Status
Not open for further replies.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
I need help programming the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority system (Motorola Type II Smartnet) for the BCD996P2 using FreeScan. The weirdest thing is that it was working a few weeks ago and I was messing around on my scanner a little and it just stopped working after that. The system is still there, it just won't transmit anything. I don't necessarily need anything else other than the Police Talkgroups.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You hear nothing? Possibly went encrypted due to the coronavirus? Some newer scanners won’t receive the encrypted stuff by design...

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Provided you haven't overwritten your FreeSCAN file that was used to successfully program the 996, you can reload everything back to the scanner. When you select "upload programming" in the FreeSCAN menu, check off all systems in "systems to upload", and select "erase all systems and settings", then "start upload". That should correct any manual missteps you may have made.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
You hear nothing? Possibly went encrypted due to the coronavirus? Some newer scanners won’t receive the encrypted stuff by design...
I don't think that's what happened. The same thing happened to another system that wasn't transmitting anything and I reprogrammed it and now it works. I'm going to try to reprogram this one.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Some newer scanners won’t receive the encrypted stuff by design...
No scanner can receive encrypted transmissions. It is illegal to do so.
I need help programming the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority system (Motorola Type II Smartnet) for the BCD996P2 using FreeScan.
Please attach your programming file and I will check it for problems. You need to right click on the file and send it to a compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it.

Make sure you use System Type "P25 Standard"
THAT IS INCORRECT! System Type is Mot Type II / P25.
You will need a custom bandplan:
BaseSpacingOffset

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I could see the confusion. Above systems are both showing "P25" but the actual system types in the scanner are MOT and P25 Standard.
At any rate, use Mot Type II / P25 as tvengr pointed out along with a Custom site type and Band Plan. I'm not sure what "Custom" is called in Freescan.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber

Please attach your programming file and I will check it for problems. You need to right click on the file and send it to a compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it.

BaseSpacingOffset

BaseSpacingOffset
Here it is:

Attachments

• WashingtonMetro.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 10

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the file. Save to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Site has system quick key 94.

Attachments

• Wash DC Transit.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 3

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
No scanner receives encrypted stuff PERIOD. Display-wise with the 996P2:
ENC appears if the channel is receiving encrypted voice in Scan Receiving/Hold Modes.

Incorrect... I have two Radio Shack Digital Trunking Scanners that receive encrypted stuff. They do not decode the encryption BUT do receive it. They pass the encrypted audio and it sounds like garbage.
MOST newer scanners will not pass the encrypted audio.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give my file a try. I just checked and the database didn't show encrypted. It's possible they did and the database has not been updated. Try putting the PD dispatch talkgroup on hold and see if it shows encrypted. My file has every talkgroup in the system. I doubt that everything would be encrypted.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
Give my file a try. I just checked and the database didn't show encrypted. It's possible they did and the database has not been updated. Try putting the PD dispatch talkgroup on hold and see if it shows encrypted. My file has every talkgroup in the system. I doubt that everything would be encrypted.
Which frequency would I check under while putting it on hold? Some are quiet and some are just displaying straight nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.