My living room shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref-Jazzy

Very beautiful. Id love to see the antenna's.

also might I suggest, running VNC on your computers? its a remote desktop software (free) that would allow you to eliminate all but one mouse and keyboard. That would help clear up some desk space.

Token

also might I suggest, running VNC on your computers? its a remote desktop software (free) that would allow you to eliminate all but one mouse and keyboard. That would help clear up some desk space.

I do remote desktop (XP Pro and Vista Ultimate both support it), and I have a KVM system also. But, I find I want to see at least 4 displays at the same time in max resolution, so that is why there are 4 monitors and 5 PCs. I tried doing it all on one monitor and mouse, went back to four. I even tried doing it all on one 42" so I could have multiple windows up at one time, still ended up going back to multiple monitors.

Actually, there are several other PCs as part of the shack, only 5 of them are actually under the desk. I also have a remote PC with another WinRadio WR-1550e that I can bring up on these displays, and I also have a remote server (currently 8 TB storage) that I can bring up. All the recordings and such go to the Server, so that I can access anything from any PC in the house.

For that matter I can remote into the PC in the radio room that host the Flex-5000 and bring it up at this desk if I want to.

T!

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I do remote desktop (XP Pro and Vista Ultimate both support it), and I have a KVM system also. But, I find I want to see at least 4 displays at the same time in max resolution, so that is why there are 4 monitors and 5 PCs. I tried doing it all on one monitor and mouse, went back to four. I even tried doing it all on one 42" so I could have multiple windows up at one time, still ended up going back to multiple monitors.

I was going to start a thread asking what would be the best computer set up for mulitple SDR's I was going back and forth trying to decide, one large monitor or 2 smaller monitors, then leaning towards one computer with 2 24" monitors. But now after reading your post, when I return home I will measure my desk and see if I can fit 3 monitors and 2 computers. Thanks for sharing, really helps me out.

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
So, Token; have you queried PopComm yet, to see how much they'll pay you for the article? :)

frazpo

Old radio

The old radios on the shelf. I have one like yours on the 3rd shelf up from the bottom. They look very similar.
It's shortwave and has tag from Bureau of Ships. If I send pics could you tall me more about it??

Token

The old radios on the shelf. I have one like yours on the 3rd shelf up from the bottom. They look very similar.
It's shortwave and has tag from Bureau of Ships. If I send pics could you tall me more about it??

I could likely tell something from pics, yes. The radio in my picture (third up on the right) is a Hammarlund SP-600, also known by various J, JX, JL, and JLX numbers.

T!
Mohave Desert, California, USA

ETMegabyte

There are also 5 PCs installed under the desk to control radios and run logging and digital decode software. Each PC has a dedicated sound input, a radio that goes straight to it for record/decode, and also each radio goes to the mixer so that allows any radio or combination of radios to be sent to the amp/speakers, headphones, or separate record/decode PC.

There is other radio gear in the living room, but mostly just for display purposes. It all works but just gets turned on to show folks. For example:

This is impressive. I do have one question that I hope, beg, and pray you can answer... You state that you have PCs for radio control and "decode", specifically "digital decode"... Could you elaborate on this further? I have about a hundred old scanners here, and I have searched every place I can think of to figure out if there's a way to "decode" the digital sound that comes out of my analog scanners... Logically it seems to me that I should be able to, but the reality is that I can't find any information on it... Is this what you mean by digital decode?

ETMegabyte

Very beautiful. Id love to see the antenna's.

Another option instead of VNC is to use "Synergy". It will allow you to keep each of your screens in place, but set it up so that you use one mouse/keyboard. When you mouse off the edge of one screen, it pops to another screen. You'd set the "middle" monitor as the "server", then all of the client PCs would connect to it. When you go up, it'd go to the pc with the screen above the main one, right to right, left to left, etc... I use it here, and it works awesome! You can get it on Sourceforge. It's called Synergy2

Token

This is impressive. I do have one question that I hope, beg, and pray you can answer... You state that you have PCs for radio control and "decode", specifically "digital decode"... Could you elaborate on this further? I have about a hundred old scanners here, and I have searched every place I can think of to figure out if there's a way to "decode" the digital sound that comes out of my analog scanners... Logically it seems to me that I should be able to, but the reality is that I can't find any information on it... Is this what you mean by digital decode?

No, by digital decode I am talking about the many different digital modes sent on HF. SITOR, RTTY, ALE, FAX, NAVTEX, etc, etc. I also have a couple of SSTV pages set up that run 24/7 putting any images received on the SSTV radios up on the web.

Remember I said this location is primarily set up for HF monitoring. For VHF/UHF scanning I don't need anything fancy as all my local services are still straight FM, not even trunked, and mostly just VHF. The local PD does have a "secure" but that is a DES, so no hope there. Fortunately they don't use it often as it appears they must go direct when secure, like the repeater will not handle it or something.

T!

Token

Another option instead of VNC is to use "Synergy". It will allow you to keep each of your screens in place, but set it up so that you use one mouse/keyboard. When you mouse off the edge of one screen, it pops to another screen. You'd set the "middle" monitor as the "server", then all of the client PCs would connect to it. When you go up, it'd go to the pc with the screen above the main one, right to right, left to left, etc... I use it here, and it works awesome! You can get it on Sourceforge. It's called Synergy2

You are the second person to suggest Synergy. I have used a KVM system form Avocent in the past, but liked having individual mice and keyboards. I will, however, give Synergy a try.

T!

NoCoFire

Awesome

No need for a Christmas tree, just play a little Bing Crosby, some egg nog, and your all set!

Seriously, awesome set up. Antenna pics??

OHIOSCAN

You are the second person to suggest Synergy. I have used a KVM system form Avocent in the past, but liked having individual mice and keyboards. I will, however, give Synergy a try.

T!

Another choice is GBRIDGE, its a remote desktop setup that you can run multiple PC's at once from anywhere. I run 2 desktops from my laptop from any location.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.