• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng How to link radioreference data base to CHIRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1HRB

Premium Subscriber
How do I link a radioreference data base to CHIRP so I can enter into my Baofeng radio? When I use CHIRP, when I select "Query for data source" and select radioreference, it asks for my username, password, and zip code. When I enter that info and I get an error message, "Suds library required for RadioReference.com import." Try installing your distribution's python-suds package. What is a "Suds library"? I can access Repeater Book .
I use a MAC.

N1HRB

Premium Subscriber
I have not and have given up trying. Only advice I have found is to "install Suds Library" which NO ONE has told what that is and how to install. I have asked for advice on 4 or 5 websites, as well as, the CHIRP website. If you find a solution, please let me know!

w2dsx

I've learned to download what I wanted as a .csv file, edit it the way I want and then import it into Chirp as needed. Some radios want a different format, like when I use a Kenwood vs. a Baofeng. You can edit csv files with free programs such as OpenOffice or LibreOffice. There are numerous programs which need memory files in a different manner than others, like one for Chirp as opposed for one for SDRUno, etc. So I've just grown accustomed to do it myself via editing csv files as needed for each program. Using something called global edit makes it a snap from going from one program to another.

This is where the RadioReference downloads shine, being able to download in different formats. I'll do a download with both a pdf and a csv for all of a certain county, use the pdf as a visual reference for manually programing, making notes and/or logging, and then the csv for programing the radios or SDR programs. If you have a SDR and use it for scanning, I totally recommend CSVUserlistBrowser by DF8RY (it's free and he refuses donations!)

Anyways - back to Chirp and RR. There's quite a few YouTube vids on downloading csv files and loading them into Chirp, so I won't list them here. And there may be a simpler way of doing it directly from Chirp, but I'll leave that to others. But for me, I'll download the freq lists by county, etc., and then cherry pick what I want, just Ham, railroad, USCG, etc. I'll download from the HT with chirp, save it and export it as a csv, then going back to the files I created earlier, do a copy and paste of what I want into the Baofeng's list and then use Chirp to send it back to the radio. Some radios like Kenwood have a live mode so you can edit each memory as needed, but the Baofeng isn't that simple. I'll record which needs changing, like repeaters that went digital, bad tones for certain Ute's, etc and then next time I have a chance I'll dump it back into the Baofeng. This works for me, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I tried CHIRP once or twice - it does connect to the RRDB, but only at a very high level - I think it's by zip code, and only conventional data. It's very sloppy - I tried writing the authors but got a polite 'go away' message. So I did...Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I tried CHIRP once or twice - it does connect to the RRDB, but only at a very high level - I think it's by zip code, and only conventional data. It's very sloppy - I tried writing the authors but got a polite 'go away' message. So I did...Mike

I don't think the author of CHIRP ever completely upgraded his software to the newer interfacing standard which RR switched to a year or so ago. I use the CSV method with CHIRP myself, gives me more control over how the data appears when it's dumped into my radio.

RR uses SOAP for XML transfer of the data, and the "SUDS Library required" message the OP quoted would seem to indicate that his version of CHIRP doesn't have the proper SOAP library.

To the OP: Make sure you're running the current version of CHIRP, but if you are then I'd guess RR download isn't a very high priority for the author.

Update: from another thread on the same topic, try this command in the Terminal on your Mac: sudo easy_install -z suds

PS - I use a Mac myself; annoys me greatly to have to keep a Windows virtual machine around for programming certain radios.

Last edited:

dickert33

Premium Subscriber
to wa8pyr,
Your suggestion to use "sudo easy_install -z suds" was spot on. Made the change on my Mac, accessed the RR DB and sucked in a pile of frequencies. Thank you for the tip!!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
to wa8pyr,
Your suggestion to use "sudo easy_install -z suds" was spot on. Made the change on my Mac, accessed the RR DB and sucked in a pile of frequencies. Thank you for the tip!!

Glad it helped!

jervy7

Premium Subscriber
to wa8pyr,

Where is this "terminal" please? Have zero clue where to find this. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.