Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Why are you folks getting so upset? Did you all forget the whole durn world shutdown for over a year? And may soon do so again!

I have no idea how long Joe has been with Uniden, he worked with Paul so at least since late 2019. I have no idea of his technical skills vs Paul's but come on, why are a lot of you beating him up? Do you really believe he's not telling us what he can and so forth.

Do you really think Uniden has a pile of firmware engineers just sitting there twiddling there thumbs? That they party all day long? Do you really any firmware coder can just fix any bug in a day or two.

Reality folks, cool down. You don't like Uniden, then sell yours and go buy one from another company.

Seriously

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Why are you folks getting so upset? Did you all forget the whole durn world shutdown for over a year? And may soon do so again!

I have no idea how long Joe has been with Uniden, he worked with Paul so at least since late 2019. I have no idea of his technical skills vs Paul's but come on, why are a lot of you beating him up? Do you really believe he's not telling us what he can and so forth.

Do you really think Uniden has a pile of firmware engineers just sitting there twiddling there thumbs? That they party all day long? Do you really any firmware coder can just fix any bug in a day or two.

Reality folks, cool down. You don't like Uniden, then sell yours and go buy one from another company.

Seriously

To answer your question on his validity...no. do you know he worked with Paul, or just said he did to attempt to make himself credible?

What I've been reading is he's "focused on hardware first", which wouldn't benefit anyone here unless they plan on sending their scanners into Uniden repair. Despite the 50+ pages of firmware update suggestions, we haven't seen anything materialize in 7 months since this thread started, except "it's on the list". When asked to update us on this "list", we were told firmware is taking the back seet to hardware, which would mean anyone here would need to send the scanner in...as I said. So he initiated a thread asking for us to "help him help us", but all I've seen is us helping him.

The covid excuse is about over while the world has returned to work. Some are reporting improved turnaround times for repairs which tells me people are working at Uniden. It's time for the "help you" portion of this thread be implemented. To me it sounds like we are "helping him" create new hardware for a scanner we might never see.

I (and others I'm sure), would like to be proved wrong. So...firmware first, followed by hardware should be the focus. Proof in the pudding..

Last edited:

MStep

JB was on the Scanner Master show last night; he's just not here all that much. Probably wants to avoid getting pummeled with the same questions about where's the new firmware, the TWiki, etc.

Can't really say I blame him....Mike

Any link to the show?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Any link to the show?
idk, but I just found this from a google search I did trying to find the link to the show..

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
idk, but I just found this from a google search I did trying to find the link to the show..

If this is true, he works for AirSpy which I believe manufactures the Dongles etc.? Or...he's an author. :unsure:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
If this is true, he works for AirSpy which I believe manufactures the Dongles etc.? Or...he's an author. :unsure:

From my research from the link that I found, it would appear that he owns AirSpy.US which is the US distributor for AirSpy

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber

I always suspected it was ye old trusted Voyager (Joe) wearing a new hat. ;)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Watch the Community Announcements forum - that's where the shows are announced a few days ahead.

Mike

radio3353

Would this mean he's not a "Uniden Represenative" as his screen name says? :unsure:

But, I thought RR vetted JoeBearcat before allowing him to have the 'Uniden Representative' tag. I know I read that here or on another thread. Can anybody from RR confirm? Thanks.

Gilligan

Database Admin
So this is entirely a feature request but relates to the existing LCN finder and Discovery features on the x36 and SDS scanners. Any time I am travelling, I try to search for undocumented trucked systems. It would be really neat if these scanners had a bit more functionality in this area, and I think it's totally possible with firmware.

Let's say that you did a quick manual search of the bands and found a control channel for an unlisted digital system. You would need to be able to see the system ID from that system, but let's suppose that you did not have a list of frequencies to search for voice activity on (or the system is using unlicensed frequencies). You could then use this new feature, which I think could be called System Discovery mode, to identify active frequencies for the system as well as any LCN or configuration that could be determined.

You would create a new System Discovery search and specify the system ID to search for as well as the search ranges (selected from the menu). The scanner would then continuously search the ranges looking for any active digital transmissions which match the system ID. Every time it finds a match, the frequency is added to a list internally. A second list is maintained which contains any confirmed LCN or configuration which has been found for the system. Then every second or two, it checks the control channel for activity. If the control channel indicates activity on a voice channel that has not been confirmed, it then scans the list of found frequencies to see if any of those frequencies match the control channel.

Essentially this feature would be a combination of a trunking discovery as well as LCN finder. In theory, it should be able to discover all active voice channels in use for a digital system and then discover the LCN configuration by polling the voice data every second or two. It could even create a system on the scanner and populate the frequency and LCN data. And as was mentioned previously about LCN Finder, the results should be saved to the micro SD card prior to powering off the scanner.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator

Ouch???

Status
Not open for further replies.