• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looks Like Baofeng Finally Did It

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtU

Since the "new" radio appears to be a UV-82 series with custom firmware, how has the 82-series fared with the spectral purity and other technical issues?

I have not seen any spectral problems with my UV82 on my R2100/HS service monitor or my R2660 monitor.
I do know others that have tested UV5Rs and certain lots seem to have had problems.

KD8DVR

I have not seen any spectral problems with my UV82 on my R2100/HS service monitor or my R2660 monitor.
I do know others that have tested UV5Rs and certain lots seem to have had problems.

The UV82X (220 one) is a mess on 220! The 70cm harmonic is almost as strong as the fundamental!

I understand, however, the 70cm version is fine.

KD8DVR

Hi, this radio has been for sale for more than a week now on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/GMRS-V1-Repe...mhz-400-520-99mhz/dp/B01LWOLZ8L/ref=sr_1_sc_1

I came here to see if anyone was using it yet?

I personally am waiting for the Terminator-8r From Anytone that can be rebooted into GMRS MURS only mode, or rebooted back to Amateur commercial mode.

https://anytonetech.com/TERMN-8R

This was done to get around the transmit out of band requirement in the certification process for 95

Since it can change modes from the front panel, I doubt it will fly. The FCC version of the manual was fudged to make it look like all it could do was transmit on one band. I think they are just coming out with new stuff and forgetting about that Anytone route..... hence the new radio.

Anytone Tech and Baofeng Tech are the same guy. The new GMRS radio approach they have is 100% compliant with no cutting of corners or fudging.... looks like they are playing it super straight now.

Everything they sell now looks to be all compliant. I feel comfortable buying from them.. and I have bought from them.

ArtU

Since it can change modes from the front panel, I doubt it will fly. The FCC version of the manual was fudged to make it look like all it could do was transmit on one band. I think they are just coming out with new stuff and forgetting about that Anytone route..... hence the new radio.

....snip .

Yes I know about the one you mention above, and that there are close ties between the two. However word has been out about Anytone changing the 8R so you have to reboot it into FRS/GMRS or Amateur modes.

In FRS/GMRS mode , front panel control is locked out.

This is really needed if you want one radio to talk on GMRS and Ham and be legal, the new GMRS-V1 does not solve this issue.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The radio may have been "for sale for more than a week" but those of us who've already ordered one were advised by Radioddity that TierII had some potential bugs yet and invited to postpone delivery until the last week of October for delivery, when they hoped to have the bugs fully worked out successfully.

ArtU

The radio may have been "for sale for more than a week" but those of us who've already ordered one were advised by Radioddity that TierII had some potential bugs yet and invited to postpone delivery until the last week of October for delivery, when they hoped to have the bugs fully worked out successfully.

I think you are referring to the DM-5R and not the GMRS radio..as it is the DM-5R radio transmits on both DMR time slots when updated to Tier II mode..and until they come up with the proper TDMA mode will only work simplex..as it will cause issues on repeaters and also not get in to them..

Also Radioddity was also saying the MD-390 was a dual band radio and taking pre-orders for them before they came out so take that as a notice on their statements from that source...

KD8DVR

Yes I know about the one you mention above, and that there are close ties between the two. However word has been out about Anytone changing the 8R so you have to reboot it into FRS/GMRS or Amateur modes.

In FRS/GMRS mode , front panel control is locked out.

This is really needed if you want one radio to talk on GMRS and Ham and be legal, the new GMRS-V1 does not solve this issue.
Rebooting the radio Is the same as front panel control. Perhaps, I should say, the radio is "Field programmable" which is the real issue. It was always able to be changed via a reboot. I don't see anything that changed, other than rewrites to the manual.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not indicate a claim of actual fact.

ArtU

Rebooting the radio Is the same as front panel control. Perhaps, I should say, the radio is "Field programmable" which is the real issue. It was always able to be changed via a reboot. I don't see anything that changed, other than rewrites to the manual.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not indicate a claim of actual fact.

Hummm..Moto and other part 90 radios can be that "if you know the password" so that doesn't fly in my Opinion..

KD8DVR

Hummm..Moto and other part 90 radios can be that "if you know the password" so that doesn't fly in my Opinion..
Different. Anyone can reboot a radio.
The password of the Motorola can be kept from the user in the field.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Every now and then, I like to scroll through radio listings on the FCC, see if any new GMRS type 95a certified equipment gets approval. That way I can see if there is something in the future if I might by it. Looks like Baofeng finally created a type 95a certified GMRS Transceiver. This should make alot of Licensed GMRS users happy. Not sure when this will be put into production, I might buy one if the price is good. From the looks of it the final action date for approval was last month. Thoughts?

https://fccid.io/2AGND-GMRS-V1

Best 54 dollars I have ever spent. This radio is solid. I am sold on BTECH (Baofeng) products. Half the price of Wouxun, better performance, and LEGAL.

Hans13

The part 90 Alinco DJ-500TB (2nd gen) can be rebooted into a menu and opened up. No password needed. It's obviously the product of cooperation between Alinco and Anytone. (Heck of a good radio, BTW.)

On topic: I'm glad that someone finally took the initiative to get a locked-down firmware on a good CCR like the UV-82. Being a GMRS user, I firmly believe that there was definitely a need for a certified, decently performing, inexpensive handheld. Next ought to be a full powered mobile based on a reliable CCR model.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I think you are referring to the DM-5R and not the GMRS radio..as it is the DM-5R radio transmits on both DMR time slots when updated to Tier II mode

AFAIK there aren't any Tier II DM-5Rs in the wild yet, due to bugs discovered in the required firmware and/or update process. All I've seen so far is Tier I.

ArtU

Best 54 dollars I have ever spent. This radio is solid. I am sold on BTECH (Baofeng) products. Half the price of Wouxun, better performance, and LEGAL.

Thanks for the review, I am on the verge of ordering it from Amazon ...

Now to get the real scoop on the DMR DR-5..

KD8DVR

Thanks for the review, I am on the verge of ordering it from Amazon ...

Now to get the real scoop on the DMR DR-5..
You and me both

JP-Hollywood

Does anyone know if the GMRS-V1 has a removal antenna? The picture does not make that clear to me. I see pinch marks on the sides so my guess would yes but you never know.

Anyone have one of these and can comment on their performance?

Thanks,

JP

Hans13

JP-Hollywood, as far as I can tell, the GMRS-V1 is a UV-82 with special firmware. The UV-82 isn't that bad of a CCR. It has a removable antenna so I am pretty sure the GMRS-V1 has a removable antenna as well.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the GMRS-V1 has a removal antenna? The picture does not make that clear to me. I see pinch marks on the sides so my guess would yes but you never know.

Anyone have one of these and can comment on their performance?

Thanks,

JP

Yes the antenna is removable. Male SMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.