• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G-Series Trunking Free Scan Beta Test II

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

Not necessarily. Your scanning multiple systems. You are going to miss alot of traffic. Pager or radios that scan between systems only monitor one system at a time and jump to the next system to check for messages. During the time they are listening to the other network, your missing traffic on the whatever else you have programmed.
I won't miss much of anything, each of the 3 systems I'll be monitoring has 3 Tg's so my total is 9 tg's I think I'll be OK

jpb

Premium Subscriber
I won't miss much of anything, each of the 3 systems I'll be monitoring has 3 Tg's so my total is 9 tg's I think I'll be OK

The number of talkgroups you're monitoring isn't the problem. The radio has to:
  1. Scan to find the control channel and lock (this step is slow)
  2. Once locked, see if any selected talkgroups are actually talking (this step is pretty fast-- maybe only 1-2 seconds, even if you have a bunch of talkgroups)
  3. Move to the next system & repeat #1 and #2.
While it's doing steps 1 and 2, the other two systems you are listening to are NOT being checked at all. That's why they are telling you you will miss transmissions. You will. Same problem exists on Motorola's top-of-the-line APX radios when you try multi-system scan.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You'll miss transmissions with a top-of-the-line scanner as well. The more systems or frequencies you're scanning, the more you'll potentially miss. While you're scanner stops on an EMT call for a lift assist two towns away, you may be missing a shooting involving your local PD. This is why many scanner hobbyists use several simultaneously-running scanners to monitor multiple agencies.

minasha

The number of talkgroups you're monitoring isn't the problem. The radio has to:
  1. Scan to find the control channel and lock (this step is slow)
  2. Once locked, see if any selected talkgroups are actually talking (this step is pretty fast-- maybe only 1-2 seconds, even if you have a bunch of talkgroups)
  3. Move to the next system & repeat #1 and #2.
While it's doing steps 1 and 2, the other two systems you are listening to are NOT being checked at all. That's why they are telling you you will miss transmissions. You will. Same problem exists on Motorola's top-of-the-line APX radios when you try multi-system scan.
Thank You
I might just stay with V. 1.3 now

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Thank You
I might just stay with V. 1.3 now
Not being a 1.4 Beta tester, I can't say for sure, but it would seem to me that scanning multiple sites and systems would be an option. I would think you'd have the ability to continue to program your pager as you now do by separating sites and systems into separate knobs and zones. Even your garden-variety scanners give you that option.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I may have missed it, but does this version support encryption? I can't seem to locate the checkbox in PPS to enable "Encrypt Key Program".

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I may have missed it, but does this version support encryption? I can't seem to locate the checkbox in PPS to enable "Encrypt Key Program".
I see stuff related to encryption on tabs D4 through D7 but the one you might be looking for is on D7, Step 1?

trido

Premium Subscriber
except tg hold way better in 1.30 than we have in 1.40.for one when we hold on a tg
we dont have the tg name on the display plus we cant set timer for tg hold.so no i would leave 1.40 beta for 1.30.
cause we have no idea when 1.40 beta 2 will be out.

Everyone with V1.4 already has the V1.3 features. No reason to use V1.3 for them.

Last edited:

trido

Premium Subscriber
so far 1.40 doesnt work that way we can scan multi knob positions one system per knob.it is slow and i agree with i guessing that is tim we do miss alot with unication only.

I do like 1.3 but 1.4 will be what I really want. To be able to monitor 3 different trunking systems on 1 knob position means i won't miss any
of my desired TG's. That would be OK with me.

sdl2

Premium Subscriber
Everyone with V1.4 already has the V1.3 features. No reason to use V1.3 for them.
I've just learned of the free scan beta program and filled out the form. Is there any way of getting the 1.13 beta until the 1.14 beta comes out?

N6ML

I've just learned of the free scan beta program and filled out the form. Is there any way of getting the 1.13 beta until the 1.14 beta comes out?

V1.30 is already released - it was announced last week (see other threads in this forum).

V1.40 is the only release currently in beta. As I understand it, it's between "beta 1" and "beta 2" at the moment. As already noted, once you install any V1.40 build, you cannot go back to V1.30 (or V1.20).

sdl2

Premium Subscriber
V1.30 is already released - it was announced last week (see other threads in this forum).

V1.40 is the only release currently in beta. As I understand it, it's between "beta 1" and "beta 2" at the moment. As already noted, once you install any V1.40 build, you cannot go back to V1.30 (or V1.20).
Sorry, I got my releases mixed up. What I was asking was can the 1.3 Free Scan beta still be had?

Hit_Factor

Sorry, I got my releases mixed up. What I was asking was can the 1.3 Free Scan beta still be had?
You still got it wrong. You are looking for 1.4 beta 2.

sdl2

Premium Subscriber
You still got it wrong. You are looking for 1.4 beta 2.

Actually, I'm asking about the first beta, G-Series Trunking Free Scan Beta Test I. To my knowledge, Beta test II hasn't been released yet. Of course I could still be wrong.

Hit_Factor

Actually, I'm asking about the first beta, G-Series Trunking Free Scan Beta Test I. To my knowledge, Beta test II hasn't been released yet. Of course I could still be wrong.
I think that ship has sailed for the first beta, hopefully I'm wrong. Contact the guy who posted the link I provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.