Icom: How to rebuild an ICOM BP-256 Battery Pack for the IC-92AD?

Waverider

Curious if anyone knows how to get into the ICOM BP-256 battery pack and replace the internal batteries? I have an old IC-92AD handheld whose battery is toast and I figure that there must be some sort of simple battery inside the plastic housing I could replace if I could get in there. Anyone have any experience, or even better, know of someone who rebuilds these sorts of things? Suggestions welcomed!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You may need a thin, flat, metal spudger to work into the seam between the two halves of the case.

Those cases are sometimes ultrasonically welded which makes getting them apart very difficult.

Waverider

Honestly why would one bother going through the headache when an aftermarket replacement is around $25 on Amazon.
I haven't had great experiences with the one aftermarket battery I have used (battery life isn't as good) so thought I'd see if I could rebuild the thing just for fun.

You may need a thin, flat, metal spudger to work into the seam between the two halves of the case.

Those cases are sometimes ultrasonically welded which makes getting them apart very difficult.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I suspect this case is welded as you suggest.