Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Okay a couple of points from someone who worked in the aviation industry. Removing the outside identification from the aircraft does not change the maintenance operations that deal with them. What you are removing is the outside appearance of the aircraft (basically while in flight). Once gear doors are open - aircraft identification marks can become visible. There are lots of other ways that maintenance teams and flight operations people coordinate the aircraft. If you are expecting an F16 to show up and a KC135 pulls up to park at the designated spot - you are beyond any physical identification issues with your operations. Common sense applies in most cases.

Another thing is that the US Army apparently has already started compliance with the process a while ago - and the US Army seems to have a good handle on their operational fleet.
From working in MOC (maintenance operations center) at a large base, we dispatched assets stuff, to the aircraft tail number (that "should" be at spot X-XX), ie the mait super wants a -86 for red tail 0045, should be on spot 6, row 12, so that's what we relayed to AGE, they would take it the area and position it based on the tail number.

As I said, should be interesting listening to mait. comms., at least for awhile. ie. avionics goes to the wrong plane, they didn't figure it out till the looked at the 781.

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Some information on Giant Voice is here

The reference says its integrated with bunch of other comm systems... |In the past it was a giant PA system.

to try and get a handle on it, most active bases conduct a daily test, usually around noon, with a siren sound prefaced by the loudspeakers saying this is a test of giant voice. If the info is relayed by RF (usual arrangement) try scanning for the test.

At some places, there are lots of tests to check coverage over hard to cover areas.

Thanks
Joel

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Was watching latest Alaska Airport show on Smithsonian channel and showed USAF C-12 mission practice to a remote mountain
radar site that is used by NORAD for missile detections.. Bunch of them all over Alaska.
Seen those C-12's before using callsign NORTH.. Here is one now on ADSBX #84-0147 BE-20 returning to Elmendorf.
1677719388354.png

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
From working in MOC (maintenance operations center) at a large base, we dispatched assets stuff, to the aircraft tail number (that "should" be at spot X-XX), ie the mait super wants a -86 for red tail 0045, should be on spot 6, row 12, so that's what we relayed to AGE, they would take it the area and position it based on the tail number.

As I said, should be interesting listening to mait. comms., at least for awhile. ie. avionics goes to the wrong plane, they didn't figure it out till the looked at the 781.

Thanks
Joel
Okay I see what you are saying and the presumption is that all of the aircraft are the same type....i.e. KC135 or F16 or whatever.
Based on that - I shall ask if there were never any difficulties since all of the information was painted on the side of the aircraft (as they are currently before this change). If there were never any issues then this change will make a big difference and your comms remark would make for some interesting listening. However, if the issues occurred even with current markings then the problem is not with the paint job - its with personnel paying attention to details. I would think just in civil aviation there are other markings not easily visible from a distance (or obviously in flight) that help everyone install the part on the correct aircraft. Does the military use log books like the civil aircraft ? Whether written or computer nowadays.

Mark

Premium Subscriber

Thanks
Joel
I don't think USAF AMC will strip every tail of info but prob just some for special overseas ops.
Kind of like the all white C-32B aircraft we see bouncing around the World. Doesn't always mean spy mission.
Pax River E-6B's inbound for Maint just give their last 3 digits of their tails to let ground crews know who they are.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
I don't think USAF AMC will strip every tail of info but prob just some for special overseas ops.
Kind of like the all white C-32B aircraft we see bouncing around the World. Doesn't always mean spy mission.
Pax River E-6B's inbound for Maint just give their last 3 digits of their tails to let ground crews know who they are.
Yeah I used to have a customer who made it difficult to see the registration. They had three of these aircraft and flew to places that even their original flight plans did not give away. Credit to the photographer since I am using their photo

1677720926860.png

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Okay I see what you are saying and the presumption is that all of the aircraft are the same type....i.e. KC135 or F16 or whatever.
Based on that - I shall ask if there were never any difficulties since all of the information was painted on the side of the aircraft (as they are currently before this change). If there were never any issues then this change will make a big difference and your comms remark would make for some interesting listening. However, if the issues occurred even with current markings then the problem is not with the paint job - its with personnel paying attention to details. I would think just in civil aviation there are other markings not easily visible from a distance (or obviously in flight) that help everyone install the part on the correct aircraft. Does the military use log books like the civil aircraft ? Whether written or computer nowadays.
The mait. log is part of the 781 series, but if they wait to look at the 781 series to verify what aircraft it is, thats a huge time suck.

I guess it should be pointed out its just AMC now, the only other marking on, for example an F-16, would be the crew chiefs name under the canopy, not that many people track aircraft with that.

At a place like Luke AFB, they have more than a hundred F-35's, I could imagine a lot of problems if ACC went to the same system.

It just reminds me of medical, where they sometimes administer medicines to the wrong patient.... In actuality, if a doctor goes to see a patient, and upon verifying the patients ID, they have the wrong record, its considered a report-able event, I can EASILY see that happening with aircraft.

Thanks
Joel

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber

Quite a delay between the time it landed and when I heard Loudoun dispatch units which is when I posted.
Looks like fuel burn off since quite a few Airbus A330-300 do not have fuel dump capabilities and then normal descent to a landing. Not that far into the flight from Austin Texas to Frankfort so more fuel on board versus further along in their flight.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
During the Dragon Endeavour launch to the ISS up the coast. Did manage to capture some video even through the clouds (from the roof cam).
Since it was basically cloudy, I decided to try monitoring for any signal hits on the radio. The Icom R8600 is programmed with some SpaceX licensed frequencies. So during the climb to orbit - it did capture some hits on 2040.5675 MHz - not sure what the modulation was but it did break the squelch about 5 times. Definitely not the same as a Shuttle launch on the old UHF channels but at least something to try in the future.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Maybe we shouldn't have operated 60 year old aircraft this long but even then I guess the B-52 is still going strong :ROFLMAO:
A well maintained aircraft can operate for a long time as long as replacement parts are available.

B52 First flight: April 15, 1952
KC135 First flight: August 31, 1956
DC3 Made in 1944 79 years old now upgraded and converted to BT-63

1677765968259.png

Attachments

• 1677766021556.png
    1677766021556.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.