LAPD and FD callsigns

lavitc

Hey guys, I'm wondering what callsigns the LAFD and LAPD use for patrol units, Does LAFD use a 1-UNIT-00 system or? Also, what does 1 in front mean, what do the -00 numbers present? What does Lincoln, Adam, David mean?

Kingscup

Feed Provider
LAFD numbering is based on fire station numbering with some exceptions. Example: all primary apparatus out of fire station 9 will have a 9 associated with it. Engine 9 Rescue 9 Truck/Light Force/Task Force 9. Any secondary apparatus from the station will have the station number plus 200 i.e Engine 209 etc.. The paramedic rescue ambulances are the lower numbered ones (Rescue 9/209). The EMT rescue ambulances are in the 800/900 range i.e Rescue 809 out of station 9. There may be some discrepancies but this is generally the case. Others can add on to this if needed.

lavitc

LAFD numbering is based on fire station numbering with some exceptions. Example: all primary apparatus out of fire station 9 will have a 9 associated with it. Engine 9 Rescue 9 Truck/Light Force/Task Force 9. Any secondary apparatus from the station will have the station number plus 200 i.e Engine 209 etc.. The paramedic rescue ambulances are the lower numbered ones (Rescue 9/209). The EMT rescue ambulances are in the 800/900 range i.e Rescue 809 out of station 9. There may be some discrepancies but this is generally the case. Others can add on to this if needed.
So the radio callsign for Rescue Ambulance 209 would simply be RA-209, not 1-RA-209?

lavitc

FD call signs in CA will always be what apparatus it is plus the station number. FD doesn’t like using the PD way, clear txt only

Sorry for the late reply, lol, what would a Paramedic going on duty report on the radio?
I assume something as: "[PIN] Going status-1, in service as RA[Number]" ?

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the late reply, lol, what would a Paramedic going on duty report on the radio?
I assume something as: "[PIN] Going status-1, in service as RA[Number]"
No, it’s clear txt and we don’t go “in service” at the beginning of shift. The apparatus is always in service unless stated otherwise
Also, the personnel assigned to that unit aren’t going “in service” with the dispatch center
Whoever the dispatch center is doesn’t care about who’s on the rigs, just that they’re either in or out of service
You’re getting stuck with this PD mindset when it comes to the FD

lavitc

No, it’s clear txt and we don’t go “in service” at the beginning of shift. The apparatus is always in service unless stated otherwise
Also, the personnel assigned to that unit aren’t going “in service” with the dispatch center
Whoever the dispatch center is doesn’t care about who’s on the rigs, just that they’re either in or out of service
You’re getting stuck with this PD mindset when it comes to the FD
Well yeah, I'm not from the US so I wouldn't know, I'm just curious to figure out how that works, just generally going on duty or whatever

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Well yeah, I'm not from the US so I wouldn't know, I'm just curious to figure out how that works, just generally going on duty or whatever
We rarely hear individual user ID's on the LAFD system. Most of the time it's apparatus, ie, RA-74 (rescue ambulance) or Engine 74 (fire engine). At larger incidents, we may hear a battalion chief ie Battalion 12 or his boss, Division 3 or the ems equivalent, EMS 3.

On major incidents, such as multi-alarm fires, we may hear a high level chief by name on the radio. Chief Donald Anthony would arrive at an incident and inform OCD (what the dispatch center was called at the time), "Chief Anthony is on scene and in charge". As a news photographer, anytime I heard Chief Anthony or Chief Lucarelli on the radio, I paid very close attention to what was going on.

lavitc

We rarely hear individual user ID's on the LAFD system. Most of the time it's apparatus, ie, RA-74 (rescue ambulance) or Engine 74 (fire engine). At larger incidents, we may hear a battalion chief ie Battalion 12 or his boss, Division 3 or the ems equivalent, EMS 3.

On major incidents, such as multi-alarm fires, we may hear a high level chief by name on the radio. Chief Donald Anthony would arrive at an incident and inform OCD (what the dispatch center was called at the time), "Chief Anthony is on scene and in charge". As a news photographer, anytime I heard Chief Anthony or Chief Lucarelli on the radio, I paid very close attention to what was going on.
Ah, okay. I appreciate it brother, thank you!