LASD Dispatch channel beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all,

So I recently programmed LASD into my BCD325P2, and I feel like anytime a unit other than dispatch talks, it's a low beep. I can hear dispatch just fine, however when any unit talks, it's beeping. I've attached a recording to help y'all better understand what I'm talking about (Audio needs to be high as it was recorded with a bad mic)

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 0004 19-27 LOS ANGELES PD 0484.1625 CARS-CPT9.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 56

Baker845

That beep units talking. It been that way on LASD since 80's from what i have read. When there is a hot call they will patch repeaters in area of the call and you can hear the voice of officers talking, other wise when units talk, you hear beeping. I'm sure someone with better understanding of there system will jump on here, but i gave short basic answer, to help.

That beep units talking. It been that way on LASD since 80's from what i have read. When there is a hot call they will patch repeaters in area of the call and you can hear the voice of officers talking, other wise when units talk, you hear beeping. I'm sure someone with better understanding of there system will jump on here, but i gave short basic answer, to help.
So I have to be in the area of the call to hear the officers talking?

Found this..
"NOTE: Mobile traffic is not rebroadcasted over the output frequency of the dispatch channels. Instead, only a beeping tone is broadcast to signify to the field units that someone is talking. To monitor units in the field you must program in the input frequencies also. The corresponding L-TAC channel is included in brackets."

How would I add the input frequencies to the channel? I already have the input frequencies put in as their own frequencies, how would I connect them?

W6VVM

Living in Orange County (E), and LAPD’s reception being just a bit iffy at my house, South Bay going dark, etc. I find myself tuning into LA County more and more often when I feel like listening to law.

I have to say, I’ve been listing to LASD on and off since I was a little kid (25+ years) and the beeping always annoyed me enough to lose interest.

Only in the last few months have I come to realize the benefits (as a scanner listener). For instance, if I want to passively listen, say while working at my computer or around the house, I can scan every dispatch channel and completely tune it out mentally. When the dispatcher puts up the patch it’s like having my own personal screener there to tell me something worth listening to is happening. If I scanned every LAPD dispatch channel my scanner would never stop talking. I get that there are other nuances that make your ears perk up (urgent tone of voice, sirens, etc) but the busy tone makes it really easy to tune out and back in ultra-efficiently

My two cents. I’m sure it annoys the heck out of many listeners.

PS: on a semi-related side note, I’m beginning to think some of the L-Tacs are being used on simplex/talkaround at times. Sometimes the patch goes up and they quickly move to L-Tac, and I lose them completely.

Found this..
"NOTE: Mobile traffic is not rebroadcasted over the output frequency of the dispatch channels. Instead, only a beeping tone is broadcast to signify to the field units that someone is talking. To monitor units in the field you must program in the input frequencies also. The corresponding L-TAC channel is included in brackets."

How would I add the input frequencies to the channel? I already have the input frequencies put in as their own frequencies, how would I connect them?
Would I just need to be near the area and be scanning both the dispatch frequency and the input frequency?

Living in Orange County (E), and LAPD’s reception being just a bit iffy at my house, South Bay going dark, etc. I find myself tuning into LA County more and more often when I feel like listening to law.

I have to say, I’ve been listing to LASD on and off since I was a little kid (25+ years) and the beeping always annoyed me enough to lose interest.

Only in the last few months have I come to realize the benefits (as a scanner listener). For instance, if I want to passively listen, say while working at my computer or around the house, I can scan every dispatch channel and completely tune it out mentally. When the dispatcher puts up the patch it’s like having my own personal screener there to tell me something worth listening to is happening. If I scanned every LAPD dispatch channel my scanner would never stop talking. I get that there are other nuances that make your ears perk up (urgent tone of voice, sirens, etc) but the busy tone makes it really easy to tune out and back in ultra-efficiently

PS: on a semi-related side note, I’m beginning to think some of the L-Tacs are being used on simplex/talkaround at times. Sometimes the patch goes up and they quickly move to L-Tac, and I lose them completely.
Did you find any solution to the beeps?

W6VVM

On a scanner, that’s all you need to do, just have them in there. The issue is they’ll have relatively limited range so you may not hear them. Also a good idea to not use delays, otherwise you wouldn’t hear the dispatcher reply.

W6VVM

Did you find any solution to the beeps?

There’s not really a way to get rid of them besides the input frequency workaround and that’s going to be hit or miss. Keep in mind, the units in the field hear the busy tone too. They only hear each other when the dispatcher puts up the patch.

On a scanner, that’s all you need to do, just have them in there. The issue is they’ll have relatively limited range so you may not hear them. Also a good idea to not use delays, otherwise you wouldn’t hear the dispatcher reply.
Gotcha. I'm around 4 miles away from the closest LASD area.. I'll be sure to test it out when I get closer.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I lost interest in listening to LASD about 40yrs ago because of the beep. You can program the mobile/input freqs as a priority channel and if your within range that works ok. The base can dispatch or talk then then the mobile replies you catch most of what they say then the scanner will lock back onto the base freq.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber

I can remember that annoying beeping back in the early 1970's when they were on low band, it was much louder back then. I always felt sorry to the deputy's that had to listen to that for 12 hours at a time.
The only thing more annoying was the Santa Ana CHP gong they had.
Hopefully when the sheriff moves to the new system the beeping stays behind.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
That beep units talking. It been that way on LASD since 80's from what i have read.
The beep has been in use since LASD was dispatching on low band VHF. Except for when the "patch" (repeater) is engaged, the only way to hear the mobiles is to monitor the input frequency.

I've found monitoring the dispatch frequencies to be not very productive. You'll find a lot more interesting traffic on the A-Tac and L-Tac regional car-to-car channels. If anything big happens, everyone goes to the A-Tac or L-Tac pretty quickly.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Back in the early 70's there was a period of extended low band skip during which I was able to monitor the LASD comms on their 39mhz frequencies in New Jersey. Back then the tone was not a beep but the annoying landline busy signal.

Engine104

Member since 2005

At the risk if hijacking the thread.. Let me just add that it looks like, per the RR database for LA-RICS, that once the system goes live, LASD dispatch will remain in the clear, but all L-TACS, A-TACS, etc will be encrypted. :(

At the risk if hijacking the thread.. Let me just add that it looks like, per the RR database for LA-RICS, that once the system goes live, LASD dispatch will remain in the clear, but all L-TACS, A-TACS, etc will be encrypted. :(
Yeah I see. Going off topic here, but what’s the estimated date of the system going live? Will the entire system go live at the same time, or are other TGs within LA-RICS active, such as lifeguards? BEECF0BC-2D67-4326-9791-ABA0EE5F2B44.jpeg

Last edited:

Engine104

Member since 2005
Fortunately, the Lifeguards are in the clear (Indicated by the "D" in the mode column), as are most of the LACoFD talkgroups, thankfully, though Air Ops isn't (Indicated by "DE"), which seems weird to me. The system seems to be slowly coming online. Please pose the question in the LA-RICS discussion in this forum about when the entire system will be live. I asked that question last year, so maybe there is newer info available.

Status
Not open for further replies.