Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_strong

Help does anyone know what 460.5250 is used for in Monroe County. I found it today very active P-25 encrypted. I checked my copy of Police Call 2002 edition and it is listed for Monroe County police ? Thanks

d_strong

Follow up on 460.525

I heard a radio tech talking in the clear today on 460.525. I could only hear one side of conversation in the clear whoever he was talking to was encrypted P-25 traffic. The in the clear traffic was P-25. This may be the start of testing for the digital P-25 system that Monroe County is switching to in 2007.

D

DaveNF2G

I have noticed on some of the newer digital channels in the Albany area that the users seem to put their radios into encrypted mode accidentally, so a lot of conversations are half encrypted and half clear. One of the techs might have done this when you were listening.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Depending on the radio make, it can be very easy to swtich encypted.

Some can be a button, knob or even predefined by channel (strapped).

The Motorola XTS radios can happen easliy, whereas the Sabers were a bit harder to do. The mobiles are clearly marked, but I have seen where many secure buttons were located next to the scan button.

Either way in P25, you won't notice the difference as there is no audio differences to alert the operators.

Theo

Premium Subscriber

I know that the County Hazmat Team uses P-25 encrypted as a Tac channel when they are working a level 1 or higher. It could be them.

6m171

What you were hearing was likely "The Hill" - AKA Radio Center, AKA Monroe County Public Safety Communications. They're the organization that maintains the comms infrastructure for the County agencies. They have their own radio freqs, and I believe that may be one of them. They have the ability to run clear, encrypted, and IMBE on those freqs.

Last I knew, the Haz Mat team ran encrypted on VHF. That was a while ago, so I could be wrong.

Also, last I knew, they were going to reuse the existing frequencies for the new digital radio system. It should just be a matter of installing the new mobile and portable units and 'flipping the switch' as the existing repeater infrastructure already has the ability to support digital comms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.