• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Minitor V problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4LAU

Watchdog

My VFD had many problems with the minitor pagers and poor service. We switched to the Watchdog by US Alert. After about a year of use we are very pleased. I can not comment on service because we have not needed it yet. They have a good warrenty and a super hot rx. They also have 5 ch capability with limited scan and stored voice. They are slightly larger than the M. Worth looking at!

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
I am currently testing a USAlert WatchDog pager. So far, I am very happy with everything about it. It cost at least $100 (each) less that the Minitor 5,is LOUD, is heavy duty/waterproof and comes with a 5 year warranty at no extra charge. Please IM me if you'd like additional information

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Well I did some further tests on the two bad pagers I have, and the results are interesting. It appears a component related to wideband (5.0 kHz deviation) reception has failed in these units.

When programmed to 154.600 wideband, in monitor mode, and using a PR400 on low power; the pagers will not open squelch at all with the radio just a few feet away. If I manually open squelch by holding down the reset button while transmitting, I can hear audio but it is so far down in the noise (and slightly distorted) that I can barely make out myself tapping on the microphone. If I transmit the tones programmed into the pager it still manages to alert as normal. I also noticed that when manually opening squelch, the white noise sounds low and muffled.

Using the same setup and simply un-checking "Wide band" in the pager software (and changing to narrowband on the PR400), the pagers receive normally. I tested this on both MURS channels that allow 5.0 kHz deviation and also an old fireground channel, and each time narrowband worked fine whereas the pagers were almost deaf on wideband. I also programmed the pagers to monitor the neighboring county's narrowband system (much busier than ours) with repeaters between 12 and 18 miles away. With one pager programmed narrowband and the other wide, the results were the same as when I tested them.

Anyone more familiar with the actual hardware design have any idea what would cause this?

Also, to the OP: What date code do your 'bad' pagers have? It is made up of the second and third letters in the serial number. Going through our files, it looks like every single one of our 12 "JC" dated pagers have had this same problem.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Thats really weird. Have you tried to set the pagers as narrowband on your current system? Like just change the pagers to narrow and see if it will work with the wideband system? Thats quite interesting either way..

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thats really weird. Have you tried to set the pagers as narrowband on your current system? Like just change the pagers to narrow and see if it will work with the wideband system? Thats quite interesting either way..

We have actually converted to narrowband since these pagers first went bad, I just didn't bother reprogramming them since at the time I thought they were completely deaf. They should work fine now, but I don't know how I would feel about issuing these pagers out since something is obviously broken.

I also forgot to mention that although I have never personally witnessed one going bad, our guys have said the pagers worked fine one day, and then the next they would just quit receiving anything but the alert. They also said they didn't drop them or anything beforehand.

Last edited:

fireguyastro

Premium Subscriber
Programming Question Minitor V

I have a low band Minitor V , I have R168 picked because I want to receive multiple fire agencies in my area. It seems that some of the alerts are going off for some reasons and some, Now I derived the tones from here on radio reference. Now the tones have been usually on key here. Now its possible the tones are correct but if some one can give me some ideas to look at id like to hear some input

fire701

Feed Provider
Have three new Mintor 6 pagers when I program them with the tones they will not encode but I know I have the right tones because I have another one next to it that will encode.
any suggestions and has anyone else had this problem

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Have three new Mintor 6 pagers when I program them with the tones they will not encode but I know I have the right tones because I have another one next to it that will encode.
any suggestions and has anyone else had this problem

Double check a few settings areas:

1. Function Switch Settings
  2. Channel Settings

Under function switch settings, make sure you've assigned the selective call option to the correct channel setting. Example "Selective Call F1 = Channel F1" and then select Tone, Vibrate, etc.

Under the channel settings, make sure the frequency and bandwidth settings are correct; if commercial VHF/UHF, should always be 12.5 kHz bandwidth; if amateur radio, then 25.0 kHz. Check the tone system you are using, if you know it's "Motorola" then select this option and use the "Tone Pick List"; if your tones are not in that list, then it's not a Motorola Tone System, you can also chose custom, but try and use a known tone system if you have one; trial and error to see where your fits unless you know the type. Finally, check the squelch setting; could be too tight, setting 3 is about perfect in most areas.

Please let us know if any of this helps; the Minitor VI's have proven to be excellent pagers; they completely blow away the Monitor V's.

Status
Not open for further replies.