Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
today around 2:30 3:00pm I had a AH 64 Apache and a ch47 Helicopters fly right over my house I got back inside to here them on the county airport Unicom channel . Does anyone know why they would land there only other time I have seen them here at this small airport is when we have airshows going on or VIP movement near by. And I don't think their part of this man hunt for the guy that escaped the county prison here this airport is to far west of the search area.
CH47 has departed southwest bound - Apache may be with them but not tracking

tail number 17-08243 for the CH47

Last edited:

mdmonitor

Couple of DC Nat Guard KC-135's offshore NJ one showing as DRAGO-51 heard entering with GK 135.725.
This soupy wx seems to hurt UHF with VHF working ok.

Rogue-1 T-38 departing Dulles turning SW.Rogue-31 departing KADW.Looks like all the T-38's will be bugging out for home

1115 local A-10C (AE1908) #79-0108 MD ANG coming SE bound from Canada towards Martin State.
Must have been at the London Ontario airshow.. Maybe two of them. MD ANG A-10's were scattered everywhere this weekend.
MD A-10 was advertised as static display up there.Pretty good show lineup
Airshow London – SkyDrive – Canada's Original Drive-In Air Show | Sept 8-10 2023 | London Ontario Canada
Mark,

I've notice reduced UHF reception lately, too. I'm surrounded by a group of very old, large trees. I notice that when the leaves get wet in this type of wx my reception goes down dramatically.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
High altitude balloon off the New Jersey coast at 66200 feet.....

1694361908820.png

Last edited:

JetWash

1240L Have a DRAGO51 on 279.525 setting up for a flyby. For Washington football game?

Correction at 1252L: ADSBX identifies KC135. ADSB showed the flight path to be over the stadium at 1100 feet, but local TV was in a commercial break and didn't show it

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
COMPREHENSIVE TRIP GUIDANCE FOR MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2023

ICT
4:40 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Noi Bai International Airport, Hanoi, Vietnam en route to Anchorage, Alaska

AKDT
12:05 PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Anchorage, Alaska
2:00 PM THE PRESIDENT departs Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Anchorage, Alaska en route to Joint Base Andrews

EDT
12:15 AM THE PRESIDENT arrives at Joint Base Andrews
12:35 AM THE PRESIDENT arrives at the White House South Lawn

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
On Monday, September 11th, the President, the Vice President, First Lady, and Second Gentleman all will mark the 22nd anniversary of the terror attacks on September 11th, 2001. The President will travel from Hanoi to Alaska to participate in a memorial ceremony with members of the military and their families.

The Vice President will participate in a commemoration ceremony at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum in New York City. And the First Lady will lay a wreath at the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial to honor the lives lost on September 11th.

Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff will participate in the Flight 93 National Memorial Observance Wreath Laying Ceremony in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, to mark the 22nd anniversary of the terror attacks on September 11, 2001.

AF2 New York schedule will be posted when released.

Last edited:

hrspotter

Jet noise lover
Finally got a scanner, still figuring out how to use it. Loaded standard ops, tower, ground, app/dep, clearance, and crash frequencies for Oceana, Norfolk Chambers and Heliport, as well as GIANTKILLER and HSC base frequencies. Anything special I missed down in Hampton Roads? At some point during the week I’ll also put in everything for the Oceana Airshow.

A few questions:

Still working on home brewing an antenna, but how’s the range on the rubber duck antennas for air band? Similar to 2 meter ham HTs or more?

Are the VHF civil air band frequencies worth loading if there’s a mil UHF frequency for the same assignment (e.g. Oceana tower)?

Thanks!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Week Ahead and Monday travel schedule for the VP

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2023

At 6:05 am ET, the Vice President will travel from Washington, DC to New York, NY.
At 7:00 am ET, the Vice President will arrive at LaGuardia International Airport.
At 8:30 am ET, the Vice President will attend the 9/11 Commemoration at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

At 10:40 am ET, the Vice President will depart New York, NY en route to Washington, DC, from LaGuardia International Airport.
At 11:40 am ET, the Vice President will arrive in Washington, DC.

On Wednesday, September 13, the Vice President will travel to Chicago, IL for campaign event.

On Thursday, September 14, the Vice President will travel to Hampton University in Hampton, VA.

On Friday, September 15, the Vice President will travel to North Carolina A&T University in Greensboro, NC.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Finally got a scanner, still figuring out how to use it. Loaded standard ops, tower, ground, app/dep, clearance, and crash frequencies for Oceana, Norfolk Chambers and Heliport, as well as GIANTKILLER and HSC base frequencies. Anything special I missed down in Hampton Roads? At some point during the week I’ll also put in everything for the Oceana Airshow.

A few questions:

Still working on home brewing an antenna, but how’s the range on the rubber duck antennas for air band? Similar to 2 meter ham HTs or more?

Are the VHF civil air band frequencies worth loading if there’s a mil UHF frequency for the same assignment (e.g. Oceana tower)?

Thanks!
On my last couple visits, I had a TRX-1 with a rubber duck and could hear them checking in and out of W-72 and W-386. However, not much range at all on tower or overhead if you get even a mile or more from the base. Oceana also seems to handle a fair amount of civilian traffic--particularly to its south.
Would be curious to know what kind of scanner you have, and how many memory banks are available. The TRX has 200 'Scanlists' so I keep tower VHF & UHF in separate lists, as well as approach VHF & UHF, air-to-air, squadron bases, etc. There's a lot of freqs to watch, but once you find action you're probably going to want to narrow down your scan.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
2nd Gentleman headed to PA later today.

At 1:00 PM ET, the Second Gentleman will arrive at John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport in Cambria County, PA

At 2:00 PM ET, the Second Gentleman will participate in the Flight 93 National Memorial Observance Wreath Laying Ceremony in Shanksville, Pennsylvania

At 4:00 PM ET, the Second Gentleman will depart John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport en route Washington, DC

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
2nd Gentleman headed to PA later today.

At 1:00 PM ET, the Second Gentleman will arrive at John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport in Cambria County, PA

At 2:00 PM ET, the Second Gentleman will participate in the Flight 93 National Memorial Observance Wreath Laying Ceremony in Shanksville, Pennsylvania

At 4:00 PM ET, the Second Gentleman will depart John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport en route Washington, DC

hrspotter

Jet noise lover
On my last couple visits, I had a TRX-1 with a rubber duck and could hear them checking in and out of W-72 and W-386. However, not much range at all on tower or overhead if you get even a mile or more from the base. Oceana also seems to handle a fair amount of civilian traffic--particularly to its south.
Would be curious to know what kind of scanner you have, and how many memory banks are available. The TRX has 200 'Scanlists' so I keep tower VHF & UHF in separate lists, as well as approach VHF & UHF, air-to-air, squadron bases, etc. There's a lot of freqs to watch, but once you find action you're probably going to want to narrow down your scan.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
It’s a BC125AT with 10 banks.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
I’m using a BC-125 and its duck here in WV. My very approximate, rule of thumb is that it will hear airborne VHF and UHF two counties over. That’s a very crude measurement. I have VHF and UHF in different banks and lock out what I don’t want. I have two of these little things, one always in the car for airport monitoring and one as a walk-around at home. They really eat batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.