Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The ISICS Board meeting held in August mentions the Derecho effects on the radio system. Mostly power problems that were handled by backup generators, and some MW dish alignments. The system did switch to its backup cores during the event. Starts at about 39:50 into the YouTube recording:

MCWKen

Futurecom DVRS are used in the Maryland statewide system in the mountainous western part of the state. The mobile repeaters can be activated either by the control head inside the vehicle or remotely by the portable subscriber. It will be interesting to see any engineering for a local enhancement for Clinton.

Is that akin to what ISP uses in areas of poor or no signal from the current towers?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Futurecom DVRS box is installed typically in vehicles. It allows portable subscribers to use the mobile radio installation in a vehicle to leverage its more powerful transmitter / better antenna for improved talkback / talkin performance to the system infrastructure. It also has a local repeat mode which turns the mobile into a mini site.

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Sorry for derailing the current topic here but I think I have a few new TGIDs... one is 369 on the Des Moines/Westcom site, I think for Westcom. I was only able to hear it being identified as Channel 4 by UIDs 4054, 4067, and dispatch. The other is TGID 18519 on the Woodward/Ames site, and I think it has something to do with waste/garbage/refuse - maybe the landfill? I've attached recordings from Proscan but it's not a whole lot to work off of.

Attachments

• 18519.zip
    300.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 369.zip
    285.8 KB · Views: 0

MCWKen

Clinton was going to convert existing systems to Digital.... The storm forced their hand with the Radio Tower coming down... ISICS has 2 mobile sites in town now one is on 13th Ave.... When I was told by a reliable source (911 Board Member) they were switching to it i raised concern with Portable coverage I was told a plan was in place for that as well with Future Com Mobile Repeaters ..... Equipment has been slow to arrive for this and appears may take longer than first anticipated.
I got a hit on two frequencies.

13th Ave North is 774.86875, showing site 01 (WACN-BEE00; System 4C9).

I got a hit on 769.88125, however the signal throughout town is low or non-existent, and no data found.

Below the bluff, the signal is poor and spotty outside on the portable (Uniden BCD325P2 - really poor radio to begin with), however using a SCR inside the house, the signal was pretty good (s-6).

I will continue to monitor both.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The September ISICS Board meeting mentions the situation in Clinton starting about 44:25

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I got a hit on 769.88125, however the signal throughout town is low or non-existent, and no data found.
Below the bluff, the signal is poor and spotty outside on the portable (Uniden BCD325P2 - really poor radio to begin with), however using a SCR inside the house, the signal was pretty good (s-6).

I have 774.86875 in unitrunker as 1-100. Which I believe this is the State Patrol "Site on Wheels" that was mentioned in the video. I see it listed in the database as "Dubuque?" along with 769.88125. So I would say we need a bit of research on this. I have noticed it in the peer list for Muscatine/Scott site since early July.

Last edited:

flhays

Premium Subscriber
Is there any information about the new radio system? I don't see anything separate from the state system. I am wondering if I will have to reprogram my scanner some how when the switch is made to the new system, in October I think.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
What new system - just confirming that you're talking about the ISICS simulcast in the Des Moines Metro? In the past it was just referred to as the Westcom simulcast. If that is what you mean the data is correct in the database as site number 2. The simulcast has been live for sometime. The comments above are just mainly talking about sites being added as well as channel capacity. Seems like these additions are because of Des Moines joining the system.

You can add the additional channels and add additional talkgroups or scan for new talkgroups on your scanner depending on how it works.

patmcc24

WRTA578
Feed Provider

Nice work.... I will go mobile this week see if i can find anything with my SDR's or maybe just point the YAGI that way Savanna isn't too far.

patmcc24

WRTA578
Feed Provider
I have 774.86875 in unitrunker as 1-100. Which I believe this is the State Patrol "Site on Wheels" that was mentioned in the video. I see it listed in the database as "Dubuque?" along with 769.88125. So I would say we need a bit of research on this. I have noticed it in the peer list for Muscatine/Scott site since early July.
it is definitely parked on 13th Ave North

richwig

DMPD Dispatch was patched over from UHF to 48915 last week but not seeing it now. Seeing some activity on 49172 (Public Works) right now.

edit...just seeing traffic again on 48915. Not listening, just watching the boatbod web display on my OP25 Pi.

Last edited:

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Sub-Regional Talkgroups Update: Operations Chair Bischof reports that the Des Moines Police Department will go live at the end of October 2020, and the Des Moines Fire Department will go live on the first of December 2020. The target date for other Des Moines Metro agencies to go live with the Sub-Regional talkgroups is the end of the calendar year 2020.

Page 6 https://isicsb.iowa.gov/sites/defau..._isicsb_meeting_minutes_draft_cm_reviewed.pdf

patmcc24

WRTA578
Feed Provider
Clinton PD was doing Signal Radio checks on TGID's 23501 & 23504 from multiple locations and buildings and several Officers on radio.... over 150 hit's on 23501.... and 39 hits on 23504

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Clinton PD was doing Signal Radio checks on TGID's 23501 & 23504 from multiple locations and buildings and several Officers on radio.... over 150 hit's on 23501.... and 39 hits on 23504

Does Clinton still have a COPS program? I worked with two women who were in it along with their Dad who in command of COPS. That was back around 1980.

patmcc24

WRTA578
Feed Provider
Does Clinton still have a COPS program? I worked with two women who were in it along with their Dad who in command of COPS. That was back around 1980.
Yes I believe they do.... some local people have posted about attending a class led by the Clinton PD sorta a Neighbor Watch program I think