• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with Biophone MCI 3550-12 Not Receiving Transmissions

chas3

I just picked up a Medical Communications and Instrumentation Inc Paramedic Biophone almost identical to the picture that I posted. Unit did not include the battery pack, which I know would be toast at this point, so I have run a 13.8V power supply into it.

It turns on and transmits on all 10 channels (463/468 mhz duplex), that can be heard on my scanner, however when using another radio to transmit to it you can hear the mic being keyed on both the handset and built-in speaker, but no voice can be heard. Squelch is all the way down and background static can be heard. Tone switch is set to off.

Any ideas?

Obviously I am not familiar with how this unit operates and any help with documentation and/ or where to buy a battery housing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Biophone.jpg
    Biophone.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 84

chas3

Yes I am. I will try to move farther away and see if anything changes. Thank you.

ecps92

The Biophone transmits on 468 and receives on 463
on your test radio are you transmitting on 463? and do you have the correct PL/CTCSS??

I just picked up a Medical Communications and Instrumentation Inc Paramedic Biophone almost identical to the picture that I posted. Unit did not include the battery pack, which I know would be toast at this point, so I have run a 13.8V power supply into it.

It turns on and transmits on all 10 channels (463/468 mhz duplex), that can be heard on my scanner, however when using another radio to transmit to it you can hear the mic being keyed on both the handset and built-in speaker, but no voice can be heard. Squelch is all the way down and background static can be heard. Tone switch is set to off.

Any ideas?

Obviously I am not familiar with how this unit operates and any help with documentation and/ or where to buy a battery housing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

chas3

The Biophone transmits on 468 and receives on 463
on your test radio are you transmitting on 463? and do you have the correct PL/CTCSS??
Yes, I am transmitting on the correct receiving frequency for the Biophone, but have no idea if it has a coded squelch. How can I determine that?

Like I said, the "tone" switch is set to off, but I'm not certain if that switch is for a receiving or transmitting tone?

ecps92

Scanner with Tone Search/Find or Auto should provide you with the tone to attempt
Yes, I am transmitting on the correct receiving frequency for the Biophone, but have no idea if it has a coded squelch. How can I determine that?

Like I said, the "tone" switch is set to off, but I'm not certain if that switch is for a receiving or transmitting tone?

chas3

Scanner with Tone Search/Find or Auto should provide you with the tone to attempt
I was using the "close call" feature on my scanner to see if the Biophone was sending a tone during transmission (it was not). How would I use the scanner to see if the Biophone is looking for a tone when receiving?
Sorry for my simplistic questions. I'm just not as educated in radios as many of you are.

ecps92

Been so long since I used CC but that radio did not show tones, only freqs.

Program in the scanner the Freq and see what tone it is transmitting, then you can use that tone in your Transmitter to see if it opens the squelch
I was using the "close call" feature on my scanner to see if the Biophone was sending a tone during transmission (it was not). How would I use the scanner to see if the Biophone is looking for a tone when receiving?
Sorry for my simplistic questions. I'm just not as educated in radios as many of you are.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm not the radio police, but it's important to mention that your test transmissions could cause interference to medical facilities within range of the radios.

Consider using a dummy load on the Biophone (it will radiate a very short distance) and either a dummy load or the very lowest power setting on your test radio.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Those are public safety frequencies. You can't just use it to talk on. What is the plan for this ? The MED channel list is common across the US. As said you should be on a dummy load and not transmitting in the wild on that.

chas3

Understood. I plan to pull out the TX & RX modules to see if there are crystals that can be replaced to make it GMRS. I didn't even expect it to work when I purchased it. It's more of a conversation piece.

but have no idea if it has a coded squelch. How can I determine that?
A Jetstream JTFR1 will show freq and CTCSS tones but not digital codes.
I don't think they are made anymore, quick search only shows expired ebay listings.

Attachments

• jtfr1.jpg
    jtfr1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 9

joshlober

The amplifier and duplexer are specific to the factory frequencies. So, even if you could change the TX and RX frequencies, you'd also need to address those items.
The Tone RX switch is strictly receive tones. Transmit tones are controlled by the rotary knob.
There is no digital squelch. The was an ANI option for sending a fast DTMF sequence to alarm your 'home' hospital. I believe this is located in the 'Tone Pack' module.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber

I have one of these… it was $60. It has a bnc port and comes with a bnc antenna. It is a frequency counter and displays ctcss or dcs along with signal strength. Wide frequency range, analog and DMR, usb charging and inexpensive… you just tx for a second or two and it’ll display all pertinent info.

-B

Attachments

• E26EC4DA-346A-4FBB-B918-E61F49988BAF.jpeg
    E26EC4DA-346A-4FBB-B918-E61F49988BAF.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 28

hfd376

Premium Subscriber
So the radio is transmitting, but not getting any audio? I would check to see if it's set up to send a ekg. I think these muted the handset audio so it wouldn't corrupt the ekg.

joshlober

Today I finished the restoration of the Biocom 3550-12 which was donated by Kevin Nida at the FirstNet Authority.
The unit is now fully functional and has been installed in a NOS (new old stock) case.
The next phase of the project is restoration of the Rapid Charger unit and batteries.
If anyone has a 3550 they are willing to sell or donate, please contact me. I still have some NOS components and there are EMS museums that want these added to their collections.
Thanks,
Josh
20230603_114732.jpg

20230603_114330.jpg