Latest CHP Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Sounds like they're doing a field survey on Newhall today, Tan 2 - 45.7. Some units are coming in pretty broken. This district might take a little more work than the others.

scanfan22

Yep hearing that too. It's interesting how we are hearing both techs (chippers) and units on it. I like what I'm hearing for the most part. I'm wondering when TEAL 2 will be tested and completed?

"You're 10-2 on TAN -2" - Dispatch to LA Chippers

BTW TAN 2 is sounding better and stronger than TEAL 1 or TEAL. I hope TEAL 2 is improved once the change is made.

Last edited:

DPD1

What kind of surprises me his how they test these. Seems a little primitive with the call-ins and everything. Just off the top of my head I can think of a few things that would basically offer automated geographical field testing, without anybody having to say a word, and the data would be 10 times better.

spock00

What kind of surprises me his how they test these. Seems a little primitive with the call-ins and everything. Just off the top of my head I can think of a few things that would basically offer automated geographical field testing, without anybody having to say a word, and the data would be 10 times better.

Care to elaborate?

gman65

Premium Subscriber

Would that take into consideration the variables in the types of equipment in the field units? There is still some variation out there. The vehicle equipment change over is supposed to be near the end of this process. I know a motor officer who has said he has to use his cell phone frequently to get out on the Teal.

Keep in mind also that Newhall and Altadena both cover areas with significant terrain challenges.

Those involved can correct me if I'm wrong. But my expectation is that we will hear a great deal of poor quality coming from mobiles for a while and much improved reception from dispatchers until the CPVE portion is implemented.

code3cowboy

I would love to learn how to test a system to know what the true real world performance is in real world conditions without actually testing it with real world equipment in real world conditions. How does your software factor in alternator whine, 3 dozen other transmitters keying at your receive site, and flocks of birds in your MW path? How about modeling for a radio that is older and not as well tuned as a newer radio? Does your system account for all buildings and sources of RFI? How about the fleet of hams on 6 meters BSing as the patrol officer is trying to get a return on a plate that is 10-36 F?

There is no substitute for a real world test.

DPD1

I would love to learn how to test a system to know what the true real world performance is in real world conditions without actually testing it with real world equipment in real world conditions. How does your software factor in alternator whine, 3 dozen other transmitters keying at your receive site, and flocks of birds in your MW path? How about modeling for a radio that is older and not as well tuned as a newer radio? Does your system account for all buildings and sources of RFI? How about the fleet of hams on 6 meters BSing as the patrol officer is trying to get a return on a plate that is 10-36 F?

There is no substitute for a real world test.

I don't recall saying anything about software modeling.

If you have a constant signal from the repeater to pickup, then receive that with the typical model radio. Then that signal gets analyzed and software grades the strength as you move along, constantly attaching a location to it though GPS. All that could be collected every route you take, and the reverse done by a receiver at the repeater location. That would give a full graphical map of basic performance everywhere you drove. Of course there could still be tweaking done using normal voice later, but that would be a good basic ground point to show where the problems are to start. It would beat basically saying 'can you hear me now' 500 times in a day.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
DPD1:

Those field markers are entered into a software program similar to the the TAP Package in the link. I don't know what software the CHPPER'S crew is using, but all that field data will be used to tweak the system later. You really have to conduct a field test to get good data. Anyway, most of those field markers are pre-assigned, however, some will be random location checks.

http://www.softwright.com/index.html

Last edited:

jlanfn

California Database Admin
If you have a constant signal from the repeater to pickup, then receive that with the typical model radio. Then that signal gets analyzed and software grades the strength as you move along, constantly attaching a location to it though GPS. All that could be collected every route you take, and the reverse done by a receiver at the repeater location. That would give a full graphical map of basic performance everywhere you drove. Of course there could still be tweaking done using normal voice later, but that would be a good basic ground point to show where the problems are to start. It would beat basically saying 'can you hear me now' 500 times in a day.
Back when they were testing Orange-2 I also wondered why they didn't use a testing setup similar to what you describe. I can think of a couple potential benefits. Instead of an assortment of points, between which it may not be accurate to interpolate signal quality, you get much more continuous data. You also get a more descriptive rating of signal quality rather than simply "10-1" or "10-2".

I am not suggesting this should be done instead of the voice testing they did, but it seems like it could simplify the testing process by making voice tests more efficient.

DPD1

DPD1:

Those field markers are entered into a software program similar to the the TAP Package in the link. I don't know what software the CHPPER'S crew is using, but all that field data will be used to tweak the system later. You really have to conduct a field test to get good data. Anyway, most of those field markers are pre-assigned, however, some will be random location checks.

SoftWright LLC

Thanks... I was just trying to think of a more automated way to collect the data, then put it in something like that.

Sounds like they're using the Tan today.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
It could be Teal, Pink, Gold, Pink, or Yellow. Hopefully it will be Teal because the new Teal-2 input is the old Tan mobile channel (42.84Mhz).

Progline

Premium Subscriber
This morning, they are in repeat mode, PL 186.2, and they sound a bit weaker down here in the valley (on an indoor antenna). No traffic on the old TAN. Is the cutover a done deal?

gman65

Premium Subscriber
Friday around noon I heard the Newhall & A.V. units on blue directed to switch to Tan 2 for roll call & to give their location and signal quality. They've been there since in repeat mode.

West Valley is still on the Teal. If West LA is on the Blue now, their next based on what the rest of Southern has done. The crews should be fairly quick on both Pink & Teal as both areas are esentially flat and nearly all urban and as has been indicated in other threads the install crews are top notch. Tan and Brown both covered areas with difficult topography.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
The crews just released the Pink-2. It probably won't go up until Monday. Work on the Gold-2 starts next Wednesday per the techs. After all the primary colors are finished , the Blue-2 work starts.

DPD1

Friday around noon I heard the Newhall & A.V. units on blue directed to switch to Tan 2 for roll call & to give their location and signal quality. They've been there since in repeat mode.

West Valley is still on the Teal. If West LA is on the Blue now, their next based on what the rest of Southern has done. The crews should be fairly quick on both Pink & Teal as both areas are esentially flat and nearly all urban and as has been indicated in other threads the install crews are top notch. Tan and Brown both covered areas with difficult topography.

Don't forget about the Malibu hills area. But that probably won't slow them down much.

Status
Not open for further replies.