MSP Post and Radio Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCO

Rob:
That particular document is not new, look at the projected dates in it.... and MPSCS is DTMB, not MSP...MSP isn't even close to being the biggest user on the system. I'm not sure of the exact money trail, but while MPSCS could benefit if it all went down the way you suggest, I don't see the gain for MSP in closing dispatch centers (I doubt if MSP would even be running the super centers).

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
That particular document is not new, look at the projected dates in it....

Agreed - just pointing out that this isn't a Snyder idea by any stretch.

MSP isn't even close to being the biggest user on the system.

Right, but the word is they would be responsible for staffing these centers$.

I don't see the gain for MSP in closing dispatch centers (I doubt if MSP would even be running the super centers).

I'm not sure if it's a gain for MSP as a whole - it's a gain for the state at the expense of the county/city systems in place (as well as trusting MPSCS and the Internet to NEVER EVER go down.)

OCO

I'm not sure if it's a gain for MSP as a whole - it's a gain for the state at the expense of the county/city systems in place (as well as trusting MPSCS and the Internet to NEVER EVER go down.)

Seems like the old DMB at its finest to me.. Never had a lot of love for 'em either in my 32 years at MSP or the 5 at DIT.... I guess I'd better be quiet - I want that monthly check to keep coming in from 'em.:D

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I think you guys are talking about Michigan House Bill HB-5927, which was introduced last year? This is the plan that calls for the consolidation of all 9-1-1 PSAPs into eight regional centers. Currently most of the counties in the Upper Peninsula are making plans to consolidate their 9-1-1 centers. This would drastically change dispatching for the MSP and other agencies.

73s

Ron

OCO

Yeah - I'm not sure why they're stopping at 8 .. get it down to 1, and then, since the dispatchers won't have much idea where the calls are anyway, they can outsource the whole thing to a call center in India...Radio tech's will only have one console to worry about - in New Delhi..

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Ron - the one introduced last month where Rep. Richard LeBlanc (D-Westland) wants to reduce the current 166 centers to ten.

Heard Trooper 1 and Trooper 2 check into MPSCS Talkgroup 2010 a day or two ago. First time I heard them on MPSCS. Any other talkgroups you guys hear Trooper 1 and 2 talk on. Do they have their own contact or Dispatch Talkgroup like the media helo Redbird N2BQ has LNS base to talk to on 450.4125 FM.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Who are Trooper 1 & 2? Are you referring to Aviation 1 (the chopper)? What is LNS base?

Thunderbolt

Heard Trooper 1 and Trooper 2 check into MPSCS Talkgroup 2010 a day or two ago. First time I heard them on MPSCS. Any other talkgroups you guys hear Trooper 1 and 2 talk on. Do they have their own contact or Dispatch Talkgroup like the media helo Redbird N2BQ has LNS base to talk to on 450.4125 FM.

Yes, they do. The MSP Aviation Group uses talkgroups 1261 and 1262, for Helo-to-Helo/Helo-to-Base comms. Last night the former was very active.

73s

Ron

What do you mean "The former" were very active? As in 1261 and 1262?

And

Right now at this very moment I am hearing Trooper 2 talk to "Base" on the Macomb Helo A/A freq of 123.025. I am very confused about that. Is that normal for Trooper 2 to use that freq as a dispatch freq like it sounds like he is right now? And I have still yet to hear them on 1261 and 1262 but I will keep listening.

Thunderbolt

Right now at this very moment I am hearing Trooper 2 talk to "Base" on the Macomb Helo A/A freq of 123.025. I am very confused about that. Is that normal for Trooper 2 to use that freq as a dispatch freq like it sounds like he is right now? And I have still yet to hear them on 1261 and 1262 but I will keep listening.

Yes, they can use any A/A frequency they want to. They have a base at Detroit City Airport, where they can refuel at. Likewise, they have often been on 123.050 A/A talking to other helicopters in the Detroit area.

73s

Ron

Thunderbolt

One of the units just asked Metro Dispatch what talkgroups they were using, and she replied, "The old D2NORTH channel is now D2: you will use this for all dispatch traffic. The old D2WEST is now the LEIN channel, this is where you will do file checks, request tow trucks, check license plates, etc." Interesting changes.

73s

Ron

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I think you guys are talking about Michigan House Bill HB-5927, which was introduced last year? This is the plan that calls for the consolidation of all 9-1-1 PSAPs into eight regional centers.
73s
Ron

This bill is being strongly opposed by the MCDA (Michigan Communications Director's Association), APCO (Associated Public Safety Communications Officials), & the Michigan Chapter of NENA (National Emergency Number Association). It would force a county PSAP that serves 99,000 people to consolidate with another county, which may also serve 99,000 people. The organizations listed above are of the opinion that the state should MYOB & let the counties handle consolidation on their own, which is what the vast majority of them are already doing.

What Rep LeBlanc is looking into is a plan for forced consolidation of county PSAP's, irrespective of population. It differs from the above bill because instead of mandating the PSAP's to consolidate, the state would be doing it for them. He hasn't introduced a bill (yet), but is still in the "fact-finding" stage; some staffers who work for various state legislators have visited some PSAP's to gather information -- my boss gave them plenty. The infrastructure build-out for this would be a massive capital expenditure, & would offset any savings that might be had; at least for a couple decades.

IMHO, both are cases of legislators under pressure to "do something" about the state's financial mess, & coming up with half-baked ideas, so they can show they are "doing something".

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
He hasn't introduced a bill (yet), but is still in the "fact-finding" stage;

Based on conversation with a 911 director I had at the Summit - the representative isn't really looking for "facts"...

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they have patrol sectors for Post 21 designated. Troopers aren't assigned a specific sector-related callsign like in the past, but 20 will say, for example "20 on the air for an Adam West car".

Adam- Oakland County; divided at least East/West, with West being the Novi/FH area
Baker- Macomb County (I think)
Charles- Wayne County (don't know for sure, but logically...)

Thunderbolt

I was listening to a one of the MSP 21 units checking into service last night. He asked Metro Dispatch if he was on the right channel (D2NORTH), and she replied yes he was. He told her that it is going to take a while to get used to the new radios in their patrol cars with all the extra buttons. So apparently, the state of Michigan has spent some money to upgrade MSP District 2's mobile radios. This explains why it is taking to long to reprogram the radios in the patrol cars. It's not a simple software flash they are receiving, but all new radios.

73s

Ron

I was listening to a one of the MSP 21 units checking into service last night. He asked Metro Dispatch if he was on the right channel (D2NORTH), and she replied yes he was. He told her that it is going to take a while to get used to the new radios in their patrol cars with all the extra buttons. So apparently, the state of Michigan has spent some money to upgrade MSP District 2's mobile radios. This explains why it is taking to long to reprogram the radios in the patrol cars. It's not a simple software flash they are receiving, but all new radios.

73s

Ron

Hahaha. Yeah I have heard troopers saying the same thing. New radios? So they new to MPSCS? What did they use in the past and how long ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.