Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1230- Order 66 (E-4B # 73-1676) off ADW heading back to Offutt. Came into ADW yesterday as Titan 25
Rare 3 E-4B's up now..
ORDER-66 #73-1676 inbound Offutt.
GORDO-14 #73-1677 right behind
AMID-99 #74-0787 .

Missing one I guess for Maint work. Seems #75-0125 last logged down in Texas 5/25/2022

SCAN-05 N805X CRJ7 going out on the test track offshore with GK 238.100.. pushes to 320.450 (Echo Control/AR636/ Atlantic Test Track)
"Later if we have time will be working just Northeast of Baltiimore".

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Caught the launch from Wallops from East Central NC.
yeah watched it here and as predicted about 2 minutes after launch a smoky contrail to the South
heading off to the Southeast.. If you didn't know better looked like a big squiggly airline trail :)

The ISS Station coming overhead also tonight in about 20 minutes down your way.
Should be lit well in sunlight even though dark down here

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
yeah watched it here and as predicted about 2 minutes after launch a smoky contrail to the South
heading off to the Southeast.. If you didn't know better looked like a squiggly airline trail :)

The ISS Station coming overhead also tonight in about 20 minutes down your way.
Not seen in Raleigh possibly too light out still.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Interesting traffic today around 1530-1630L, probably out of Patuxent. Remarkably loud & clear on my mobile in Mechanicsville, VA.
262.75 - KING 4 addressing SHADETREE. Lots of numbers and distances being called. This is Button-26 for KING 4.
243.00 - "Guard Checks" - test counts at distances of 60-70 miles. Can't be sure, but altitudes possibly 9500-10,000'.
313.5 - KING 4 agreed to switch here for other traffic. This may be Button-32
262.5 - can't be sure. Sounded like noise but could be encryption. Button-25 mentioned around this timeframe but can't confirm.
I have 262.75 and 262.5 both listed for VFA-213, but SHADETREE AFAIK is Rotary Wing Directorate at Patuxent.
These tests also seemed to involve establishing comm ranges, using both upper and lower antennas.
Unknown if related, but some military jet ranger '016' did a few things at Hanover County Airport, around 1900L before heading off northeast. Looked like red & white paint job from a distance, but might've been orange and white.
Am really enjoying this mobile setup in the car using a couple TRX-1's sharing a 9" antenna via a multicoupler. They sat in the car recording the op while I was at work teaching music lessons.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Attachments

• IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 22

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Interesting traffic today around 1530-1630L, probably out of Patuxent. Remarkably loud & clear on my mobile in Mechanicsville, VA.
262.75 - KING 4 addressing SHADETREE. Lots of numbers and distances being called. This is Button-26 for KING 4.
243.00 - "Guard Checks" - test counts at distances of 60-70 miles. Can't be sure, but altitudes possibly 9500-10,000'.
313.5 - KING 4 agreed to switch here for other traffic. This may be Button-32
262.5 - can't be sure. Sounded like noise but could be encryption. Button-25 mentioned around this timeframe but can't confirm.
I have 262.75 and 262.5 both listed for VFA-213, but SHADETREE AFAIK is Rotary Wing Directorate at Patuxent.
These tests also seemed to involve establishing comm ranges, using both upper and lower antennas.
Unknown if related, but some military jet ranger '016' did a few things at Hanover County Airport, around 1900L before heading off northeast. Looked like red & white paint job from a distance, but might've been orange and white.
Am really enjoying this mobile setup in the car using a couple TRX-1's sharing a 9" antenna via a multicoupler. They sat in the car recording the op while I was at work teaching music lessons.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Rgr you were hearing HX-21 testing their CH-53K testbed chopper KING 04.Hard to believe they have had it so long now.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
GOLD 11 off from Bangor at 07:55 local, currently off the coast of Newfoundland
Guess headed over for the next leg.
Latest batch of QEAF Advanced Eagles delivered

See down in Florida Tyndall got their first 3 F-35A's.

Last edited:

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
Reminder that the KMRB Air Show is Saturday, August 26th. Wouldn't be surprised to find C-17s, of course, and the website says there will be an F-22 there, too. The FAQs specifically say that scanners are permitted, which I thought was a nice touch.

frank3si

heading off to the Southeast.. If you didn't know better looked like a big squiggly airline trail :)

Here was my view, Mark, with an Avelo on landing approach photobombing the moment. Although to be honest, that 737 was arguably more exciting :LOL:

DSC00637 1500px.jpg

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
Well over a year ago when I joined this group, one of you was kind enough to send me the enroute freqs used by the KMRB C-17s when they fly the terrain avoidance track that runs from KMRB to the vicinity of Wardensville, WV. Their turn point at the south end is essentially my house and we get fleeting but window-filling views of them. I've lost that freq but need to put it into a new scanner. Would appreciate a repeat if that's not too much trouble.

Gee, while I was typing that, DECOY-84 went over on the track. If I don't know they are coming, they pass so quickly at low altitude that I can't run from my home office to the living room, which has a wall of windows looking down the valley. Usually they turn right outside the windows, level with the house but just down the valley. Easy spotting. But if they turn early, they're over the house. No problem hearing them, of course. Just need to open the second-story windows in case they want to fly thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.