SDS100/SDS200: GPS stopped, not displaying, working.

woodtrol

Premium Subscriber
I’m using a relatively new gps kit from uniden, connected to an sds100. Latest firmware. I’ve had the radio for a few days and I have it set up in a vehicle.
It worked great until today and the gps stopped. I’ve tried all I know to do, is there a way to troubleshoot the gps, like see the actual location display? There’s a red light on the adapter plug but otherwise these seem to have no indication of operation.
Really odd that it just stopped, and disappointed that it failed this quick. The baud rate is 4800, and the scanner is connected with the charging usb/gps port.

Help!

Thanks.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

woodtrol

Premium Subscriber
Well that’s exactly what I wanted! Unfortunately it’s showing no gps information.

woodtrol

Premium Subscriber
FYI. I’m not sure if charging and using gps simultaneously caused excessive heat, or if it was just by chance, but I pulled the battery out and let it sit for about 5 min… reconnected and powered up with gps location again… hopefully it’s good to go.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
You would have to read this manual but basically you need to edit the items on your scanner display. It can display Lat and Long

That - and looking at the GPS icon.
The lat/long on the display will show when the GPS is locked.
The GPS icon shows if the radio is seeing the GPS.
Do you have the GPS icon?

If no, check your baud rate, like a couple of others have said.
If the baud rate is correct, then the GPS went south somewhere.

Personally, on an SDS100, I'd go with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQFHLBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMAJFUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Oh I'm sure the GPS stuff is "new and improved" since 2018 :)

One way of trouble shooting GPS functionality is:

1. Disconnect GPS
2. Turn on Full Database
3. Enter a zip code of 90210 (assuming you are not in Hollywood)
4. See if the scanner loads "stuff" appropriate for Hollywood CA
5. Reconnect GPS
6. See if the scanner will load "stuff" appropriate for your home area. If so, GPS is working fine

a417

(If the OP has access to one) [I'd] check the data pin on the GPS to see if it's putting out a valid serial stream. I did this when I was cobbling together my original GPS mod for my SDS100.

The op doesn't need anything like a HP/Agilent/Keysight to do this, I used a USB Hantek unit that I really have come to enjoy using. If the OP also wants to dabble, I'd recommend the Hantek HT6022BE for a super-entry level.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I’m using a relatively new gps kit from uniden, connected to an sds100. Latest firmware. I’ve had the radio for a few days and I have it set up in a vehicle.
It worked great until today and the gps stopped. I’ve tried all I know to do, is there a way to troubleshoot the gps, like see the actual location display? There’s a red light on the adapter plug but otherwise these seem to have no indication of operation.
Really odd that it just stopped, and disappointed that it failed this quick. The baud rate is 4800, and the scanner is connected with the charging usb/gps port.

Help!

Thanks.
I've had the same thing happen with mine. No changes, just stopped working.
Double check settings if you have done any recent programming from software. That's the biggest problem I've had. Sentinel and proscan don't always download the most current settings between them.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
It is always advisable to customize your display to show lat/long.
Then, you always know when you have a GPS 'lock' - or not...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
That's the biggest problem I've had. Sentinel and proscan don't always download the most current settings between them.

They should. When making changes at the front panel, use Sentinel to read the FL and use ProScan to read the FL so Sentinel and ProScan will be in sync. If making changes in Sentinel or ProScan, then write to the scanner then read back using the other so everything is in sync.