Fastest way to get to a specific Talk Group on a specific Site - suggestions wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
I happen to live within zipline distance of one of my local fire brigade stations; when they get a call, I can actually hear a series of tones ring out in the station, and usually within 2 minutes (technically, 90 seconds is what they contractually commit to), sirens and all the rest...

As a result, I'm looking for the fastest and most efficient way of telling my SDS100 to go to the Talk Group associated with that station's dispatch, as well as perhaps one specific radio site within the P25 network. The city has a couple of sites, and my Favourites List that this channel/TalkGroup sits in will scan through them all; generally speaking, it's the best way I've found to hear most calls reliably.

I have a Channel Tag set for this particular channel, but that doesn't seem to lock down the radio site. I can do that by doing the function-dept lock manually, I know, but, I am looking for the most efficient way possible to quickly get to where I want to be. I know I could set it as a Priority Channel, but that's not quite what I'm after. Even the Channel Tag is a bit slow, with having to enter the "." along the way.

Just wondering if anyone has a personal favourite way to get to something quickly, and stay there.

As far as I can tell, there are probably half a dozen ways of doing this on the SDS100, but whatever people actually use and like is what I'm hoping to hear.

Thanks!

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
Aye, aware of that - but, I know that I can include/exclude sites, and depending on a variety of factors (where exactly I am in the city, maybe weather, who knows), some sites are better than others. I know I can create a new FL with just one site, and the same system/talk group identifier, and just enable that, but, I am hoping for a better way.

pb_lonny

Aye, aware of that - but, I know that I can include/exclude sites, and depending on a variety of factors (where exactly I am in the city, maybe weather, who knows), some sites are better than others. I know I can create a new FL with just one site, and the same system/talk group identifier, and just enable that, but, I am hoping for a better way.

That is how I would do it, separate system / site with just that TG.

Ubbe

Talkgroups have number tags. Stop scan by pushing the CHANNEL button and enter the FL, System, and TG number tags. If you are in the correct FL then use a dot. You can set that TG to number tag 911 as it is easy to remember. Or set FL 9 and System 1 and the TG to 1.
You can do an extra FL, and make it permanent avoided, it doesn' matter for number tags, and make a system and the TG with those number tags 9-1-1.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
For the specific purpose of shortcutting to one talkgroup on one site, a dedicated FL with Location Control OFF, ID Scan set, and all of the other sites and talkgroups removed is probably the best bet. A FL can be toggled with a single number key and Enter.

But in general, that's bad programming practice.

Ubbe

Uniden added the number tag feature for this specific use, to quickly go to one TG or one frequency to monitor only that. When leaving the number tag mode the scanner are scanning exacly as it was. Everything that number tags use can be permanently avoided, as avoid only works during scanning. If creating an extra FL that are set to permamanent avoid you can set it up exactly how you want it, with only one site if that's your wish.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.