help with BC396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAscannernut

I just got a 396xt that was preprogrammed for my county. I am new to digital scanners but have had analog ones for years. When I scan it seems to only pick up the digital ones that were preprogrammed. However I believe they preprogrammed even the analog channels too. I cannot find anywhere in the manual how to listen to preprogrammed conventional channels. I am afraid to accidently delete what was preprogrammed. I am sure it is an easy answer, but I didn't want to mess this thing up before getting a better understanding first. Aso, if there is a link besides the manual that would be a good guide for a new user let me know. thank you very much in advance.

Scanner4221

Why don't you just re-program the system using the resources on this website. The reprogrammed systems are usually terrible..

Start by downloading Freescan (from scannow.org). Download the current config that's on the scanner (just in case you want to go back) and save it. Now clear the config in the scanner and reprogram the scanner with the resources from the database on RR.

PAscannernut

I guess my question is pretty general. I don't want to reprogram it as I paid to have it initially programmed. I just want to be able to find where the conventional preprogrammed channels would be located. I am assuming that a default scan would only be scanning the digital channels at one time or at least it seems that way. I am very new to this scanner. I would like to add more channels to it eventually but want to figure it out a bit more at first. Is there also a way to scroll through the channels and see exactly what was preprogrammed for me? That is probably an easy navigation type question as well, but that is the level I am on with the scanner so far. I am learning little things with the manual but the easiest things such as navigation through the scanner seem to be absent. Thanks again for the help.

Scanner4221

I am still a little confused on what you're asking. Is the system that was programmed a trunking system or is it all conventional? Is it only one system or several systems?

Not exactly knowing how your scanner was programmed, telling you where things are located is going to be difficult. If you could download and save the programming with Freescan, then upload it somewhere and post the link here..I could probably help you easier.

W6KRU

You are going to want to figure out how to use the software eventually so start now. Download and install Freescan on your computer. Work your way through getting the software and the scanner communicating. After you accomplish that, you can download the contents of the scanner and you will see all of the programming in the scanner. This will make it easier to learn the scanner.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Scanner setup

I guess my question is pretty general. I don't want to reprogram it as I paid to have it initially programmed. I just want to be able to find where the conventional preprogrammed channels would be located. I am assuming that a default scan would only be scanning the digital channels at one time or at least it seems that way. I am very new to this scanner. I would like to add more channels to it eventually but want to figure it out a bit more at first. Is there also a way to scroll through the channels and see exactly what was preprogrammed for me? That is probably an easy navigation type question as well, but that is the level I am on with the scanner so far. I am learning little things with the manual but the easiest things such as navigation through the scanner seem to be absent. Thanks again for the help.

If you D/Led your setup into a program (like FREEScan) it doesn't change the programming in the scanner. Then you could see how they set things up (aka programmed) and see which systems are maybe LOCKED OUT and how SYSTEMS,TALKGROUPS, and all that are set up. You also may want to read the WIKI on UNIDEN DMA scanners. This wouldn't change the current way your scanner is programmed and would give you information on how they set it up. Keep in mind that there are many different ways to set up the same system and not everybody does it the same way. I borrowed the 396XT from the HAM STATION a local dealer and had to reprogram it to MY WAY to use it and reprogram it the way it was to give it back. Just my 2 cents! Good LUCK! and Happy Scanning.

PAscannernut

Thank you all for the help. I live in Montgomery County in PA and had Montgomery, Philadelphia County. I also had Washington County programmed because I travel alot back to Pittsburgh. I did get the ARC CD. Should I use that and freescan or both? Do they do the same thing? I got my scanner from scannermaster and they preprogrammed it for me. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other tips. I will check out those links. Thanks again for the help.

PAscannernut

I did figure out how to at least download the preprogrammed freq. from scannermaster to my ARCxt in case I do delete things by accident. Once I figure out the software and how to use it as far as programming I should be rolling. I cant believe how much scanners have changed over the years. Thanks for the help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is no way for anyone except the person who programmed the scanner for you to easily answer your original question.

If you HOLD, then F+Scroll, you will be able to see all the systems programmed into your scanner. The next-to-bottom line in the display (begins with an S) will tell you what SQK is assigned for each. To enable a system, while scanning press its SQK.

S0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 all use single-digit SQKs.
S1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 would indicate SQKs 10-19. You would press ./no + SQK to enter a two-digit SQK.
The single digit after the "S" indicates the first digit in the SQK. The blinking digit in the row to the right of the S# indicates the 2nd digit.

Status
Not open for further replies.