Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

Mark

Premium Subscriber

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
OT that Alaska B-739 which had panel blowout in flight looks like doorway
but guess it is a temp hatch they use during plane assembly and is then sealed. supposedly.
On a Boeing 737-9MAX that would be a normal exit door for airlines that have to meet the requirement for extra doors based on passenger load configuration. Alaska does not use this door in their configuration so technically it is a plugged door. My guess is somewhere in the assembly or inspection process the door was not secured to the proper torque - so it gradually loosened after several (well many) pressurization cycles. I think it was delivered in November 2023 so perhaps 100 flight cycles.

Definitely should not happen but Alaska is good at record keeping and NTSB will determine where the fault lies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
On a Boeing 737-9MAX that would be a normal exit door for airlines that have to meet the requirement for extra doors based on passenger load configuration. Alaska does not use this door in their configuration so technically it is a plugged door. My guess is somewhere in the assembly or inspection process the door was not secured to the proper torque - so it gradually loosened after several (well many) pressurization cycles. I think it was delivered in November 2023 so perhaps 100 flight cycles.

Definitely should not happen but Alaska is good at record keeping and NTSB will determine where the fault lies.
Thanks.. Media all over with explanations calling it a window,door or panel. Luckily at only 16k feet when it went.
Imagine if at level 32k and crew starting service and pax remove their seatbelts what a disaster it could have been.
Door may have struck tail as well..
Sure has been wild flying week for first week of the new year.. The A-350 Japan crash,B-1 bomber crash and now this.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.. Media all over with explanations calling it a window,door or panel. Luckily at only 16k feet when it went.
Imagine if at level 32k and crew starting service and pax remove their seatbelts what a disaster it could have been.
Door may have struck tail as well..
Sure has been wild flying week for first week of the new year.. The A-350 Japan crash,B-1 bomber crash and now this.
this is what it looks like when installed before they cover it with the inside wall panel - you can see the bolt structure along the side which you can see in the news media photos as well

1704555425079.png

Mark

Premium Subscriber
this is what it looks like when installed before they cover it with the inside wall panel - you can see the bolt structure along the side which you can see in the news media photos as well
At the railroad key heavy components mounted under train cars and locos we use those locking nuts on bolts
with that heavy plastic insert so if even not tight will not unwind off threads... Somebody really goofed here.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
At the railroad key heavy components mounted under train cars and locos we use those locking nuts on bolts
with that heavy plastic insert so if even not tight will not unwind off threads... Somebody really goofed here.
I would have to pull up the CMM on that section to see how it is secured but probably bolts with nuts and then safety wired. However the stress is much greater due to the pressurization and depressurization that takes place. Technically the fuselage is inflated and deflated with every flight so much more stress. Bolts may have been under torqued or over torqued - either way it can cause additional stress on those points.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
1053 local, I just picked up chatter on 376.175. I have that listed a USAF Boom Frequency, Does anyone have that listed as anything else??
Monitoring and hearing that activity as well. Will keep listening. There may be more aircraft active then we can see using ADS-B and related sources. They sound like fighters to me - maybe masks over their faces.