Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Seems to me that will be a can of worms trying to do them all at once...
Start cranking out a few updates at a time... Make sure that those work before adding or fixing more things...

Last edited:

MStep

Seems to me that will be a can of worms trying to do them all at once...
Start cranking out a few at a time... Make sure that those work before adding or fixing more things...

You were reading my mind. Presenting a release with 20 or 30 patches could be a disaster with sudden unintended consequences across the board. I would say that they might consider releasing one patch every two weeks and waiting for positive feedback before releasing the next patch. If they have 25 or so patches to issue, it would take about a year to get them all into the field, but at least if something goes haywire, they would be able to trace it back to the exact patch or conflicting patches.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
You were reading my mind. Presenting a release with 20 or 30 patches could be a disaster with sudden unintended consequences across the board. I would say that they might consider releasing one patch every two weeks and waiting for positive feedback before releasing the next patch. If they have 25 or so patches to issue, it would take about a year to get them all into the field, but at least if something goes haywire, they would be able to trace it back to the exact patch or conflicting patches.

I've been asking about this "list" and where things stand for a few months now. This approach is what we're used to so we can have different users evaluate from different locations and have an open thread to report bugs. I seem to recall one of the firmware upgrades was so bad, UPMan advised us to go back to the previous version, and within a couple days we had the new and improved firmware. Send something out that we can all evaluate, and leave the option open to return to a previous version if necessary. (Beta version vs Sentinel version).

MStep

I've been asking about this "list" and where things stand for a few months now. This approach is what we're used to so we can have different users evaluate from different locations and have an open thread to report bugs. I seem to recall one of the firmware upgrades was so bad, UPMan advised us to go back to the previous version, and within a couple days we had the new and improved firmware. Send something out that we can all evaluate, and leave the option open to return to a previous version if necessary. (Beta version vs Sentinel version).

Messages 984 and 985 in this thread would seem to indicate that we are closer to the "beginning of the beginning" of whatever processes needs to be effected now that August has arrived. And apparently, from my reading, they are still trying to shore up the hardware before getting involved in any firmware, and then more so with bugs that have been reported and less so with features that have been requested.

I would guess that the process has changed since the loss of Paul, and that new procedures and practices had to be implemented to try to keep step. I don't think it's reasonable to expect any "overnight" developments or miracles as it appears that a preponderance of caution is more the order of the day.

At least, that's what I got out of those two messages--- nevertheless, as is often quoted, "your mileage may vary".

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
TETRA vs "Bug Fixes" does not have to be an either/or!

When you have a budget, and expense A and B adds up to more than that budget, you DO have to make a choice.

So yes, it might have to be an "either/or" if both exceed the budget (in money or in time).

I DO like the idea that Uniden Japan/Europe can front the expense for the European market and they can front that R&D cost. History shows it's usually the other way around.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
View attachment 107660

We are still discussing Pie in the Sky, months and months ago we should have had the very basic weekly firmware updates resume. Don't know what else to say.

So your choice would have been to fix the bugs before the hardware and let more units be released with the existing hardware?

The one thing that has changed is that I am still the "new guy" and do not have as much pull as UPMan did.

Some firmware issues are currently being addressed. Add to that the new TDMA CC issue which may be more important than any other firmware issues.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So your choice would have been to fix the bugs before the hardware and let more units be released with the existing hardware?

The one thing that has changed is that I am still the "new guy" and do not have as much pull as UPMan did.

Some firmware issues are currently being addressed. Add to that the new TDMA CC issue which may be more important than any other firmware issues.

What is the plan for hardware fixes? Will we be able to update via firmware,or will the scanners have to be sent in or is this only for future models?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The hardware fixes are done at the factory. Any units in the field with issues would have to be addressed by the repair center.

By its nature, hardware cannot be fixed via firmware update. I wish it could. That would make things much easier.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The hardware fixes are done at the factory. Any units in the field with issues would have to be addressed by the repair center.

By its nature, hardware cannot be fixed via firmware update. I wish it could. That would make things much easier.

So the hardware fixes would not benefit those of us who own the scanners, unless the hardware fix would directly effect us? If you left the current hardware in place, went to the bug fixes, that would benefit more of us here. Waiting on hardware fix for most of us isn't beneficial. Can the Phase 2 control channel issue you mention be corrected via firmware is an example I can think of. The late entry Phase 2 UID capture issue, can that be addressed via firmware?

Maybe have the engineers put out a beta firmware addressing some of the issues, and those of us who have the addressed issue(s) decide if we should download the firmware? I know you have a beta test group, what kind of responses have you received on the beta firmware...if any have gone out?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Why do we have to address one before the other?

Being realistic and honest about it, when the radios came out and then there was an issue with something we got a firmware update. If the update didn't turn out the way Paul wanted it to... we got another update to tweak it. While Paul could still work he tried to fix things as they popped up. We also had beta versions which eventually became permanent. Once Paul was gone, no one addressed anything, including the hum and intelligent users put their heads together and StaticDischarge developed a permanent fix, not Uniden, more issues have popped up as people became more familiar with the radios and the radios age.

Can you really put out one big firmware update to repair all of the different issues? Firmware updates are going to be a long bit by bit piecemeal process, don't you think? I would think they should have started right away? That was possible right? It certainly was before.

When you're talking about hardware issues, let's be reality-based here, you're basically building another version of the radio. Future models will have the hardware updates but all of us... we literally have to get involved in the Uniden repair process. I assume that will be free and you're going to have a massive repair campaign, we're certainly not going to pay for it.

We will be able to figure out where the serial number starts of the new model. What becomes of the old model?, who's going to want them knowing that they will be involved in the massive repair campaign that's going to overload the repair shop?

Forgive me for just thinking out loud here, trying to make sense of it and see some kind of a well-organized, predictable outcome. I realize that you have a huge charlie foxtrot here.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Some of the Uniden Repair fixes (THE COLD SOLDER JOINT) That I paid for had to be repaired again Uniden wanted another repair fee for the repair the fix they did (NOT FAIR) so I sent it elsewhere and it was repaired right the 1st time. So far you have not put on UPMAN's PENNY LOAFERS much less laced up his shoes.
1628769908983.png

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What it appears you're doing Joe is keeping people silent while making promises that might never materialize. I've questioned your validity to others privately, wondering if you're portraying yourself in a different light than you are. When UPMan was with us, as trentbob mentioned, firmware updates were a trial and error sort of thing. This is starting to sound like we're assisting with a future model and you have no intention of upgrading any firmware because you don't have the authorization to do so.

So here's a question for all the folks out here...if "Joe" is truly working to upgrade hardware before working on firmware updates which we've been discussing here for 7 months now, if that firmware is introduced to our current hardware scheme, could this in any way harm our scanners or "brick" them as I've heard the term used?

Hey Joe, send me a PM with your Uniden number, I'd like to talk more about this :unsure:

divison200

Some of the Uniden Repair fixes (THE COLD SOLDER JOINT) That I paid for had to be repaired again Uniden wanted another repair fee for the repair the fix they did (NOT FAIR) so I sent it elsewhere and it was repaired right the 1st time. So far you have not put on UPMAN's PENNY LOAFERS much less laced up his shoes.

buddrosa: I Just send my sds100 in, where did you send yours for the other repair?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.