Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Now unconfirmed reports of a plane down in Stauton, VA
On the surface this sounds like the Payne Stewart depressurization type accident some years ago but I recall his cockpit
windows were frozen over on the inside and fighter pilots couldn't see anything inside.

One of the Andrews F-16 pilots today said he couldn't see any pilots at the controls.No mention of ice or frost.
Maybe was a Medical incident and who knows till after more investigation.
No wonder F-16 signals got weak here as pilots were all on ZDC Brooke 285.450 which is way Southwest from myself and last
heard here by McEntire F-16's on their way back to Shaw last week... :(

adamt56

Unconfirmed but it seems like the plane was on autopilot and had an engine failure. A few UH-60s overflew the crash site at 8900 ft not too long ago.

Virginia State police still trying to locate the crash site via helo (responders on ground have visual contact)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230604-175520.png
    Screenshot_20230604-175520.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 26

listen13579

Staging area is now St Mary's Wilderness (which is exactly where the flight path ends).

Side note: I've heard multiple mentions of no cell service. I thought FirstNet was supposed to solve this??
Also no air to ground communications between many of the units. Lots of relaying vague information and asking if a unit can hear the helicopter or can the helicopter hover for a while.

Much different from an urban area where the helicopters and ground units are all on the same freq.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Staging area is now St Mary's Wilderness (which is exactly where the flight path ends).

Side note: I've heard multiple mentions of no cell service. I thought FirstNet was supposed to solve this??
As reference First net is ATT. Very limited ATT in many parts of VA. In the area they are in Verizon is not great either. At my house my FN phone sits in the truck as I have no coverage at home on it.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
A/R Res for Tomorow morning on AR-212 starting at 1430z-1730z both SW and NE at FL190-220.
A-10s like that 19k altitude A/R range :)

DC F-16's up I believe on ZDC 360.700 over the Bay sounded like Brave flight.. Also A/C apch active 327.125
COSMIC also on Huntress 260.900 one says he is cleared supersonic.. Says can't copy Huntress good on CONR-2.
Seems BRAVE and COSMIC flights working soon together on Alert scramble exercise.
COSMIC 01-02 now on ZDC 285.450 req FL330. Asking about bullseye location on Huntress 260.900.
BRAVE A/A 340.250 "I cant see anyone in the cockpit"
COSMIC asks Huntress if there is a tanker up? Assume reply negative as COSMIC then says I will be done in 30 minutes.
COSMIC says he is up in the Guard Dog CAP at FL250 260.900 and he tells BRAVE who is at FL240 he caught him though by going supersonic..
20230604_191524.jpg

adorsett

Having done wilderness SAR all throughout VA, you’d be amazed how easily you lose cell service once you exit the main highways. Many of the radio systems like STARS also lack ubiquitous coverage and even some of the repeated systems like SNP don’t work in all the nooks and crannies. That’s why we usually use VHF simplex for SAR ops and VDEM has a communications cache to include a mobile trunked radio system. In fact, many of their deployments are along Skyline Dr to provide coverage during incidents like this. But it takes time to get from Fairfax there and get setup and radios deployed. In the interim it’s normal to hear lots of simplex relaying going on as everyone shows up with their own radios all programmed differently.

One of the biggest issues I’ve seen with responders is they have their fancy single-band (saving money) Motorola APX and their agency is relying on a VHF cross-patch at the tower site to bridge to those on scene using VHF simplex. Thus when we are both standing in the same valley we can’t talk to each other. Some police departments issue their officers APX8ks with multiple bands but they are rarely programmed for operation off the trunked system and further lacking training on how to switch to a channel that’s VHF Simplex when it is configured for it.

FirstNet is not solving the ubiquitous coverage problem, it’s about solving the congestion problem when a major event occurs and the public are battling the responders for cellular bandwidth to do voice/data.

hrspotter

Jet noise lover
I believe Channel 10 in Baltimore has its helo over the crash site. My interpretation of what I see on FlightRadar 24.
1927 local - N98CL ADA908 onsite, NBC helicopter, was Channel 4 in 2017, not sure about current affiliation since it’s run by a heli charter contractor.

Attachments

• 72309235-A896-435E-B105-00BF6EBD4861.jpeg
    72309235-A896-435E-B105-00BF6EBD4861.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 13

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I believe Channel 10 in Baltimore has its helo over the crash site. My interpretation of what I see on FlightRadar 24.
No channel 10 in Baltimore. Channel 11 NBC Baltimore :) A channel 10 NBC in Philly.

Brother in Chestertown MD off upper Chesapeake Bay not too far from Annapolis said booms rattled him out of his garage.
The water really helps carry those booms like the Tester T-38's occasionally offshore the beaches.
Prob was COSMIC01 flight cutting across the Bay supersonic from A/C.. Wonder if Andrews F-16's made the DC area booms?
Question? if both COSMIC F-16's from A/C zipping across the Ches Bay went supersonic would it that be much louder?

Last edited:

adorsett

Brother in Chestertown MD off upper Chesapeake Bay not too far from Annapolis said booms rattled him out of his garage.
I’m in Pasadena about 2 miles from the bay and I can tell you it was extremely loud and shook the house hard. Thought it was an explosion and ran outside to see if anyone needed help. I’d equate it to a direct lightning hit in the backyard, maybe a little stronger.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Although the altitude doesn't change, this might be it. It takes off from Elethabethton, goes to Long Island, turns around and heads back where it disappears over Virginia. Strange.
Just wondering in these new aircraft auto pilot computers if no manual pilot input info near their destination does aircraft execute automatic rtb departure base return like this aircraft seemed to do.. Almost like a drone acting on lost input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.