LMRN General Discussion

Muxlow

Super Secret
Can confirm that radio ID's starting with 75 are EMS. My EMS Supervisor buddy checked a bunch of their mobiles and portables and all have 75XXXX id's on them.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Must of had radio training today or will be, and medic units are just snooping thru the radios. Or maybe they just got their radios installed and having a looksie

I'm running DSD and Unitrunker on the same site and I see affiliation requests like these on DSD, but on UT it shows as a CHECK. My guess is after so many hours if that radio hasn't had any transmissions, or data sent it does a check and if no replay after a while, maybe it deregisters it from the system.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
The number of radios endlessly cycling through affiliating is down to one, at last on Whitby. There was a spree of days with radio checks on new radios every few minutes, but it seems to have died off now. Suppose they've moved onto another site, perhaps.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I'd be surprised if Ottawa Valley area has even started to replace the radios in vehicles yet.
Just looked at the Ottawa OPP Twitter and you'll see that officers still have the UHF Tait portables, so my guess is that's still along ways away

gary123

Last I heard they are working in the north of Orillia area changing out hardware. Ottawa is going to be way down the timetable list.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It appears they're following the same roll out plan as the original FleetNet. Which makes sense, as S/W Ontario would likely have the oldest hardware.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
I note that RR now lists a Queens Park 700 MHz site.
That makes a lot of good sense for Portable Radio coverage around QP and the various Gov offices at Bay/Wellesley/Grosvenor.
I'm going to make a guess that the 700 MHz "Queens Park" site in on the Mowat Block office at Bay & Wellesley which is a 24 storey building. That proximity to Queen's Park provides higher RF levels for building penetration, without regard to antenna height on the 24 storey building.

However, with many new and much taller buildings in downtown Toronto since the original Fleetnet deployment, a smart RF design would be moving the VHF Toronto site to taller/better site, such as either the CN Tower or First Canadian Place. VHF coverage in Toronto will be more important as the OPP will be policing the Don Valley Parkway and QEW. I'll bet the "Toronto" VHF site is on the VHF master antennas at CN Tower.

The site numbers jumping from 49 to 110 (Orillia) to 145 (Queens Park) is interesting. A gap of 61, and then a gap of 35 sites.
Zone 2 and Zone 3 site numbers could fit nicely in those gaps. There will be about 35 ish sites in eastern Ontario.

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
Last I heard they are working in the north of Orillia area changing out hardware. Ottawa is going to be way down the timetable lis
It appears they're following the same roll out plan as the original FleetNet. Which makes sense, as S/W Ontario would likely have the oldest hardware.

SW Ontario has more spectral options because the 138-150 band in the US is typically only used by lightly by the DOD.
Good for duplicating both old and new systems, and using many VHF channels while in duplication of systems.
Once SW and Central Ontario are on Type II modulation, and the old Fleetnet is discontinued, that will ease the spectrum crunch because each PSRN channel has two voice bearers/ time slots.

VHF spectrum is more difficult to manage in Eastern Ontario, within 160-200km of Quebec, because both Hydro Quebec and the RENIR provincial networks in Quebec also use the 138-150 MHz range. Frequency coordination, including managing adjacent channel interference is more difficult and intricate work when the spectrum is congested.

I think you'll see Eastern Ontario migrate in chunks that match CACC areas for EMS.
But because ambulances regularly transport or cover into other CACC areas, the mobiles have to be equipped to roam between Fleetnet and PSRN in the adjacent area. I would expect a wave from west to east.

Attachments

• East CACC Map.png
    East CACC Map.png
    988.4 KB · Views: 17

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
However, with many new and much taller buildings in downtown Toronto since the original Fleetnet deployment, a smart RF design would be moving the VHF Toronto site to taller/better site, such as either the CN Tower or First Canadian Place. VHF coverage in Toronto will be more important as the OPP will be policing the Don Valley Parkway and QEW. I'll bet the "Toronto" VHF site is on the VHF master antennas at CN Tower.

I'll bet you're wrong :) The OPP have sufficient coverage in Toronto now and the CN Tower would provide too much coverage. The 700MHz system is most likely replacing the old Queen's Park UHF repeater for security.
Once SW and Central Ontario are on Type II modulation, and the old Fleetnet is discontinued, that will ease the spectrum crunch because each PSRN channel has two voice bearers/ time slots.
Phase II not Type II.

VHF spectrum is more difficult to manage in Eastern Ontario, within 160-200km of Quebec, because both Hydro Quebec and the RENIR provincial networks in Quebec also use the 138-150 MHz range. Frequency coordination, including managing adjacent channel interference is more difficult and intricate work when the spectrum is congested.

You're overthinking this. The Government already has the frequencies they need from the old FleetNet. With a Phase II system, they've doubled the talkpaths so no new frequencies are needed, so I'm not sure why you think any coordination with Quebec is necessary?

rneals

Rosco P. Coltrane
Feed Provider
You're overthinking this. The Government already has the frequencies they need from the old FleetNet. With a Phase II system, they've doubled the talkpaths so no new frequencies are needed, so I'm not sure why you think any coordination with Quebec is necessary?

During the transition, they operate both FleetNet and LMRN. In that mode it takes more RF channel, not less.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They'll operate FleetNet with less channels as agencies migrate. As one agency migrates over, channels are moved from FleetNet to LMRN.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet the "Toronto" VHF site is on the VHF master antennas at CN Tower.
As well, when it was online, another user noted the LMRN site 40 seemed to be transmitting towards the northern part of the city.

Muxlow

Super Secret
During the transition, they operate both FleetNet and LMRN. In that mode it takes more RF channel, not less.

I've seen this with a few systems now. New system for an agency has the same frequencies as the old system.
Once it comes online for testing, they normally take 2 frequencies from the current/old system to use on the new one. 1 freq as a control and 1 for a voice.

Last couple agencies I've seen upgrade to new gear all happen within a matter of 1-2 hours.
Dispatcher would say "Okay, everyone switch over to the new system" and conduct a radio check. They log out of the old system and onto the new one and . . . boom. Then they go over to the next user and same thing have them change to the new system and that's that. Once everyone is over, the old system is taken offline and all voice and control channels are now only live on the new system. Easy as that!

I've seen one dept. even patched the new and old system as it was a larger one, and took a little longer to move everyone over. So, I don't see that being an issue for FleetNet/PSRN. Even the PSRN sites I'm watching have had some voice traffic but only on a single phase 2 frequency that is also still in use on the FleetNet tower. All that will happen if both frequencies key up at the same time more or less is the FleetNet tower will just see that channel as busy and skip to the next one.

Word on the airwaves is Essex County will be the first to move over and start using the new system. That is one of the sites I monitor non stop and have seen zero activity on it. I've got more affiliations and the odd radios keying up now and then off the Sarnia tower then Wallaceburg, Chatham, Leamington or Windsor's.

gary123

Often old school is best. You really cannot beat a basic repeater(s). Its simple and hard to screw up. Not that some current service shops cant mess it up anyway. XXXXXXXXXX I am talking to you. 800MHz curly antennas on VHF "because you had a pile of them in the shop you had not used"..... really!

Everyone must bear in mind that taking a basic service requirement such as simplex or repeater and adding in digital modes, several TG, timeslots, encryption, zones, departments, dispatch consoles, interop, sites, radio authorization and radio ID is way overkill. Quit trying to get fancy and in over your heads. Stick to what the customer needs. Clear and reliable communications between point A and B. If you really really feel the need to add all kinds of bells whistles and have never done it before then FFS use your industry contacts and ask some one who has done it how to do it. Yes it eats up a bit of pride, but you end up with something that works out of the box rather than a system that is loaded with multiple layers of issues.

The proof of this is the fact that many of the people in these threads can easily design or describe a basic system for a single or multiple users. Remember the membership here are not tech's or engineer's but just hobbyists. They have not lost sight of the idea of keep it simple and stick to what has been proven to work. End rant LOL.