Los Angeles Frequency's Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I was free scanning this morning and found 172.4500MHz NAC 148 anyone know what agency this is ? assuming its federal somekind of Law Enforcement activity

SCPD

QRT
Good to know, had difficult time with that one cool "California Boarder Patrol" I take it..

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What else is pretty is good is CHP to listen too. Fire gets old after a while too, so you have to find a new flavor of the week.

SCPD

QRT
Yes very true, I do listen to CHP (Brown) sometimes.. kind of funny they still on old analog system yet they have to other freq's that are digital in the 700MHz's not sure what's going on that ?

pepsima1

Banned
Well it looks like from the RR database that they are using these 700mhz spectrum for vehicle extenders which I have never been able to pickup any of these 700mhz frequencies in the Greater LA area.

I think they are still on their older VHF system because of budget cutbacks and the millions of dollars its going to take to upgrade their statewide system. Probably a cost of over 500 million probably.

I think within a few years you will see them migrate off of VHF and go straight to 700mhz system. Its most def going to be 700mhz for sure since its already in use. Not sure if it will be a statewide trunked system or APCO P25 conventional system. Yes they do need to get off of the old VHF system for sure. I bet they have a lot of communication problems because I hear car units and dispatcher complaining hear and there.

SCPD

QRT
On my Scanner (396xt) I have CHP Brown programmed on my personal favorite bank along with CHP via "RR database" Primary 769.4312MHz which from time to time I pick up traffic and sometimes a simulcast of CHP base freq "44.7400MHz" but never hear anything on what is called "Alternate" 769.9187MHz" I know LAPD & LAFD including some local PD will soon be upgrading to the "LARICS" system Phase II 700 MHz trunking, could there be any connections ? I wonder

pepsima1

Banned
LAPD is not going to LA-RICS. Chief Charlie Beck wants to stay on their APCO P25 Conventional system. This is from the notes that I have read on LA-RICS. Not sure about LAFD either. LASO will probably move over to LA-RICS.

SCPD

QRT
incredible, I cant believe this, I was sure that they would upgrade to that system..? Maybe they use it at least for Surveillance - Detectives traffic, hard to imagine they wouldn't utilize that system.. Cool I was so worried that I mite not be able to purchase a Phase II scanner waiting to see what Whistler is going to come out with

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Beck not "on board"?

LAPD is not going to LA-RICS. Chief Charlie Beck wants to stay on their APCO P25 Conventional system. This is from the notes that I have read on LA-RICS. Not sure about LAFD either. LASO will probably move over to LA-RICS.
Is that in their meeting minutes somewhere? I hadn't seen or heard anything to that effect, and Beck has been supportive in the past, including assigning full- and part-time staff to them.

pepsima1

Banned
Is that in their meeting minutes somewhere? I hadn't seen or heard anything to that effect, and Beck has been supportive in the past, including assigning full- and part-time staff to them.

I was reading somewhere at the time way back when they started meeting that they were going to stay on their own system because of the cost to The City of Los Angeles to do an upgrade.

Maybe over time within the next couple of years things might change due to more funding. The City has done some major cut backs within the past few years. Hopefully more funding from the state will give the city more money for upgrades.

The City of Los Angeles is compliant with the APCO P25 standards so we shall see. Anything over a period of time can change at a moments notice.

I am just wondering how the frequency spectrum is going to go since alot of the different agencies run their run on different spectrums.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
For now LA City seems committed to LA-RICS.
They continue to participate and hold seats in board meetings and various committee groups and have made long term commitments including putting in frequencies for eventual LA-RICS pool.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Good to know, had difficult time with that one cool "California Boarder Patrol" I take it..

To be accurate, it is Customs and Border Protection (CBP), with the Border Patrol and Field Operations being two agencies within CBP.

- Chris

pepsima1

Banned
I know that LA City Fire for sure will jump on-board. I have talked to some of the fire personnel and if any of the firefighters lose or damage their radios they are not replacing them. That means if they go into a fire without a radio they can't go in alone. They will have to buddy up with another FF that has a radio.

Either its from budget cutbacks or they are not replacing their XTS5000 lines of radios. I had a guy contact me about buying one of my XTS 5000 radios that is on the 800mhz band and I would not sell it to him since I would not feel safe that its a perfectly solid radio. I did not buy the radio new so I would not feel comfortable knowing that a public servant was going to use it for life safety measure.

So I could see LAFD for sure jumping on the wagon which would be awesome since they have a really old 800mhz conventional system.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Chris "Customs and Border Protection (CBP)" I heard that Motorola is no longer assembling the "XTS5000" and that LAPD may now switch to the "Motorola APX7000" radios

Status
Not open for further replies.