BCD160DN/BCD260DN: Is this a new Uniden model? BCD260DN

Trucker700

I expect static etc on a weak, analog AM signal. But, on strong signals, it shouldn't be there at all or at the very least, barely noticeable. As I mentioned, my 780 which is all analog, has very clean audio on AM on all but the weakest signals. I imagine it is the difference in design that makes the difference in how clean the audio is. Plus, the small speaker in the 436hp probably contributes to the issue.
Thanks for responding.
James

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Plus, the small speaker in the 436hp probably contributes to the issue.

Plug in an external speaker. That's what I do when I throw my BCD996 into the car for road trips. I can place it in a better position pointing toward my ears, unlike the scanner. MUCH better sound, especially with a portable driving it.

Trucker700

Plug in an external speaker. That's what I do when I throw my BCD996 into the car for road trips. I can place it in a better position pointing toward my ears, unlike the scanner. MUCH better sound, especially with a portable driving it.
That's probably what I will end up doing. I have a Uniden amplified speaker that I used in the 18 wheeler I drove for many years before retiring. It worked really well over the loud Cat engine.
James

Trucker700

There is a used BCD160DN in the classifieds right now for a good price if any holdouts are looking to get one.
Just snagged it. I will be interested in how well it compares to my other handheld scanners on Civil Airband and Military Airband. My 436hp and SDS100 both do pretty good. But, I have compared them to the 780 and a couple of other radios I have. My SDR dongle using SDR# is faster than them. But, not portable within reason.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the 160DN.
James

blackbelter

Are there any suggestions for a low profile true and tested 160DN AC /USB external cable and charger ( without batteries inside). I use my 160 as a base unit so frequent changing the batteries is not ideal . Uniden does not carry it . I find the supplied USB cable too stiff for my monitoring area.
Thanks in advance .

Last edited:

bearcatrp

I posted earlier in this thread somewhere that I use a external USB battery with the cord I use web site. Works great. Get about 24 hours of scanning. Buy 2 to swap as it takes around 4 hours to recharge when its almost dead. If you need a case for both, I also posted that a older army ammo pouch fits both radio and battery.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
436 :
internal Speaker - 360mW nominal
(24ohm).

160 DN:
Internal speaker:
218 mW for NFM
245 mW FMB,WFM bands
240 mW AM band.

It appears that 436 has a larger and or robust speaker.
That's it?? That's as bad as early Icom ht's that you couldn't hear lying on the seat of the car. Remember the 02AT? Pass.

blackbelter

In addition to above @buddrousa post, I have used the volume offset feature to increase the volume on my three DMR and NXDN frequencies that I monitor. No issue with volume output @ level 6.
All of the monitoring are within my QTH.

Trucker700

Just received the BCD160DN earlier this afternoon. So far, just using the Service Search on Airband, and using a Diamond RH77CA antenna, it doesn't receive as well as my BCD436HP does using the same antenna. Using the supplied antenna it was worse. This initial test was indoors. I will take it outside later on and see if it improves.
Not a good start. But, it could be pilot error too.
James

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Just received the BCD160DN earlier this afternoon. So far, just using the Service Search on Airband, and using a Diamond RH77CA antenna, it doesn't receive as well as my BCD436HP does using the same antenna. Using the supplied antenna it was worse. This initial test was indoors. I will take it outside later on and see if it improves.
Not a good start. But, it could be pilot error too.
James

I'm leaning that way with my 260DN, but I have barely used it for anything useful yet.

I wish my buddy still had his service monitor so I could put some numbers to it.

Trucker700

I couldn't wait till tomorrow morning. Took the radio outside using the same antenna and it was night and day difference! Airband just came alive with tons of signals. Clea,crisp audio, just what I was hoping for. Something in my radio room ( probably the computer and monitor) was causing the radio to miss a lot of signals.
Much happier now!
James

Trucker700

I couldn't wait till tomorrow morning. Took the radio outside using the same antenna and it was night and day difference! Airband just came alive with tons of signals. Clear,crisp audio, just what I was hoping for. Something in my radio room ( probably the computer and monitor) was causing the radio to miss a lot of signals.
Much happier now!
James

Ubbe

Something in my radio room ( probably the computer and monitor) was causing the radio to miss a lot of signals.
It seems to relate to some other user reports that it overloads too easily and then desense. It's like many Icom scanners that are super sensitive but if you have interferencies they will fail miserably. Your more expensive 436 have a better receiver that can cope with your indoor RF environment. In some circumstances a high sensitivity receiver works fine but at other times a less sensitive receiver but better at strong signal handling will hear more.

/Ubbe

Trucker700

I believe you have pretty much nailed it. This radio works great outdoors. But, inside, not so well. I can see where Railfans will be happy with this radio.
And for a portable Airband receiver for outdoors, it is really good.
This makes me wonder if the 260DN being a base/mobile unit will do better inside than the 160?
As an experiment, I hooked the 160DN to my doublet that is up about 35 feet. No interference noticed and good reception. (Used a BNC to PL259 adapter to my coax) So, in a pinch, it can work indoors with an outside antenna.
And the scanning is fast! Even just using Service Search.
Overall, this is a good scanner for it's targeted user group.
James