Hytera Enters the North American Amateur Radio Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm

I know 2 hams in Salem Oregon who had the UHF MODELS from Giga Junk and after exhausting attempts to gain access to the local 442.750 dmr pos box with no luck, not to mention that one poor sucker had the antenna break off on 1 radio while the other ham had a battery that wouldn't charge not to mention that the chargers on both get hot and smell of burning silicon pass transistors.

I certainly wouldn't want a fast charging issue to occur like Samsung's Galaxy 7 fiasco when the radio is left in its charger unattended.

I held one briefly and wasn't impressed enough to waste one cent on one because the radio case and overall feel is an order of magnitude lower than even a product of MFJ quality, it is so flimsy that one would want to get a rubber wrap around case to feel secure with this Chicom crap.

Squeezing the radio lightly makes a crunching noise that worried me that the internal circuit boards are simply floating around inside the cheap case.

After not being able to get access to the local dmr box and the quality issues above, both sent their radios back and went over to using some local Yahoo System Confusion crap.

N4KVE

The only similarities is the FW, & CPS. The small companies don't have the resources to write their own software, so they all deal with the same consulting group. CoValue who makes the Connect Systems radios also used to deal with this group, but at the urging of CS found a different consulting group to design their CPS to be more ham friendly. Of course Hytera is big enough that they write their own CPS. But each company makes their own hardware.

mm

WTF OTTO is so laughable about someones opinion of Hytera crap.

It's on laughable thinking about the poor hams who waste money on this Chicom crap.

I don't have any dmr, any System confusion or anything except for Motorola anymore and neither do the 2 nearby Solame hams, were all motorola.

They were the locals who had some POS Gigacrap HYTERA HT'S.

They wanted me to look at the HYTERA HT'S in my ENViro-chamber at work but I refused to let that Chicom junk near my Keysight equipment.

JUST from holding their radios it was apparent that they were Total junk compared to my XTS/XTL radios but of course but that's comparing Moto to Chicom crap.

I did offer to drop both out of our AS350 HELICOPTER over Detroit Lakes but they both declined and decided to return them for refunds.

Skeet shooting at the Range in Albany was another thing that came to mind with the Hytera crap.

As for getting me on the air, I mainly operate 50Meg or 21Meg cw and rarely We use the 146.96 mixed mode in text mode with 2 other Solame hams.

mm

No not TYT. They were gigaparts Hytera ht's that are now sold out. They felt like Boefengs to me and when you held the radios to tight the case made a crunching
Grinding sound as if the circuit board was unattached internally. You get what you pay for when you buy anything made in China.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
He has to be talking about TYT or Tytera stuff.

Hytera sells good commercial grade equipment. I own a Hytera PD682G and PD782Gu2 and both are great radios, no where near cheap chinese junk.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have one of the first Hytera dmr radios to be sold in the US. Due to the reasonable availability and price of the firmware and CPS, it is right up to date with current models and has FPP. It is as well constructed as any of my Motorolas I also have the CS750 and CS580. Time will tell about their durability, and Jerry has been a reliable contact and support source.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the subject of the thread is the Hytera DMR radios being marketed towards amateur radio. Please stay on topic.

mm

Otto, others

sorry for being such an a-hole in reference to my friends and my Oregon DMR experience, when I get back to the PNW I'll' contact the 2 hams in Salem and get the dmr issues straightened out as to what equipment I briefly saw, if it was TYT or HYTERA.

My problem is I'm a ex-motorola RF GUY and I guess I'll never be able to move away from Motorola equipment.

I'm sure if my friends had some Moto DMR equipment I would have been more receptive and not so nasty towards their chicom DMR radios.

I'm presently down in Phoenix having an ok time using a couple of the local P25 REPEATERS, so I'm not anti digital, I just can't shake my Motorola origins.

Otto

Otto, others

sorry for being such an a-hole in reference to my friends and my Oregon DMR experience, when I get back to the PNW I'll' contact the 2 hams in Salem and get the dmr issues straightened out as to what equipment I briefly saw, if it was TYT or HYTERA.

My problem is I'm a ex-motorola RF GUY and I guess I'll never be able to move away from Motorola equipment.

I'm sure if my friends had some Moto DMR equipment I would have been more receptive and not so nasty towards their chicom DMR radios.

I'm presently down in Phoenix having an ok time using a couple of the local P25 REPEATERS, so I'm not anti digital, I just can't shake my Motorola origins.

It's all good mm. I was LOL at the content and manner of your post, not at the plight of Salem Hams that own the radios.

Yahoo system confusion!!

And for what it's worth, I'm not on DMR either. I use System confusion occasionally, but prefer my Kenwood Commercial radios, which are FM, so I've got no skin in the game.

KE0CLC

I just purchased one of the PD782 radios from gigaparts.com, so I won't know about quality until I've used it for a while. With that said, how do I locate the CPS software..? I sent an email to gigaparts.com, but I haven't heard anything back from them.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
From the prices listed on Gigaparts, those should be the commercial versions. I have both the VHF and UHF PD782 radios and the PD362, and they were in the same price range when I bought them before Gigaparts carried them.

KE0CLC

So I feel like an idiot. I finally found the download link at the very bottom of the page. I don't know what made me think it would be in the actual menu at the top.

FAQ:

Q. Where can I download programming software?

A. Programming software can be downloaded at www.gigaparts.com/downloads

This radio can be enabled for wideband FM and front panel programmability if it is purchased by a licensed amateur operator. After you purchase the radio, send an email to sales@gigaparts.com requesting this feature and we will email a program to you that will allow the Hytera CPS software on your computer to enable those features for your serial number. This process is controlled by the radio’s model number and serial number and only works on Hytera radios sold by GigaParts. Please provide your amateur radio call sign in the email request.

As far as the initial impression of the radio out of the box - it's nice, but the PTT is very light and very sensitive.

broonzbane

As far as the initial impression of the radio out of the box - it's nice, but the PTT is very light and very sensitive.

The same is true of my XPR7550. Remember that these are commercial radios first and foremost. End users may work in dangerous environments and/or emergency situations. The manufacturer is therefore going to err on the side of making it easier to transmit, not more difficult. :)

KE0CLC

End users may work in dangerous environments and/or emergency situations. The manufacturer is therefore going to err on the side of making it easier to transmit, not more difficult. :)

I would be one of those end users in a dangerous environment and I can tell you that is the exact opposite of the manufacturers desires for a commercial radio, I don't want my radio to key up UNLESS the PTT button is actually pressed by me. My Kenwood TK-5210, HT1250 and every other radio I've had over 24 years has always had a firm PTT button.

The button on the Hytera is best described as "mushy" and it doesn't take much of a press to activate. Again... this is just my first impression of the radio that I just took out of the box a few hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.