HP2 Hidden Audio Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I've discovered the Audio Hidden Menu on my HP2. The P25 Filter, and P25 Mode, also while scanning, it lets me monitor fhe error rate.

I haven't tried to change the two settings because I;m not aware of the functionality and how a change would reflect the operation of the scanner.

Can someone help me understand what these settings represent?

Thank you,
Dave

sambo300

Premium Subscriber
I've experimented with it.....but haven't found much of a difference.But with the nature of the quick transmissions.....hard to have enough time to actually give it a good test. About all I can tell you on it....just different filters/modes like you say.

marksmith

If the system you monitor always runs at 10 or 7 and the auto setting starts everything out at 8 (which it does) then theoretically putting in manual and setting for what the system decodes at will improve p25 decoded reception.

I have played with it where I am but find the HP2 automatically adjusts well to all systems I monitor so no real need.

Some people claim it's real helpful with trouble systems. Problem is I don't think it stays in place when you cycle the radio on/off.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

trunker

How do you get the hidden menu to display? With the XT models, you pressed Hold while powering up the radio.

cpetraglia

Pressing hold and power on with my 996XT just shows some different colored screens and then boots back to where I was. What am I doing wrong?

Chuck

Last edited:

marksmith

How do you get the hidden menu to display? With the XT models, you pressed Hold while powering up the radio.
On the HP2 go to menu, audio options.

Then hold you finger down on the lower right corner of the screen. It will highlight.

After a couple seconds you will get two more options on the menu.

P25 Filter
P25 mode

If you hold down in same area again you will get a third new option on the menu.

P25 Logging

Mark

cpetraglia

You have lost me. What new entries? I have not made any new entries. I thought this would take you to the hidden menu to adjust P25 settings.

Chuck

trunker

Then hold you finger down on the lower right corner of the screen. It will highlight.

P25 Filter
P25 mode

If you hold down in same area again you will get a third new option on the menu.

P25 Logging

Mark

I don't see anywhere in Sentinel to do this. Must not be included. Do I have the latest software update-2.03.02? No option to manually check so I'm assuming it's an automatic check when Sentinel starts.

marksmith

I don't see anywhere in Sentinel to do this. Must not be included. Do I have the latest software update-2.03.02? No option to manually check so I'm assuming it's an automatic check when Sentinel starts.
It's not in Sentinal. Only in the radio.

Mark

DSC45

Premium Subscriber

P25 Filter
P25 mode

P25 Logging

Mark

Thanks for the help!

KE0GXN

Anybody have any updates on these "hidden" options? I monitor a P-25 Phase II TDMA system in my county and it comes in fine (at least I think it does).....should I even mess with these options?

P25 Filter

P25 Mode

P25 Logging

What do they even do?

What would I be looking to improve? Kind of sucks there is no mention of these options in the owner's manual. I could be optimizing my listening experience, but have no clue what to look for or what I may be missing out on...... :(

marksmith

You will improve things much more by working with radio placement or antennas than messing with the auto settings on P25.

Stronger signal trumps all the settings.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ansky

I have tried playing around with those settings and it didnt make any difference whatsoever.

marksmith

I have made some on the fly adjustments using these settings, but the most you can effect really is the first few seconds of a transmission by setting the initial decode level for a system closer to what auto eventually finds.

And it only impacts that one system, and it's only good until you recycle power on the radio and everything goes back to auto.

Bottom line, if you are not getting it well on auto, improve antenna or radio placement. In other words, improve the signal. That will do a lot more than messing with these settings.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

KE0GXN

Yeah, that's what I have been doing. Mostly antenna placement right now. Have found some sweet spots in the house, but without the Extreme upgrade (RF plot) its been by trial and error....and then to top it off, sometimes a sweet spot will only last for an hour or so, then I start losing bars and have to readjust....kind of confusing/frustrating :(

Which has me wondering if the Extreme upgrade will help any in the end?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.