Jackson County Radio system upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebuff880

NO !!!!! 2018 is a date the FCC is considering there is no mandate ATT !

http://www.info4u.us/Narrowband_FAQs.pdf

Question: What’s the deal with this VNB thing?

Answer: All manufacturers will be required to produce only equipment capable of operating at 6.25 kHz beginning in 2011. It would be wise to select equipment that meets this criteria now since this will be the new manufacturing technical standard. However, we should point out there is NO date certain for a licensee to go to 6.25 kHz emission. The only user mandate at this time is to cease all operations on 25 kHz by January 1, 2013

AND ---------------

Communications FAQ's.

Question - What about those dates you mentioned earlier - 2011 - 2013 and 2018?

Answer - 2013 is when ALL users must convert to narrow band, and 2018 is the proposed date for conversion to Very Narrow Band (VNB). The Catch 22 is that 2011 is when ALL manufacturers must offer VNB 6.25 kHz equipment. VNB equipment also meets narrow band operating standards. Based on this information, the logical conclusion is that any equipment purchased today should be capable of meeting 25, 12.5 and 6.25 kHz operating standards or at least be adaptable as required (P25 is a work in progress designed from the beginning for technology upgrades. NXDN meets the proposed 2018 standards now. MotoTRBO is designed specifically for two slot 12.5 kHz operation with no known upgrade program for single channel 6.25 kHz operation. Click here for more information on narrow band standards.

VNB (very narrow banding ie 6.25 khz spacing) is 2018..

radiofan1

NO !!!!! 2018 is a date the FCC is considering there is no mandate ATT !

http://www.info4u.us/Narrowband_FAQs.pdf

Question: What’s the deal with this VNB thing?

Answer: All manufacturers will be required to produce only equipment capable of operating at 6.25 kHz beginning in 2011. It would be wise to select equipment that meets this criteria now since this will be the new manufacturing technical standard. However, we should point out there is NO date certain for a licensee to go to 6.25 kHz emission. The only user mandate at this time is to cease all operations on 25 kHz by January 1, 2013

AND ---------------

Communications FAQ's.

Question - What about those dates you mentioned earlier - 2011 - 2013 and 2018?

Answer - 2013 is when ALL users must convert to narrow band, and 2018 is the proposed date for conversion to Very Narrow Band (VNB). The Catch 22 is that 2011 is when ALL manufacturers must offer VNB 6.25 kHz equipment. VNB equipment also meets narrow band operating standards. Based on this information, the logical conclusion is that any equipment purchased today should be capable of meeting 25, 12.5 and 6.25 kHz operating standards or at least be adaptable as required (P25 is a work in progress designed from the beginning for technology upgrades. NXDN meets the proposed 2018 standards now. MotoTRBO is designed specifically for two slot 12.5 kHz operation with no known upgrade program for single channel 6.25 kHz operation. Click here for more information on narrow band standards.

AGAIN---show me a link to a govt. website that says this---not a jackleg internet radio dealer website. Not EVEN credible.

Firebuff880

Okay,

Here is a link from the fcc web site Public Safety & Homeland Security Bureau (PSHSB) fit your needs ---

Page - 6

The Commission has declined, for the time being, to
establish a schedule for the further migration from 12.5
kHz to 6.25 kHz

Page - 4 Might explain some of the confusion --

Third MO&O (2004)
�� Delayed all 2nd R&O interim deadlines to January 1, 2011
�� Accelerated public safety narrowbanding deadline from January 1, 2018 to
January 1, 2013, consistent with the Industrial/Business deadline

http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/docs/public-safety-spectrum/General_Information_on_VHF-UHF_Narrowbanding.pdf

------------------------------------

AGAIN---show me a link to a govt. website that says this---not a jackleg internet radio dealer website. Not EVEN credible.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Ive been in public safety for a while not and I see it all the time. A bumbling sheriff or backwoods county commissioners who have no clue about anything other than how to turn the radio on and push the mic.
I worked in a county in south GA that switched to an all digital Motorola P25 system and the sheriff actually thought the media would no longer be able to listen. He was baffled when the newspaper called him one night and told him he would hear heavy narcotics traffic on what the sheriff thought was a "secure channel".
The sheriff then paid even more to have that talk group encrypted even though with the old VHF system we already had an encrypted narcotics channel which worked great county wide.
What he didn't purchase was the system which provides interoperability with surrounding counties, they are all still VHF and we have no way of talking unit to unit.
waste o money.
What would be nice is a statewide system so everyone could be uniform.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
Bingo ! You got it. Only difference is your staying on VHF and Jackson looks like there going UHF.
There intertwined and it's the same Moto salesman doing the pitch. The funny thing is that little Banks County outsmarted everyone and is doing a $25,000 software change and bringing radios into narrowband compliance.
Time will tell on how those whole issue works out.

Well living in Madison County with my Icom IC-F33g I guess I won't be able to monitor Jackson County anymore. Sad to seeing that Madison County backs them up frequently on mutual aid calls (so much for interop). To bad nobody will inform them with the correct info and that they are being misinformed. With this being said I don't think Madison County will upgrade anytime soon infact I think we are now on a narrow band system. Anyhow, when will banks be going narrowband I have not herd anything about this.

Premium Subscriber
Well living in Madison County with my Icom IC-F33g I guess I won't be able to monitor Jackson County anymore. Sad to seeing that Madison County backs them up frequently on mutual aid calls (so much for interop). To bad nobody will inform them with the correct info and that they are being misinformed. With this being said I don't think Madison County will upgrade anytime soon infact I think we are now on a narrow band system. Anyhow, when will banks be going narrowband I have not herd anything about this.

Banks has the money for switching to narrowband in there budget starting in July so just guessing but by fall there ready to go. Most of there radios where already narrowband compliant so they just have some reprograming and software upgrades which ran $90,000.
Jackson has already informed Banks and Madison about going Mototrbo and will work a patch through Motobridge.
Still looks like a go for a late 2010 early 2011 switch over.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
Banks has the money for switching to narrowband in there budget starting in July so just guessing but by fall there ready to go. Most of there radios where already narrowband compliant so they just have some reprograming and software upgrades which ran $90,000.
Jackson has already informed Banks and Madison about going Mototrbo and will work a patch through Motobridge.
Still looks like a go for a late 2010 early 2011 switch over.

Just curious, where do you get your information from? I moved here four years ago and am sorta in the dark with this kida info.

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, where do you get your information from? I moved here four years ago and am sorta in the dark with this kida info.

I have been involved in public safety in Jackson/Banks since 1994 when I moved into the area so I have several contacts.The Banks county radio info was in the paper about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. :D

N8IAA

So, Banks is staying VHF conventional with newer narrowbanded radios, and Jackson is going TRBO. Crazy stuff in N GA:roll:

Larry

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
I have been involved in public safety in Jackson/Banks since 1994 when I moved into the area so I have several contacts.The Banks county radio info was in the paper about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. :D

haha wow thats the year I was born. Just curious, what kid of system is jackson county using now like do they have a multi tower site and all now or what?

stevelton

Ive been in public safety for a while not and I see it all the time. A bumbling sheriff or backwoods county commissioners who have no clue about anything other than how to turn the radio on and push the mic.
I worked in a county in south GA that switched to an all digital Motorola P25 system and the sheriff actually thought the media would no longer be able to listen. He was baffled when the newspaper called him one night and told him he would hear heavy narcotics traffic on what the sheriff thought was a "secure channel".
The sheriff then paid even more to have that talk group encrypted even though with the old VHF system we already had an encrypted narcotics channel which worked great county wide.
What he didn't purchase was the system which provides interoperability with surrounding counties, they are all still VHF and we have no way of talking unit to unit.
waste o money.
What would be nice is a statewide system so everyone could be uniform.

And who is going to pay to get every law enforcment agency on this system?
In Illinois we have a statewide 700/800 P25 phase 1. As of now, the only regular users are state agencys, and a few of only the largest city police/county sheriff dept. My local city police are not going to pay $3000 per radio to get on this system, only then to pay $30 per month per radio to use it.
The state isnt going to pay for it, they already paid $25 million for the system, and are now broke. They have started buying Icom Idas radios, to get ready now to switch to that in the next 3-4 years.

Steven

country2

Hey I thank you for your info and updates on this. I have not been active here in a while due to work but once and a while will break out the scanner and relax. I live in Banks County city of Homer and heard about the upgrades but dang did not know this about about Jackson County...Looks like my scanning area is shrinking again.

Premium Subscriber
Hey I thank you for your info and updates on this. I have not been active here in a while due to work but once and a while will break out the scanner and relax. I live in Banks County city of Homer and heard about the upgrades but dang did not know this about about Jackson County...Looks like my scanning area is shrinking again.

Your welome. I should know more in July and update with dates for switch over. The only scannable channel left would be Fire Page 154.220 but all you will hear is the dispatch everything else will be on the digtal system.

N8IAA

haha wow thats the year I was born. Just curious, what kid of system is jackson county using now like do they have a multi tower site and all now or what?

Not a trunked system. It is MotoTRBO. Conventional VHF frequencies that use a digital format. They are still currently using their conventional VHF frequencies.
Larry

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
Not a trunked system. It is MotoTRBO. Conventional VHF frequencies that use a digital format. They are still currently using their conventional VHF frequencies.
Larry

I know that but they could use a voting system?

Premium Subscriber
I know that but they could use a voting system?
Using a voting system doesn't make it trunked...there doing that now with there VHF repeaters.(They have multi-towers)
Also it's possible as posted that there going to switch to 400mhz not stay VHF. Banks IS staying VHF Hi narrowband.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Generally, when speaking of 'systems', trunking is implied. Especially when multi tower sites are mentioned:)
Larry

JRayfield

VNB (very narrow banding ie 6.25 khz spacing) is 2018..

NOT true. There is NO mandate for what you call 'very narrow bandwidth'. The FCC has NOT set such a date.

After 1/1/2011, no one will be able to manufacture or import any radio that is capable of operating 'wideband' (25 khz). Only radios that operate at 12.5 khz or less will be legal to manufacture or import.

After 1/1/2011, the FCC will not issue any type cerfications for any new radios (that have not been type certified prior to 1/1/2011) if those radios do not have a 6.25 khz, or 6.25 khz equivalent, mode in them.

MotoTRBO (DMR) is considered 6.25 khz equivalent, as it provides 2 voice/data channels, at a rate of at least 4800 bps each, within 12.5 khz.

The cost of MotoTRBO radios is LESS than comparably-tiered analog-only radios (for example comparing them to the CDM and HT series radios). The repeaters are only slighly more than comparably-tiered analog-only repeaters, and when the fact that the repeater provides two 'talk channels' for that price, they actually cost less than analog-only repeaters. This means that an agency/company can install a MotoTRBO system for about the same, or less cost, as compared to an analog-only system (not including any microwave or other data network equipment to tie the repeaters together).

John Rayfield, Jr.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.