LMRN General Discussion

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Given that the secondary FleetNet control channels were used as the current LMRN control channels, I've noticed Unitrunker has selected some different frequencies for control channels now on some of the sites I can reach.

Whitby (37)

King City (39)

Mowat (40)

Muxlow

Super Secret
EMS portables are APX6000's so 7/800 MHz only with 3 zones in them.
PSRN DVR (Exact same channels as the FleetNet VR but all AES)
PSRN INT (All AES channels in it)
FleetNet VR (Whats currently in use in 700 MHz)

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Interesting development; the Toronto (Site 40) that has not transmitted in some time has been dropped off the neighbour lists of many other sites. I do not see it on Whitby, Fonthill, Niagara Falls, Hamilton, Mississauga, Ballinifad, King City, etc. Noticed it because all peers were showing up in red on Whitby which I'm continually logging, and when I rebuilt it, was missing Toronto. It appears it transmitted "OUTDATED INFO" on all sites at some point today.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I saw this also off site 31 Sarnia. Was showing sites 14 Wallaceburg, 19 Wardsville, 20 Windsor, 25 Goderich were all isolated and outdated info, but site 27 Ipperwash site was showing online, still. Closed DSD+ then opened it back up and they all came back online and were fine.

Maybe some little blip?

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
So I know almost everything is going to be encrypted and obviously P25P2, but I do have to ask about a couple of things. Would that include the OPP patches with the local departments (for instance LPS)?

For EMS wouldn’t the base station pagers still be analogue? I’m not sure how that would work.

Are they killing off MOH Paging and MOH provincial Common?

If the agency they are patching to is encrypted, then the patch will be as well.
Hmm, I would think that would mean that they’d have to share the encryption keys with the other agency, but that’s way over my head. Oh well. Just gotta enjoy it while I still can. Don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to hear stuff

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Nope... in a nutshell, a radio from each system is interfaced to the other and they pass decrypted audio through. The current FleetNet radios work the same way. It's the same for patching dissimilar systems like P25 and DMR together, too.

gary123

One major indicator the system is getting ready to go active or enter into a new testing phase will be all the LMRN sites to go active and have the neighbor site lists current.

I still say the longer the better :).

Jradioptbo

Can confirm Peterborough 3India units now have new PSRN radios. I was parked across ftom the detachment for 15 mins in the plaza with the scanner.
The cruisers have the new antennas. The mobile repeaters are VR01 771.7437 67 PL
FleetNet site 25 is still active on 142.800. Nothing on the alternative control channel.
I will monitor for new control channels 141 to 143 MHz. It looks like they switched over a few days ago.
They now have progressed this far east

gpsdepot

Over the last few days the King City and Toronto towers have disappeared. Maybe a few more as well.
This is from the MIssissauga tower...

1710855986142.png

mciupa

I have seen this too. Hamilton is failed and isolated from time to time.. At one one point on the weekend, Sunderland was on/off.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Sunderland has been going on and off pretty continually every day for the last month. I have a few "Info Outdated" messages logged as well. I'm also seeing Whitby lost it's King City neighbour.

Noting that I've still yet to see Pontypool come back to life, it's been off for a very long time now and not showing as a neighbour for anyone for quite a bit too.

mciupa

I just fired up Fast Lane and I am not receiving any control channels in the GTA area, as far down as the Niagara Region.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
I spoke too soon. Pontypool has come back online after being MIA for months. Looks like everything is up except King City and Toronto, who have both been removed from neighbour lists too.

I have my SDS200 on LMRN Pontypool. Control channel is at times full-scale signal strength (4 bars), with scanner displaying "Data".
Then signal drops off to nothing for a few seconds. Then comes back full scale.
Are control channels intermittent in Phase II systems?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Are control channels intermittent in Phase II systems?

Not that I've seen. Rock solid non-stop data transmitting for months here. Been locked onto the Whitby signal for a solid 2 months now and see no interruptions in my logs.

I don't see any fail / isolation from Pontypool since it appeared back on the neighbour list too.

mapleradio

It still boggles my mind that we're spending $765 million on this project when we could be selecting something more affordable from another vendor. There must be a better product on the market that would have given us better, quicker and easier use.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
It still boggles my mind that we're spending $765 million on this project when we could be selecting something more affordable from another vendor. There must be a better product on the market that would have given us better, quicker and easier use.

Does the $765 Million price tag include software licenses, service & maintenance for the 15 years of planned operation?
I think nearly everyone has caught on that buying the low-tender up front purchase for a big radio system was just a fraction of the total cost of ownership. I see municipalities now tendering for radio systems with long term support contract pricing as part of the vendor selection.

The mobile package, which includes the APX P25 mobile, a P25 full duplex Futurecomm repeater, and a P25 APX portable is probably about $25,000 to $30,000 installed in the vehicle. The old FleetNet package with analog repeater and tait portable was $14,000

With 4500 OPP and perhaps 1000 EMS units, and then 500 Others, that could reach $150 to $180 million in purchase price.
Technology service contracts run 10-15% of purchase price annually, so $15-$20 million a year to maintain the mobile packages.
I can see $450-$500 million just in deploying and managing the mobile packages over 15 years

Some other vendors have Bluetooth remote mics, or simplex mobile repeaters that only repeat the portable transmit signal, but for OPP and EMS, the full duplex mobile repeater is needed when they are in remote areas and are on foot away from their vehicle.

Police and EMS in an urban city typically have way more vehicles / employees in a much more dense geography, so they find it more economical to have more tower sites in their trunking system, and have portable unit coverage designed into the radio infrastructure rather than mobile repeaters.