BCD160DN/BCD260DN: Is this a new Uniden model? BCD260DN

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the Railroad service search decodes NXDN when received on the Split Channels? I have no way of testing.

Looking at the manual deeper, the service search modulation can’t be changed, so I suppose the answer is no. Not very useful for future NXDN rail changes. Hopefully some software changes are updated to allow the modulation to be changed.

blackbelter

On my upcoming 160 DN , I will be monitoring a small conventional DMR system with 2 slots . Would I need to allocate 2 different channels with each slot to monitor this system or perhaps the scanner would decode with each slot and talk group on one channel ?
Thanks in advance ,

Last edited:

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
On my upcoming 160 DN , I will be monitoring a small conventional DMR system with 2 slots . Would I need to allocate 2 different channels with each slot to monitor this system or perhaps the scanner would decode with each slot and talk group on one channel ?
Thanks in advance ,

The DMR section only allows you to pick a color code. You will receive both slots by default. NXDN allows you to pick Area 0 or 1, and the RAN

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Note of interest when you do a service search and have it in the (CTCSS/DCS) mode it will not decode (NXDN/DMR) vice/versa when you put it into (NXDN/DCS.at least on my 260N ???

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Note of interest when you do a service search and have it in the (CTCSS/DCS) mode it will not decode (NXDN/DMR) vice/versa when you put it into (NXDN/DCS.at least on my 260N ???

The service searches are not flexible, I spoke with Joe Bearcat about some of the options that would be helpful.

You can’t change the service search modulation, ie if it’s NFM that’s it, no DMR or NXDN decoding. An auto function would help. Especially for the AAR splinter channels that will go NXDN. This is the BCD160DN, it may or may not apply to the 260.

blackbelter

Per Uniden programing standards, the free supplied programing software allows the user to assign +/- volume offsets for select frequencies. I am planning on using that feature with any frequency which may need more volume in a noisy environments.

Last edited:

blackbelter

Just received my 160DN. This scanner is by far the most easiest to program. I used the supplied software and literally inside 10 minutes I had the entire my now sold 125AT file ( 212 frequencies) as well as other customize settings transferred and stored. DMR , NXDN as well the local airport , bridges ,marine and ports sounds great . All of my monitoring are indoor using a Watson W901 as well as the Diamond RH77CA antennas.
Thus far the scanner meets my expectations.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Folks it would be most helpful if undocumented tips (like these scanners detect but don't decode P25) and issues were documented in our wiki. That way if the subject comes up again some time down the road, you can point to this list as having been documented already...also if Joe bearcat is reading this thread it would be convenient to have only 2 places to look for these, not 61 pages of threads (as of this writing)...

Mike

Last edited:

bearcatrp

2 things that would have made this scanner a top notch scanner. Close call and recording to a sd card. Would have paid more if these options were included. Can close call be done by a firmware update?

Trucker700

I have been using a BCD436HP quite a bit in my pickup for Civil Airband and Military Air. I have noticed the audio isn't as good with the internal speaker. I have been thinking about replacing the 436 with a 160DN.
The one thing I really like about the 436hp is having a GPS module hooked up for when I drive out of town. ( not a fan of all the wiring needed)
Has anyone compared the audio of the 160DN to a 436hp? ( using just the internal speaker)
James

bearcatrp

I have been using a BCD436HP quite a bit in my pickup for Civil Airband and Military Air. I have noticed the audio isn't as good with the internal speaker. I have been thinking about replacing the 436 with a 160DN.
The one thing I really like about the 436hp is having a GPS module hooked up for when I drive out of town. ( not a fan of all the wiring needed)
Has anyone compared the audio of the 160DN to a 436hp? ( using just the internal speaker)
James
Get the 160 for air band and use the 436 for other things. Simple.

JCar24

Premium Subscriber
2 things that would have made this scanner a top notch scanner. Close call and recording to a sd card. Would have paid more if these options were included. Can close call be done by a firmware update?
Maybe Joe Bearcat can tell us if the Close Call feature could be added with a firmware update.

blackbelter

James
436 :
internal Speaker - 360mW nominal
(24ohm).

160 DN:
Internal speaker:
218 mW for NFM
245 mW FMB,WFM bands
240 mW AM band.

It appears that 436 has a larger and or robust speaker.

Trucker700

436 :
internal Speaker - 360mW nominal
(24ohm).

160 DN:
Internal speaker:
218 mW for NFM
245 mW FMB,WFM bands
240 mW AM band.

It appears that 436 has a larger and or robust speaker.
It's odd that the audio output would be different for each mode like that on the 160DN. My 436hp is pretty loud and being in a small cab of my pickup, it is easy to hear. When I drove an 18 wheeler, I had to add a Uniden powered speaker to the 436hp and later on, a SDS100 to get audio loud enough to hear over the loud CAT diesel engine.
My concern is how clear the audio is compared to the 436hp. There always seems to be a bit of static in the 436hp audio no matter how strong the signal is. I have an old 780 that the audio sounds almost like FM even in AM mode.
James