Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Rainy day poking around and thought been a long time since McGuire AFB had a
Pudgy KC-46 delivery., Then spotted article about WW2 Fighter Ace Thomas McGuire and his P-38 "PUDGY".
All makes sense now!

Thomas_McGuire.jpg

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 70s/80s remember hearing comms in the clear from AF1 on those UHF downlinks (415.9?) if memory serves me right. And on the "orderwire".

Back in the 70s/80s remember hearing comms in the clear from AF1 on those UHF downlinks (415.9?) if memory serves me right. And on the "orderwire".
Yes, I think it was 407.85 (Echo) and 415.7 (Foxtrot)

paradiver

Some type of tower based on google street view. Very low but obviously directly across from the airport.

I wonder if this is this the Alternative Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Ground Station as described in the attached document. The link gives a Google Street View

Attachments

• Lo_IONITM_2015_ADSB_Ranging.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

Tank67

Premium Subscriber

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Altrav tankers piling up at Pease. Yesterday a couple CLEAN tankers and now today a couple GOLD tankers.
GOLD-85 KC-46 #15-46066 KGSB to Pease.
GOLD-86 KC-135 #63-7995 also scheduled to Pease.
GOLD-96 KC-135 #58-0036 KSKA to Pease.
CLEAN-02 KC-135 #60-0331 MacDill to LGSA Souda Bay.
Could be busy Monday.

Ex Tomcat pilot on the Ike deployment.. He knows some of the players. Ike will hang around offshore a while to collect its Airwing.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
CLEAN03/13/12 (haven't heard 02) 'Hall to Souda Bay individually this morning
Yes looks like all of them are pressing on to Souda Bay CLEAN 1,2,3 and 11,12,13.
Seems they are staging to pick up a Westbound Altrav perhaps.. Supposedly a bunch of Shaw F-16's
departed the sands area and maybe to Souda Bay yesterday.Seems like routine rotation.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
NYTimes: The Air Force is also rushing additional land-based attack planes to the Persian Gulf region, doubling the number of F-16, A-10 and F-15E squadrons on the ground. Combined with the four squadrons of F/A-18 jets aboard each carrier, the United States will have an aerial armada of more than 100 attack planes, officials said.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
Man I wish I was scanning back then.
There were some disadvantages. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, while it’s true that virtually all non-military comms were in the clear (and most of those were, too), changing freqs wasn’t easy. The scanners were all crystal-controlled. If you wanted to add a new freq, you ordered the correct crystal from the crystal company and waited for the mail to deliver it. Then you’d take the screws out of the scanner, slide the chassis out, plug in the new crystal and reassemble the case. Most scanners could hold eight crystals. If you wanted more frequencies, you bought a second scanner. And we did.

There was no searching a range of freqs, obviously. Sixteen-channel scanners showed up later and I once presided over four of them. And programmable scanners that could receive VHF air came along later. If you wanted a simpler life, you stayed on HF.

paradiver

Don't know, but it looks like the Google view has been around more than a few weeks and that antenna probably not the cause of the ADSB hit.

Mystery solved:

It is part of dedicated calibration equipment that transmits on 1090. attached you will see the FAA order that dedicates the 1273 squawk to such equipment.

Cool Report from MIT on DABS Calibration Performance Monitoring Equipment [1979], too large to include.

Another one on Corbin Street is pinging on AirNav RadarBox. Shows as an ASDE-X Hex ADF9DD. Both are pinging on Corbin.

Attachments

• FAA_Order_JO_7110.66G_NBCAP.pdf
    440.2 KB · Views: 5

paradiver

NYTimes: The Air Force is also rushing additional land-based attack planes to the Persian Gulf region, doubling the number of F-16, A-10 and F-15E squadrons on the ground. Combined with the four squadrons of F/A-18 jets aboard each carrier, the United States will have an aerial armada of more than 100 attack planes, officials said.

When I came home from work last PM, the last 2 DMs holding over at KMTN were gone. Earlier in the week looked like extended range tanks were being pulled out and a couple were fitted to 175th A-10s

freqhopping

Mystery solved:

It is part of dedicated calibration equipment that transmits on 1090. attached you will see the FAA order that dedicates the 1273 squawk to such equipment.

And know what else is squawking 1273?

ADF967 B270E02
ADFB95 ELW01

They're just not transmitting their actual location.
1273–1275 Calibration Performance Monitoring Equipment (CPME) "Parrot" transponders

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Week ahead out for POTUS...

Monday, October 16, 2023
The President will travel to Pueblo, Colorado

Friday, October 20, 2023
The President and the First Lady will travel to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware where he will remain over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.