ICI Trunked System - Posts your new findings here!

glradio

Premium Subscriber
hotdjdave said:
You are correct. But the way I have the ICIS programmed in my Uniden BCD396T could not do this. I have all the CC frequencies in one system. I have only one ICIS system in my scanner.

Ah yes, good point.

RobertW1

hotdjdave said:
Here are coverage maps of the ICIS Cell Radio Coverage.

What? No Burbank Cell Coverage Map?

Also, somebody, somewhere on the forum said something about Burbank "standing down" or something like that as to the new frequencies they had applied for to add to the ICIS system. Are they no longer planning on adding frequencies to their Burbank Cell?

Last edited:

RobertW1

karldotcom said:
Last week I almost posted the 106 TGs I had for ICIS.....but thought I shouldnt because it had my notes, and not confirmations. All I know is that the system has outgrown my 100 TG bank in my 296D....

Do you have all the control channels and freqs for the different cells programmed into the same bank?

glradio

Premium Subscriber
RobertW1 said:
What? No Burbank Cell Coverage Map?

Also, somebody, somewhere on the forum said something about Burbank "standing down" or something like that as to the new frequencies they had applied for to add to the ICIS system. Are they no longer planning on adding frequencies to their Burbank Cell?

The coverage maps were taken from one of my early presentations (probably from the OES/SIEC website), and I didn't have a map for Burbank at that time.

Check the FCC database, you'll find Burbank is licensed on more channels than they're currently using. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that means.

karldotcom

Some new TG activity in Burbank

Just heard 35814 on the Burbank Cell talking with a "Control 8" I believe that is the Burbank Public Works dispatcher, but will keep monitoring...

35264 talking about a "severe leak" Could be BWP

65456 is doing ten counts

RobertW1

Over the past couple of days I've been hearing "Trunking traffic" on the old Burbank PSD "power department" Frequency: 470.3250, including normal Burbank Police (including encrypted and digital transmissions) and Bob Hope Airport talk groups. The signal is not as strong as it appears on the normal ICIS frequencies. This frequency appears to be simulcasting other trunking freqs as the conversation is also heard on a normal Burbank Cell ICIS frequencies.

What does this mean? Is 470.3250 going to become part of the Burbank ICIS Cell trunking frequencies?

Last edited:

karldotcom

I noticed that frequency trunking sometime this week....when I noticed the new TGs.

There is at least one BWP group, and a Animal Control Tac channel...not sure what descriptions they have given them, but the Animal Control channel deals with a lot of road kills. I am resisting entering BPD Road Kill as my channel description.

I will do some ID Tracker and recording this week to try to figure them all out.

also, 155.655 the old Bob Hope PD dispatch channel is used by the crews fixing the runways, who work at night.

RobertW1

karldotcom said:
Just heard 35814 on the Burbank Cell talking with a "Control 8" I believe that is the Burbank Public Works dispatcher, but will keep monitoring...

I believe it was a typo, but 35184 is "Control 8"

35280 is Burbank PSD Power department. This talkgroup is digital. And as mentioned above, 470.3250 is definately part of the Burbank trunking frequencies and needs to be added to the database.

RobertW1

I'm curious as to if anybody knows why a city would use "digital" for some talkgroups but "Analog" for others and "encryption" for some and not for others. Why not just use digital, or encrypted digital across the board.

i.e., Burbank is going to digital for many of the newer talkgroups being added such as BWP and the Magnolia Plant. The police radios are obviously capable of digital encryption as they use this when going to the encrypted "Records" channel.

Glendale's Police Tac channels are all digital, but their Dispatch channel is Analog.

While I'm glad they haven't gone encryption, why not just use it across the board, as the ICIS radio system is obviously capable of it.

Does it have something to do with cost? Again, the radios seem to be already equiped to handle it. Why the lack of standardization within an agency or city?

Last edited:

selgaran

RobertW1 said:
I'm curious as to if anybody knows why a city would use "digital" for some talkgroups but "Analog" for others and "encryption" for some and not for others. Why not just use digital, or encrypted digital across the board.

Digital capable radios cost more than analog only radios.

An agency may have legacy analog radio equipment that is perfectly good, and don't want to replace at this time.

An agency might have all new, all digital radio equipment, but might want to allow a neighboring agency with analog-only radios access to their talkgroups.

...and there's probably several other perfectly reasonable explanations.

glradio

Premium Subscriber
We kept dispatch analog to give our users time to get used to the very different operating characteristics of digital signals and the sound of digital audio.

chet-

Bob Hope Fire?

I believe that Bob Hope Airport Fire is not on ICIS. Does anyone have those talkgroups?

Also Airport Operations talkgroups, as the ones I have seen in the lists are quiet.

Thanks

karldotcom

some Burbank adds:

Interagency Communications Interoperability (ICIS) -- Los Angeles County, California

add 471.0500 to Burbank ICIS system...

(formerly used as transit channel....now those users are on ICIS)

add 35136 D Burbank Bus
add 35056 D BWP Power

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Database Updated; Comments/Confirmation?

Database updated. Comments or confirmations, anyone?

karldotcom said:
Interagency Communications Interoperability (ICIS) -- Los Angeles County, California

add 471.0500 to Burbank ICIS system...

(formerly used as transit channel....now those users are on ICIS)

add 35136 D Burbank Bus
add 35056 D BWP Power

brandon

Database Admin
Looks like Montebello is now on the ICIS. Here is a c/p message posted to SoCalScan by Robert Patin

--- Original Message ---

im hearing montebelo pd on their icis freq tg 5712,,,,,confirmed im hearing
them still on both icis and their reg freq 482.2125

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Unknown if it is digital or analog I cannot pick that up from here.

karldotcom

Bob Hope Airport Fire heading to ICIS

11/6/06

Award of Purchase Order for
Airport Fire Department Radio Upgrade/Equipment Acquisition

Staff Report Attached [See Page 6]

The Airport Authority's Public Safety Department is currently
transitioning to ICIS ("Interagency Communications Interoperability
System") for public safety communications. To meet the interoperability
requirements it will be necessary to purchase new Motorola radios that
operate on the narrowband, ultra high frequency ("UHF") ICIS. The
proposed new radios will replace existing Fire Department VHF radios
and will meet the mutual aid and interoperability requirements for the
Airport Fire Department. The Authority's purchasing policies permit
the acquisition of equipment using existing competitively bid contracts
by other public agencies, and Staff has received a proposal that is part of
the Los Angeles County Contract #40856 which satisfies this competitive
bid requirement. A total of 12 portable radios at a cost of $4,314.25
each are necessary for firefighter use and to permit a sufficient number
of spare radios for repairs and special fire protection details. It will also
be necessary to replace the mobile radios that are installed in the Airport
Fire Department apparatus with 10 new UHF mobile Motorola radios at
a price of $3,751.01 per radio, including accessories. This project is
included in the FY 2006–2007 budget.
It is Staff's recommendation that the Committee recommend to the full
Authority approval of the purchase of 12 Motorola XTS5000 UHF
portable radios and 10 Motorola STL5000 UHF mobile radios to meet
the mutual aid communications interoperability requirement for public
safety in the total amount of $89,281.10 through the County of
Los Angeles Contract #40856.

chet- said:
I believe that Bob Hope Airport Fire is not on ICIS. Does anyone have those talkgroups?
Thanks

RobertW1

karldotcom said:
11/6/06

Award of Purchase Order for
Airport Fire Department Radio Upgrade/Equipment Acquisition

Staff Report Attached [See Page 6]

The Airport Authority's Public Safety Department is currently
transitioning to ICIS ("Interagency Communications Interoperability
System") for public safety communications.

How are those radios going to work with Verdugo Fire? Verdugo is not utilizing ICIS and Airport Fire is typically dispatched by Verdugo along with Burbank Fire.