I have three V3 dongles and all have to be set to -2ppm.

/Ubbe
Yup got all that stuff covered -1 to -2 ppm seems right for me as well. Been playing with SDR for a few years now although this is a first for getting into digital modes. Our SPD just went p25 which was the motivator. Now i am just having fun playing with all this stuff. It's addictive and I am starting to understand the point of the "ham shack" being far from the wife:)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i like the RSP1A it seems to have issues with SDR#
And the latest API on the RSP1 seems to be causing issued in DSDPlus

woobs420

And the latest API on the RSP1 seems to be causing issued in DSDPlus
Looks like the newer one they sell the 1A version is working ok at least.

Ubbe

have bias-t power for my LNA
Then you'll have to be very careful to not overdrive the SDR as it will cause distortion to the signal and makes it harder to decode.
When you click on the signal on the spectrum you will get the signal to noise ratio SNR, so adjust to highest possible value while reducing and increasing the gain.