MRRS System (MTA PD)

Thomasjstroh

Premium Subscriber
Actually an interesting development from one of the people I was assisting. I suggested to him that he try turning off the SDS200's global filter. As it is Uniden ships it set to "Normal", which means it's on. He set it to off and it worked; he's now hearing Harrison PD/EMS and numerous other agencies he was not able to hear before.

These filter settings are like snowflakes, no two are alike, so I suggested to the other gentleman to try them one by one and see if he hits the jackpot. Then, if it effects other monitoring targets negatively he can set the filter to work on just that particular system.

Thanks again for all of the input; much appreciated.
Still not receiving much activity with global off, any other ideas? My local is HARRISON, NEW YORK?

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@dave3825 Dispatcher call signs vary by troop, and I'm not familiar with Troop L, but I can provide a limited answer.

I suspect "9L0" would be a dispatch supervisor, or a radio technician--call signs vary by troop. For example, I have Troop G dispatcher call signs ranging from "9G4" to "9G19." It's up to the troop's discretion (as far as I can tell), and I would suspect the lower the number the higher ranking the supervisor (I suspect this is the case for numerous troops, and is likely the case for Troop L as well).

In regard to Troop L specifically: Per Long Island Area Scanning Resources, "L90" through "L99" are "Troop Communications." I'm not sure if that means radio techs or dispatchers (or both). While a vast amount of information on that page is long out of date, it's possible the "L9#" series remains radio techs (except "L99," a recruiter). And while call signs are left to troop discretion, it would follow the precedent of the Headquarters "H9#" series being radio technicians.

So, in short, I'm not sure, probably a dispatch supervisor.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Still not receiving much activity with global off, any other ideas? My local is HARRISON, NEW YORK?
How are you determining that you're not hearing much activity? As has been mentioned in this thread a number of times, the coverage of the MRSS system is lacking in some areas, and some areas are using LTE. If all subscribers are using LTE you're not going to hear it.

If that is not the case then you may need to play around with your filter settings, Keep the global filter off, but go into your settings for the site you are monitoring and try different filters to see which one works the best. For me I have to use the Wide-Invert filter at my location to listen to MRSS.

Thomasjstroh

Premium Subscriber
How are you determining that you're not hearing much activity? As has been mentioned in this thread a number of times, the coverage of the MRSS system is lacking in some areas, and some areas are using LTE. If all subscribers are using LTE you're not going to hear it.

If that is not the case then you may need to play around with your filter settings, Keep the global filter off, but go into your settings for the site you are monitoring and try different filters to see which one works the best. For me I have to use the Wide-Invert filter at my location to listen to MRSS.
What is LTE? I am not fimilar with that term? Thank You

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Thank You, I seem to have sucess with GLOBAL FILTER/OFF ?

Lol, which one is it?

If it's them having coverage issues in that area and supplementing with LTE, not much you can do. Looks like they have not had any rf on zone since 1 30 pm. Not sure if they are continuous on zone 1 or not.

1702239274021.png

If your having issues receiving the site, try and see if you can receive the zone 1 site. They are on that one also. I seem to remember a bunch of people in Port Chester having issues receiving the site.

Thomasjstroh

Premium Subscriber
Still having problems receiving Harrison New York in WESTCHESTER COUNTY, on the new system they are on....I have Global Filter OFF, but not receiving ?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Still having problems receiving Harrison New York in WESTCHESTER COUNTY, on the new system they are on....I have Global Filter OFF, but not receiving ?

I only see 2 voice grants for them today at 9 18 am.
Can you receive other agencies on the same system (MRRS) and same site (Zone 3 Simulcast)?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
So you got 2 issues. one is receiving the site and the other, trying to listen to an agency that uses LTE quite often.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
YES, it seems that the squelch to "0" is the key to receiving transmissions.
And a clear indication that either your radio is messed up or you have issues locking onto that site. Uniden recommends 2-5 on squelch.

1702319710503.png

While zero might work well for you, you will get blasted by static when you land on an analog channel without a dsc or pl tone. Just curious, what firmware version is in that radio?