GPS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Can I still use my Garmin Etrex Legend with the 436HP.

Also would like to use my Garmin Etrex 20 with it as well. I can use it and how do I get to do so ?

Note: Moderator, If this thread is in the wrong spot, Please place it where it should and thanks.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Garmin Etrex Legend is a NMEA compatible device. The following comes from page 60 of the manual:

For the BCD436HP, use the 4-pin mini plug to connect to the scanner using a NMEA compatible GPS device. The BCD536HP has a 9-pin RS232 male serial connector and you should select a baud rate of (4800 bps) for the serial port.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Do I need to use the adpaters (null modem and gender changing) with the 436 HP ?

I know the 536HP uses DB9 plug so I will not those to hook the unit with the Unidens GPS Unit,

thanks

Hit_Factor

The trick will be finding the correct cables or making them. A couple post up tells you what you need to plug into the scanner. You have the eTrex and can figure out that end.

If you can handle 4 leads, solder and a soldering iron you should be good to go.

calking

Compatible GPS units for the BCD436HP

I guess no one can answer my question about Extrex 20 and the 436/536 HP.

Oh well.

Please be patient, someone will try and help you. It may take a little time but in most cases you will receive and answer. :)

This is a list of compatible devices for the BCD436HP, There may be more.. Thanks to Jay911 for forwarding me this list..

Scannerforce GPS
* Garmin GPS 18 Note: Superceded by GPS 18x PC
* Delorme Tripmate (with modification for autostart)
* GARMIN eTreX Note: Now discontinued
* GARMIN eTreX Legend Note: Now discontinued
* GARMIN eMap Note: Now discontinued
* GARMIN Rino110
* GARMIN GPS 18 PC Note: Superceded by GPS 18x PC
* GARMIN GPS 18x PC
* GARMIN 12XL Note: Now discontinued
* GARMIN GPSmap 60CS(x) (needs Garmin 010-10141-00 or equivalent cable) Note :CS is discontinued CSx is still available.
* GARMIN GPS2 Plus Note: Now discontinued
* Lowrance iFinder GO2
* MAGELLAN Meridian Marine Note: Now discontinued
* MAGELLAN Triton 2000 with 930-0017-001 Serial Cable (or equivalent serial cable).
* Uniden Mystic
* GPS1 Module Kit sold via Scannersoft website Note: No longer available.
* HOLUX Mouse GR-213 (when ordered with a serial cable)

The Etrex 20 uses a USB interface and may not be compatible...

Cal

blackmonte

GARMIN GPSmap 60CS(x) (needs Garmin 010-10141-00 or equivalent cable) Note :CS is discontinued CSx is still available.[/QUOTE said:
Is anyone using this setup with the 436? Looking at a pic of the cable 010-10141-00 it doesn't look like the cable end would be compatible without some kind of adaptor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I know this is a stupid question. But how long does it take to auto locate your location using a gps unit ? I am using the garmin Etrex lengend.

JamesO

I know this is a stupid question. But how long does it take to auto locate your location using a gps unit ? I am using the garmin Etrex lengend.

Its a function of the GPS unit and how long it takes to acquire the satellites/location, not really a function of the scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A cold start (GPS has a very "stale" last location) can take 3-5 minutes with a ciear view of the sky. Warm start can be as short as 20 seconds.

phask

Premium Subscriber

Auto Locate - don't confuse the new scanners auto locate with GPS - different functions.

Cold start varies for many things,amount of time since last power on, if GPS has moved from last location sine re-powering. Whether moving or still,, how far North or South, number of visible sats., and on and on.

Under a minute is a good avg. for re0start in the same, fixed location.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Sorry another gps question

Ok does the 436 HP have auto loacate before it begins to locate groups,sites with the accordance with the GPS location ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, but I do not understand your question. But, for clarity, "Auto Locate" is not a GPS function. Auto Locate uses radio tower signals to approximate your location. So, if you don't actually mean that function, probably best to use some other terminology.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to display the current GPS location on the screen?

By the way, after using this on my 436 in my truck all week, all I can say is you guys did a fantastic job. After the first day of fine tuning, and locking out (opps, permanantly avoiding) several recurring noise frequencies, I have not had to really touch the scanner at all. Range is excellent with a gain type roof antenna. Good job.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
ok I guess I need to go back and read up on the Location Based scanning.

I have all the GPS Coordinates loaded into the scanner, I have also set the ranges for the locations. and have attached the scanner. I have also check the port speed to 4800 bps for the garmin lengend gps.

I have not yet seen the 436hp lock out any sites/groups from the list. I have missed something.

I still learning about the 436HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.