BCD160DN/BCD260DN: Is this a new Uniden model? BCD260DN

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
An outdoor antenna is ALWAYS better than an indoor antenna. Better coaxial cable is better than cheap stuff with minimal shield braid. Fewer connectors present less loss than lots of connectors and adapters. It all adds up.

There are many sources of computer-generated RF noise inside, not just your computer and Ethernet switch/router. Any TV or monitor has a CPU that emits RF noise. Your Roku box is a linux computer. Probably your modern refrigerator and range/oven, too. The list goes on and on.

If you get an SDR dongle and run SDRsharp you can see all the crapola that is polluting your local RF spectrum. A higher noise floor means any receiver will have trouble picking up weak signals, it doesn't matter how good the receiver is. Stack all the cards in your favor and you'll hear more.

Trucker700

The more I play with the BCD160DN the more I like it. It is definitely a good scanner for outdoor use. Easy to read display and very sensitive receiver.
With the same antenna ( telescoping) on it and my BCD436HP, and standing in the same spot, the BCD160DN hears clearer a few things the BCD436HP doesn't quite pick up as well. With the 436hp I can barely hear the tower from an airport 15 miles away. On the 160DN, it is clear ( understandable) and slightly stronger than on the 436hp.
Overall, the audio on good signals is quite clear. The 436hp has good audio as well. So, a tie on audio quality.
The only downside as I have noted in a previous post is the BCD160DN cannot handle interference that can be found in one's home as well as my BCD436HP can. It will work fine indoors connected to an outside antenna. But, with the included antenna or an aftermarket antenna it will have problems.
James

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
How come Whistler allowed decoding and tracking on DMR & NXDN conventional systems with their TRX-1 & 2 but Uniden doesn't? With DMR, more than several people can use one channel at a time since it's TDMA, which makes it even more complex to track than NXDN. I don't know why uniden would scrap this feature on these scanners.

Trucker700

How come Whistler allowed decoding and tracking on DMR & NXDN conventional systems with their TRX-1 & 2 but Uniden doesn't? With DMR, more than several people can use one channel at a time since it's TDMA, which makes it even more complex to track than NXDN. I don't know why uniden would scrap this feature on these scanners.
The BCD160DN and BCD260DN are not intended to do any sort of tracking. In all the advertisements for the radios, it is made clear that they do not do any type of tracking. It's even printed on box in bold letters.
For that feature, one needs to purchase a different scanner.
James

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I understood the question. This is the Uniden Tavern, after all.

I think the answer is what Trucker700 said - they don't because they weren't intended to.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
It might have been asked and answered already, but after 63 pages.....

what receiver design is this radio, is it based on the superheterodyne of the 325/996 or SDR like the SDS 100/200?

blackbelter

The service searches are not flexible, I spoke with Joe Bearcat about some of the options that would be helpful.

You can’t change the service search modulation, ie if it’s NFM that’s it, no DMR or NXDN decoding. An auto function would help. Especially for the AAR splinter channels that will go NXDN. This is the BCD160DN, it may or may not apply to the 260.
While in search mode , I also noticed some missing and un decoded DMR/NXDN frequencies in my 160DN.

Trucker700

I believe you can do a custom search and set the modulation there.
I hope they add an option to set the modulation to whatever one wants. Or an Auto modulation search as N4JDC suggested. But, that could slow scanning down some, in the Service Search.
James

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Mine came a couple weeks ago with v1.01.00

Uniden web site shows nothing for the BCD260DN, other than PDF manuals.

What version are you thinking is the latest? TNX.

RMason

Premium Subscriber

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Welp, it would be awfully nice if Uniden could decide on a consistent place for this stuff so we didn't have to go on a 3-state search for it. The software download tool on their main web site turns up nothing, which is where I looked naturally.

Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Welp, it would be awfully nice if Uniden could decide on a consistent place for this stuff so we didn't have to go on a 3-state search for it. The software download tool on their main web site turns up nothing, which is where I looked naturally.

Thanks.

The Uniden webpage for the BCD260DN shows the BC VUP firmware updater in the "Downloads" tab. That update loader will update your scanner to the latest version.

bcvup.jpg

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Wonderful.

What they don't tell you there is that you *do not* need to go find the actual firmware file, the updater does that internally. Had I known that I could've saved some time.