Monmouth County Fire

jpb

Premium Subscriber
I just received an email on this today. (The UHF county hotline)
The current 472 mhz hotline will be taken off the air on May 22 in favor of a new 700 band repeater. According to the email, it looks like a stand-alone 700 repeater with a regular PL of 151.4, not part of the 700 trunk system.
Perhaps I am wrong, but isn't analog prohibited in the 700 Mhz band by FCC rule? That would seem to rule out using PL 151.4.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Perhaps I am wrong, but isn't analog prohibited in the 700 Mhz band by FCC rule? That would seem to rule out using PL 151.4.
Not exactly. Analog is permitted as a "secondary mode", except on the nationwide interop frequencies. There is a trend in NJ of counties using the 700 MHz designated low power frequencies in analog mode for fireground ops.

As with a lot of FCC rules, the language is somewhat unclear, as the first sentence in 90.535(a) reads "All transmitters in the 769–775 MHz and 799–805 MHz frequency bands must use digital modulation.", but then they go on to lay out some exemptions for the use of analog modulation. 90.535(d) states "Transmitters designed to operate on the channels listed in paragraphs (b)(2), (5), (6), and (7) of § 90.531 must be capable of operating in the voice mode at an efficiency of at least one voice path per 12.5 kHz of spectrum bandwidth.", which technically narrowband analog complies with.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-90/subpart-R/section-90.535

Reactions: jpb

Mboy00

Premium Subscriber
Not exactly. Analog is permitted as a "secondary mode", except on the nationwide interop frequencies. There is a trend in NJ of counties using the 700 MHz designated low power frequencies in analog mode for fireground ops.

As with a lot of FCC rules, the language is somewhat unclear, as the first sentence in 90.535(a) reads "All transmitters in the 769–775 MHz and 799–805 MHz frequency bands must use digital modulation.", but then they go on to lay out some exemptions for the use of analog modulation. 90.535(d) states "Transmitters designed to operate on the channels listed in paragraphs (b)(2), (5), (6), and (7) of § 90.531 must be capable of operating in the voice mode at an efficiency of at least one voice path per 12.5 kHz of spectrum bandwidth.", which technically narrowband analog complies with.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-90/subpart-R/section-90.535
Couldn’t of said it better. Within the shore right now MC Fire Ops 1 is a prime example of this. It works great.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Couldn’t of said it better. Within the shore right now MC Fire Ops 1 is a prime example of this. It works great.
How is it used? Is it more like a fireground channel? Or is it something you can monitor a few miles from an incident?

Mboy00

Premium Subscriber
How is it used? Is it more like a fireground channel? Or is it something you can monitor a few miles from an incident?
fire ground yes, but only the paid agencies/the 43 use it on box alarm assignments due to not every agency in the county having 700/800 radios. on a good day I’ve seen it go a few miles.

lion2479

What is the Law Alert TG used for? Haven't heard anything on this yet. TG: 10002 2712 T Law Alerts

rr60

Premium Subscriber
@richee2000 only cause your special! It is in the DB. Often but not always pulls from the FCC DB. Take a look you can press on the pins for address. This does not guarantee but can indicate a likely site. I know you know how to verify. I then drop pins on my Google Maps of places I verify. Enjoy.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
@richee2000 only cause your special! It is in the DB. Often but not always pulls from the FCC DB. Take a look you can press on the pins for address. This does not guarantee but can indicate a likely site. I know you know how to verify. I then drop pins on my Google Maps of places I verify. Enjoy.

I understand the locations of the sites shown that are part of the P25 trunked System.... Are you saying the stand alone 700 analog hotline channel is located at all of these sites also? I think you are saying they are licensed for all these locations ...seems like we need to verify actual active sites.....yes.. plus this map only shows South Simulcast, I can also see the North sites...

Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring 771.53125 (PL 151.4) in Sea Bright... so far, no activity
I suggest no PL. CSQ. Never know if that is correct code. Also you may hear Morse ID with PL stripped.

Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Oh and suggest 472.7125 at the same time if not already doing that. This way it will be very obvious.

Mboy00

Premium Subscriber
Also another question for anyone that's up in the county... Just heard 39-21 was redispatched to a MVA that they we're already on scene for when it was x1 injury. Is this a county protocol..?