• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

Make sure you get the 2135 key glowing red hot so it leaves a nice brand on his right shoulder so we can properly identify him in the field.
I was thinking more like the Medallion from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

[edit - capitalization]

a417

@BlueDevil

Watch out for this.
stupidmtr.png

That wire pair (this is from an active ebay listing, btw...ha!) shows you a common (stupid) mistake. The wire goes in the round holes below, the top holes are for the release tool. It usually might work, but if you look at it wrong it's not going to work when you need it. See if your tech friend literally put the wires in the wrong place.

If it is 2 wire, you use Line 2 + / - , not Line 1.

Last edited:

kb4mdz

............... I think you'll find a loose connection, or someone working in one of the telephone closets disconnected the circuit that had no dial tone on it (have had that happen before, tech needed a pair and just searched for the one with no dial tone on it and took it.)

Such things are worthy of a serious beatdown on the telco tech. I've also had telco techs testing leased lines in an analog voter system test by applying dialtone to the pair. Yes, honest to god, not lying. Sure makes dispatchers scratch their heads.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Such things are worthy of a serious beatdown on the telco tech. I've also had telco techs testing leased lines in an analog voter system test by applying dialtone to the pair. Yes, honest to god, not lying. Sure makes dispatchers scratch their heads.

It happens, but usually because the radio circuit was not documented or marked. I made sure our phone techs put protector caps over all the punchdowns and tagged the circuit everywhere it was accessible. Usually the issue is on the phone company side...

But still, it happens. Had a tech clip his/her tone tracer on the radio circuit once. Warble tone on the primary sheriff dispatch channel until someone could get to the voter and disable that circuit. Never found out who it was.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I had some free time this evening and I wanted to try out my 2135 key. I thought I would go take a look at the radio without the radio tech on site. So I made my way to the hospital and to the radio closet. Upon my arrival I found that the base station had been completely removed from the cabinet and was gone. I’m assuming the tech took it with him back to his companies radio shop in another city about 1hr away. This on top of everything else made my blood boil. On the up side, I did confirm my key works in the cabinet.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had some free time this evening and I wanted to try out my 2135 key. I thought I would go take a look at the radio without the radio tech on site. So I made my way to the hospital and to the radio closet. Upon my arrival I found that the base station had been completely removed from the cabinet and was gone. I’m assuming the tech took it with him back to his companies radio shop in another city about 1hr away. This on top of everything else made my blood boil. On the up side, I did confirm my key works in the cabinet.

I discovered years ago that some radio shops are not very good at what they do. I used to have a trunked systeM Made by a large well known coMMunications coMpany, we had a Maintenance contract with said big coMpany.
The "local" shop that we were required to use would pull all kinds of stupid crap, including sending out inexperienced techs to work on things, making us wait days before sending a tech out, etc.
I made it a point after that to avoid purchasing from said coMpany, and never, ever, ever, again using their maintenance contracts if I did.

If you have the ear of the hospital, maybe suggesting they find a service provider that is more responsive, and not getting hung up on big naMes.

kb4mdz

Given his apparent incompetence at dealing with the problem on site I worry that he's already bodged the disconnections & removal, and will be practically clueless when (IF!!) he brings it back. Keep us posted.

12dbsinad

So it's completely acceptable to take a hospital radio completely offline with no spare or temp setup? Man, we would get hung if we did something even remotely close to that and would be named in lawsuits if something happened because of no comms between the hospital and ambulance. That's a very basic set-up and even a green horn tech should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

I would just hang my new key on the key ring and keep walking. You don't want to be involved in that fubar situation.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The radio will transmit and pass transmit audio from the tone remote unit just fine.
The MTR2000 operates as a simple base station in simplex mode (TX/RX: 155.3400). In our system we don't use any DTMF codes to open the receiver or decoder. The base station operates with a TX/RX Tone of 146.2 Hz.

Picking through your comments. You have confirmed this is on a 2 wire circuit. Also confirming that TX works fine. This would indicate that the problem is likely not the wireline.

The Zetron HEAR decoder is a selective call device. Its job is to mute the RX audio until the proper DTMF code is sent by the ambulance and the call can now heard at the remote end of things.

You say they do not use DTMF tones and the only receive qualifier is a TPL of 146.2. My guess is at some time the DTMF code was deprecated and switched to the TPL for access. Somehow the receive was locked in the HEAR monitor mode to pass audio to the remote (with the proper TPL).

I don't think the tech "broke" anything but did reset the system back to original HEAR operation and did not realize what they did. If this is truly the case and you can confirm this is the way it should work then the tech should return the base immediately and set it up correctly to work with the way the field radios need to call into it.

If DTMF is not in the cards I would get rid the Zetron and program the MTR as a simple base station with wireline control without any other wildcards in the TRC table.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
So, first things first, if they hadn't already taken the radio, I would have told you not to touch anything! IF anyone thought you accessed that unauthorized, you and your department could have been held liable.

Second, the issue at hand smells of poor connections to the tone remote system. That is not your problem, it is the hospitals, who has a far bigger bank account and better lawyers than you do.

Third, the fact they have left the hospital without radio service is borderline negligent. If any radio shop around here did that, they would have been hung by the stuff in their pants.

Forth, this falls on the contracted radio shop. They are on the hook for the liability of a service not being able to reach the hospital via radio connection. Most states require this in their EMS law regulations (all pre-date cellular, and most recognize that cellular is a secondary service).

Finally, this issue should be considered a life safety hazard and the contracted radio service shop will be held liable if something goes wrong. They need to address the issue you found ASAP, but the hospital must establish the issue and process, not an end user. Most hospitals aren't shy to call out a radio shop if something is wrong. Regardless of your radio knowledge, the radio shop should (i would ASSume must) have a contract that states 100% continuous radio coverage. The RSS must fix this ASAP. It is a simple system and can be simply tested by a properly trained tech or even most amateur radio operators, but the RSS is the one holding the bag. If you touch anything, and they find out, they can easily transfer that liability to you.

From an RSS standpoint, if I can prove someone tampered with my equipment, I am holding their a$$ to the fire, and they are paying for any troubleshooting and repairs I have to do. If I screwed up, call me on it, and I will fix and support my system 110%, as most RSS will, but if you play with equipment I am responsible for, I am coming after you for tampering. Any changes you make does not fall under my coverage or contracts. That is why we sign contracts, to be 100% responsible for our work.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Radio has been down for AT LEAST a week. Now it’s completely gone.
3FC7E0D0-1BBF-41B3-8B17-C3B5956206B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.