• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Extream noise over the airwaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan_Love_Jr

Anymore there has been a none stop loud noise over the airwaves on every single channel over the CB. Does anyone know why? And when it will stop? It's like the evenings/nights are quiet. But when the sun comes up, the noise starts up again. I mean it has been so bad that I don't even use the CB anymore. End of Line.

JayMojave

Hello Allen: The last three answers were non answers, no help there.

You maybe receiving some sort of interference from a local source of something. Try another radio, and drive around see were the intefering signal gets weaker or louder. Could even be a applicance in the house gone nutz oid generating some sort of noise. Sounds like it has something to do with tempture.

Good luck

Jay in the Mojave

mancow

Database Admin
How were they non answers? The solar cycle is ramping up. Signals in the 30 meg range are being heard over in Ireland. That means that all the CB crap floating around is being reflected back down as well.

reedeb

You maybe receiving some sort of interference from a local source of something. Try another radio, and drive around see were the intefering signal gets weaker or louder. Could even be a applicance in the house gone nutz oid generating some sort of noise. Sounds like it has something to do with tempture.

Good luck

Jay in the Mojave

I guess YOU don't know diddly about CBs and the solar cycle [IT can last for 3 to 5 yrs ]. PLUS figure in so many folks alos on the air trying to talk and all you get is noise. SOOOO I gues YOU gave a non answer then. DUH!!!

33.gif

kc9cra

You know, I hear a bunch of hams talking about 10m propagation like this. It's only good during certain times for a few years, then it cuts off and your screwed for another decade. I think it's just a way of removing themselves from the cb community. I guess folks are afraid of promoting a band so close to cb, because they're afraid of the cb rubbing off in some way. God forbid, you talk on that band too long, you might start talking with an accent and get an urge lounge around the house in your wifebeater watching wwe.

The reality is, I know this because I listen to the band, cb is open every day. Yes, the winter is better, but it's open every day. Ten meters starts to suck during the summer months. It's just a social thing. Hams don't like to admit that you can get good skip on cb, because after all, hams are so much better than those uncouth rogues.

You know I'd love to see a ham sporting a mullet and living in a trailer with a huntin dog and an old beat-up pick-up truck and a bumpersticker saying something about your honor student who works a blue collar job. I would just love it. I'm a ham, and the hobby's fun, but hams hate that stuff. They just think they're so much better.

W2NJS

KC9CRA wrote above:

"They just think they're so much better."

CBers are, always have been, and will continue to be the best and most likely candidates for "conversion" to hamdom A continuing thread in so many hams' stories is that they started in CB. While I realize that not all CBers become hams the fact is that so many of them do that we owe them respect and should avoid the mullet, gun, dog and wife beater shirt talk. It's pretty easy these days to find people of that description who are hams working 75-meter phone.

mancow

Database Admin
Whats all this about? Who was degrading CB operators in this thread? I mentioned that you start to hear CB crap and that's what it is. It's crap that's a result of AM. Thousands of AM signals mixing together turn into that familiar jet engine type of whine that anyone with any experience around the bands is familiar with. It's not a dig on CB it's a result of physics. Incidentally the AM aircraft unicom freqs sound very similar at altitude on a nice calm spring day. It's just the way it is with AM. Even 10 meter FM has sounded like crap at times lately with tons of signals mixing in from all over.

Last edited:

reedeb

You know, I hear a bunch of hams talking about 10m propagation like this. It's only good during certain times for a few years, then it cuts off and your screwed for another decade. I think it's just a way of removing themselves from the cb community. I guess folks are afraid of promoting a band so close to cb, because they're afraid of the cb rubbing off in some way. God forbid, you talk on that band too long, you might start talking with an accent and get an urge lounge around the house in your wifebeater watching wwe.

[I NEVER said ANYTHING about hams being better then CBers. ]

[I've been into CBs since 1976 and YES I've heard the racket from the solar cylce and other crap].

The reality is, I know this because I listen to the band, cb is open every day. Yes, the winter is better, but it's open every day. Ten meters starts to suck during the summer months. It's just a social thing. Hams don't like to admit that you can get good skip on cb, because after all, hams are so much better than those uncouth rogues.

[NO not better just more educated].

You know I'd love to see a ham sporting a mullet and living in a trailer with a huntin dog and an old beat-up pick-up truck and a bumpersticker saying something about your honor student who works a blue collar job. I would just love it. I'm a ham, and the hobby's fun, but hams hate that stuff. They just think they're so much better.
You'd like to meet my buddy he's just the way you described.

I have no argument against CBers, just the wackos who feel the need to run X thousands watts for a REAL radio.so they can yack across town and claim they are a big man. Being a ham and saying this aren't you being a bit of a hypocrite? Sounds a lot like it.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
My guess would be that no body asked what sort of "noise" the OP was receiving. Some people just assumed it was enhanced propagation.

Making any assumption as to the source, without at least finding out what type(s) of noise is/are being heard, and the location(s) involved, is doing a disservice to the OP.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What type of noise are you hearing? Is it a cacophony of different transmissions, or something sounding more man-made? Is the noise different on different channels?

Since you are hearing it across all channels, I would tend to think it is some man made system causing the interference. However, since there has been really good propagation lately, you could "just" be hearing a couple hundred people, all keying up at one time.

RadioDaze

Thousands of AM signals mixing together turn into that familiar jet engine type of whine that anyone with any experience around the bands is familiar with.

It's easier to spot with a ham transceiver or general coverage receiver. A regular CB is channelized so that you don't notice it as much as when you tune through with a VFO. Then you can hear all those whining AM signals located at the CB "channel" frequencies. If you tune through and it's continuous instead of patterned at the CB channels, then it's probably some other type of interference.

Allan_Love_Jr

Good luck

Jay in the Mojave
Even my Hand Held even picks it up. And I never use the darn thing.

pjtnascar

99% sure it's the solar cycle. If you have a sideband radio, you'll likely hear people from distant places in the country/world. It makes using your CB difficult, but it can also be fun if you try working the skip.

And yes, CB is the gateway to amateur radio. I became a ham after starting out in CB.

kc9cra

KC9CRA wrote above:

"They just think they're so much better."

CBers are, always have been, and will continue to be the best and most likely candidates for "conversion" to hamdom A continuing thread in so many hams' stories is that they started in CB. While I realize that not all CBers become hams the fact is that so many of them do that we owe them respect and should avoid the mullet, gun, dog and wife beater shirt talk. It's pretty easy these days to find people of that description who are hams working 75-meter phone.

Yes, and let us not forget, Guns, huntin dogs, mullets and wifebeater teashirts aren't bad, assumptions of social superiority are.

JayMojave

Hello All:

Yes non answers, or at least very vuage answers. Somehow I deleted a paragrah in my first reply, surly I am skilled in typing...NOT The Solar Cycle needs a little more explanation that a Solar web site.

Like massive numbers of stations skipping their signals off the attmosphere, the solar cycle allowing the signals to bounce off the attmosphere allowing one to hear a ball of buzzing stations at one time when the sun comes up.

Jay in the Mojave

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Wow. This thread sure deteriorated in a hurry.

What's missing is the OP describing just what the noise is. A recording would be better. In my experience, when that part of the spectrum opens up, signals are strong, and there isn't usually a lot of static. Lots of signals would translate to lots of heterodynes and lots of voices.

So, how about the OP give a better description of what's going on. And THEN we can bash CB operators vs. hams. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.